Why are people afraid of EE?

Harry'sMom07

Silver Member
I was just in the shower, having a think (it's where I do my best thinking ;) ) and wondering why people are so afraid to try EE, particularly if they're 'old school' and more used to original and green days?

I sometimes do green days and can honestly say that on occasion, I've had days where I haven't eaten a single piece of superfree fruit or veg :eek: I can fill up on pasta, rice and potatoes to my heart's content, have lots of cheese, cereal or bread (or whatever else for my b choices) and hardly eat any really 'good' food.

However, on EE, I have to eat at least 1/3 superfree at each meal. I eat loads of fruit and veg on EE days, plus I can eat 'normal' meals like spag bol or chilli and rice with the family.

It's quite obvious that EE will work if done properly, surely? You're having to eat plenty of superfree, which you don't necessarily have to do on the other plans.

So don't be scared people!! Give EE a try :)

Here endeth my musings.... :D

LOL!! I think people generally fear change so prefer to stick to what they're comfortable and familiar with rather than venture into the world of the unknown.

I don't think I'm scared of it per se, but yes I do think I'm comfortable (lazy might be a word lol) because I don't have to think too hard because I know the plan. I would like to try EE at some point but having just started back I'd like to get into the swing of the diet again.

I think you're right EE does sound healthier and I have definitely not been eating enough veg (plent of fruit) since I started back. I have been thinking funnily enough over the past few days that it's easy to make green days not quite so healthy if you're filling up on mugshots etc, but that's a choice and it's easy to make it healthy if you want. Thanks for the post you have given me 'food for thought' for want of a better expression! :)

Wendy

Should also have said I suppose on EE you can also fill up with mugshots etc if you want but at least you're getting plenty of veg alongside it. Again it's a choice if you want to indulge in the unhealthier side because I do personally think that mugshots, noodles and things cannot be the healthiest way to go.

Wendy

hear hear!! I started slimming world 2 weeks ago and i'd never done it before, so went straight onto EE...and its fabulous! I dont understand how anyone could actually do the red or green days when EE is avaliable! But I guess thats because I've never gotten to know the other ones!

I have heard some people say that it is because it is too close to 'normal' eating and they feel that they can't possibly lose weight that way. I'm doing EE this week for the first time properly having done green previously.

I have to agree, I do wonder why people stick so rigidly to red/greem when EE is the best of both. The possibilities for meal ideas are limitless, its easier to eat out, easier to feed the family all the same meals and ensures you get your fruit & veg! Why "limit" yourself to one type of food, when you dont have to?

I think Honeyoc is right a lot of people, particularly "old school" are too scared to try as it sounds too good to be true.
Well it's good and very true!!
Most of the group I attend are still doing the red/green as either they trust them more or say that they can't get their heads around EE as it's far too complicated!!!
A couple who have decided to venture into the unknown realm of EE after having disappointing or no weight losses have been pleasantly surprised!
Though I was "old school" first having joined SW in 2002, EE was music to my ears and exactly my dream "diet" as I found having to choose red/green days very restrictive as I liked both options together at the same time!
I am an advocate of EE and sing it's praises every time in group and it seems some are reluctantly going to give it a bash!
I don't know what's hard about it. From day one I found it as it says on the tin EE.
What is complicated about being able to eat what is free on either plan, eating 1/3 plate of superfree food, having 1 hexa and 1b? Also if unsure of syn value use whatever plan is lower if EE syns not mentioned. Simples ;)

I have to agree, I do wonder why people stick so rigidly to red/greem when EE is the best of both. The possibilities for meal ideas are limitless, its easier to eat out, easier to feed the family all the same meals and ensures you get your fruit & veg! Why "limit" yourself to one type of food, when you dont have to?

I suppose it depends whether you place a higher value on meat or your HEs. If you eat very little or no meat then green can be a better plan as you get an extra HEA and HEB. And if you want a bit of meat or fish you can use your HEB for it and still have a HEA left.

or if you don't value meat/fish at all..... Extra HEX mean more cheese! More alpen lights etc.
I started on EE but have since found that I'm willing to forego meat to do Green Days and in fact, am thinking of going vegetarian for life (obviously there is more to my decision than just SW considerations)
So I'm bucking the trend a bit - started on EE and did that for four months and now Green all the way. But I hope my EE training (the third superfree idea) has become a long term habit xx

I think it's a shame to tar everyone with the term 'old school' because they don't do EE. I think the beauty of SW is that it does give you a choice and perhaps they just prefer Green/Red days. I can't comment on which is better for me as I haven't tried EE, but when I do I will have an opinion and if I do prefer Green/Red it won't be because I'm 'old school' :)

I do totally understand it for vegetarians/low meat eaters. I guess soem people like the restrictions, so they feel like they are dieting? Kinda like why some people love WW and pointing their food.

I have heard some people say that it is because it is too close to 'normal' eating and they feel that they can't possibly lose weight that way. I'm doing EE this week for the first time properly having done green previously.
I must say I am surprised to hear that people feel that way as 'normal' eating in my book (by that I mean when I'm not on a diet!) doesn't constitute eating lean meat and veggies! I don't think I would worry about not losing weight as it does sound ubber healthy to me. I can't understand why they feel that way :eek:

Wendy

i think alot of people won't try it cause they can't understand why it does work and it doesn't feel like a diet to them.
i think the ones that do best on ee r the ones that don't need to know why it works it just does and they embrass it.
personally i love ee

I certainly didn't mean to offend when I used the term 'old school' :) I simply mean those that started SW when EE didn't exist and, therefore, totally have their heads around red/green and because it works, don't want to risk a change.

Obviously, green days are much better for vegetarians and those who aren't fussed about meat, but you can still do EE if you feel you want a bit more of a limit on your healthy extras.

Personally, I've never tried red, as I love my carbs too much, so EE suits me the best.

I think maybe lizie2008 meant 'normal eating' in the sense that you can have meat with carbs and veg in the same meal, which many people see as 'normal'. To me, steak and veg isn't complete without potatoes... :D Clearly, not everyone views things this way as we all have different ideas about what constitutes a 'normal' meal depending on our tastes, faith, upbringing etc, etc...

I must say I am surprised to hear that people feel that way as 'normal' eating in my book (by that I mean when I'm not on a diet!) doesn't constitute eating lean meat and veggies! I don't think I would worry about not losing weight as it does sound ubber healthy to me. I can't understand why they feel that way :eek:

Wendy

I think it goes back to 'too good to be true' I am not sure I understand perfectly myself but as it so much like normal eating, to their minds from what people have said, it can't work especially as there is more freedom of choice in what to eat. - I assume that is what they mean!:)

I think maybe lizie2008 meant 'normal eating' in the sense that you can have meat with carbs and veg in the same meal, which many people see as 'normal'. To me, steak and veg isn't complete without potatoes... :D Clearly, not everyone views things this way as we all have different ideas about what constitutes a 'normal' meal depending on our tastes, faith, upbringing etc, etc...

Thank you - this is exactly what I was trying to get at. I am not sure my explanation made much sense either:p

I was always wary of it. As i thought the sucess of sw with having one or the other. I did try it for a week and gained 1/2lb. Not sure if i was doing anything wrong or not but it has put me off a bit. I do have couple of ee days a week though. I find the one HEX hard

I think it's a shame to tar everyone with the term 'old school' because they don't do EE. I think the beauty of SW is that it does give you a choice and perhaps they just prefer Green/Red days. I can't comment on which is better for me as I haven't tried EE, but when I do I will have an opinion and if I do prefer Green/Red it won't be because I'm 'old school' :)

Like Harrysmom I did not mean to offend anyone by referring to them as "old school". I also meant the people who have been doing SW before EE and are happy with the way it works.
I was one of the "old school" and had the red/green drummed in but REALLY welcomed the change!

I certainly didn't mean to offend when I used the term 'old school' :) I simply mean those that started SW when EE didn't exist and, therefore, totally have their heads around red/green and because it works, don't want to risk a change.

Obviously, green days are much better for vegetarians and those who aren't fussed about meat, but you can still do EE if you feel you want a bit more of a limit on your healthy extras.

Personally, I've never tried red, as I love my carbs too much, so EE suits me the best.

I wasn't offended at all Harry'sMom, perhaps I shouldn't have picked up on the term 'old school' and should have said that I think there are people that are eating Red/Green who would be willing to try EE but just prefer not to. :)
I see what lizie means now, I was thinking outwith SW but yes if you're an SW follower then EE might be too close to 'normal' to try though again I am genuinely surprised as normal or not it's still healthy weight loss eating. I love posts like this as I think it's healthy to discuss the pro's and con's without just following the diet blindly it's good to think outside the box. So sorry if I sounded offended I sometimes just 'post whats on my mind' without thinking of how people will precieve it. :)

Back