Why are you on slimming world? answers here please.

I've got too many reasons to lose weight. I'm 24, and I've got multiple medical conditions - Psoriasis so severe I have to go on life threatening meds to control it. Psoriatic arthritis - a relatively uncommon type of arthritis. And very severe debilitating migraines.

I'm pretty sure i have been as much as 21 stone in the past (just under 20 at the mo) and as people have said... it makes everything very difficult. Just living. Buying clothes. Feeling good about yourself!

I started dieting in 2008. Had so many knockbacks - especially with a diagnosis of IBS on top of everything else I was in a very bad place :(

I joined WW first. Exercise was something I never considered in the past with WW because I knew exercise wasn't required to lose weight. I had the wrong mindset.

But nevetheless I lost a decent amount of weight and got down into the very top end of 16 stone.. which all very gradually piled back on. I found it very restrictive on ww and I always ended up either starving myself during the day & bingeing at night, or panicing when I didn't have a lot of points at the end of the day. I think the only reason I lost weight then was because I was smoking, and now I'm not!

The starting point to me "wising up" to the above mentioned mindset was starting the gym. I realised that life wasn't all about points. I found on WW I was obsessing with points and food to a point where it was really unhealthy.

I sorta bounced about a bit without much of a "dieting aid" since I started the gym in July. Then I joined SW and everything just seems to fit into place.:)

I don't want to bash WW because i'm sure it works for a lot of people - I couldn't fault anyone in the class or the points system, just wasn't me!

I've got one basic goal from all of this - being able to buy clothes from a normal shop. I've never been able to! Been a size 18+ since I was in school!:sigh:

Originally - I joined after seeing some rather unflattering pictures of me taken August 2008 at my brother's wedding. After my other brother then asked me to be an usher at his wedding in August 2009 - i knew i had to do something.

Now - why do i keep going? because it works. From being a walking heart attack waiting to happen and having no real life to speak of, i'm now the lightest i've been since i was about 12, enjoying life and with new energy and confidence i've never seen before and if i stopped going - i'd probably easily slip back into old habits and put it back on - and there's no way on this planet that i'm ever going to let that happen again - i've lost so much, but gained so much in return that i never want to loose what i've gained.

Your SW journals are so inspiring, you must be so proud of yourself with what you've achieved. Well done to you.

x

I've got too many reasons to lose weight. I'm 24, and I've got multiple medical conditions - Psoriasis so severe I have to go on life threatening meds to control it. Psoriatic arthritis - a relatively uncommon type of arthritis. And very severe debilitating migraines.

I'm pretty sure i have been as much as 21 stone in the past (just under 20 at the mo) and as people have said... it makes everything very difficult. Just living. Buying clothes. Feeling good about yourself!

I started dieting in 2008. Had so many knockbacks - especially with a diagnosis of IBS on top of everything else I was in a very bad place :(

I joined WW first. Exercise was something I never considered in the past with WW because I knew exercise wasn't required to lose weight. I had the wrong mindset.

But nevetheless I lost a decent amount of weight and got down into the very top end of 16 stone.. which all very gradually piled back on. I found it very restrictive on ww and I always ended up either starving myself during the day & bingeing at night, or panicing when I didn't have a lot of points at the end of the day. I think the only reason I lost weight then was because I was smoking, and now I'm not!

The starting point to me "wising up" to the above mentioned mindset was starting the gym. I realised that life wasn't all about points. I found on WW I was obsessing with points and food to a point where it was really unhealthy.

I sorta bounced about a bit without much of a "dieting aid" since I started the gym in July. Then I joined SW and everything just seems to fit into place.:)

I don't want to bash WW because i'm sure it works for a lot of people - I couldn't fault anyone in the class or the points system, just wasn't me!

I've got one basic goal from all of this - being able to buy clothes from a normal shop. I've never been able to! Been a size 18+ since I was in school!:sigh:

WW's didnt really agree with me either, SW is much easier to follow and relaxing.. not having to worry about this and that. Im glad SW is for you, good luck xx

WW's didnt really agree with me either, SW is much easier to follow and relaxing.. not having to worry about this and that. Im glad SW is for you, good luck xx

I just found that I was CONSTANTLY THINKING about food. I always knew in my head how many points I had remaining that day, and I could have read off the points value of nearly any food imaginable.

but you get a huge feeling of freedom on sw, I'll always be able to have a cheeky mullerlight any time I'm really hungry! :D

I joined SW back in March 2010, and to date have lost 4 stone 10 1/2lbs, and am hoping to declare target by Easter (fingers crossed).

The reason i joined was at Xmas 2009 i found a lump in my breast, thankfully it turned out to be nothing, but it made me think and re-evaluate my life. I have three young children and i want to be around to see them grow up, and as i was overweight knew i was putting my health at risk. So eventually (well 3 mths later) i plucked up the courage to go along to my local SW class alone, and i've never looked back.
I now have more energy and finally feel good about myself.

I was never skinny, even as a teengager, and slowly put on weight when I was at uni and met future hubby. I didn't really do much about it until we went on holiday and I got so depressed about the way I looked in a swimming costume that the holiday wasn't as good as it should have been. As soon as we got home I joined WW and within 5 months was at target (3 stone down) and engaged (I'd asked hubby not to propose until I was at target to give me something to aim for).

For a while life was great then gradually I got content, started eating 'normally' again and eventually I was heavier than ever. I tried WW a couple of times and managed to lose a little weight each time but still ended up over 5 stone above target.

One day a friend who was pregnant (and had been to WW with me in the past) asked if I wanted to join SW with her, since it was the only weight loss method that her midwife would recommend. I wasn't convinced at first - I'd heard about red days and green days and thought that it sounded a bit dodgy - however, when she told me that you could still eat bread and cheese on it I was well up for it (I missed both of those when doing WW).

Anyway we did the class for a while and I lost nearly a stone but then started a new job and couldn't get to class and then didn't do anything for another 6 months.

In November my niece was born and she is gorgeous. Hubby & I want to have children in a few years and I want to be healthy and thin before then, to minimise pregnancy complications and to be able to look after children and set them a good example.

SW is brilliant - lots of choice and I don't feel deprived at all. I see it as a way of life now and I'm definitely in the mindset to do it!

because i am fat! :-(

My answer is simple, I joined SW because it was a relatively painless way of losing weight. The plan quite literally consisted of foods I ate anyway, all I had to do was cook with less oil and I lost 3st in about 7 months. Now I'm 36 weeks pregnant and have put on barely a stone whilst following the plan, pretty good I'd say! Throughout my pregnancy my obstetrician has marvelled at how healthy I've been, my blood pressure, urine, baby's development and how active she is, have all been perfect. She even commented on how radiant my skin is. Plus I haven't got a single stretch mark! I don't know if this is SW related or not but having a diet rich in fish, meat, wholegrains, vegetables, good fats like extra virgin olive oil, fruits, calcium etc has certainly helped! SW is wonderful :D

I just hated the size I was ... and I was getting bigger so it was time to pull the reins in and ditch some of the weight .... I never had any weight related health problems, no problems walking etc but I wasnt happy with the way I looked .... We went to Florida a while ago and when I looked back at the photos, we are all very happy and having a brilliant time but I always have one of the children stood in front of me ... Im always in the background trying to look smaller?!?!? So when we go to Florida in August, I will be standing alongside my hubby and children ... looking fantastic!!!

Whatever your reasons for joining .... Good luck to u all xxxx

I have joined SW because I'm 21 and 18 stone, I can't walk for more than 5 minutes without getting out of breath. I HATE having to buy from plus size shops, I want to be able to buy pretty clothes in a normal women's shops and feel good shopping for them. I want to feel more confident and not to look in the mirror and see a fat woman I want to see a healthy young woman that looks good, I want to feel good about my weight and NOT want to burst into tears.

I decided to try Slimming World as I wanted to lose weight, mainly for health reasons (family history of type 2 diabetes) and to feel better about myself, I knew a few people who had good loses and managed to keep the weight off on this diet, so I decided to give it a go as I had the books at home (I joined a few weeks before the previous Christmas but ended up failing). Even though my weight has come off slowly, I've found this is the first diet I've tried which I've stuck to for more than 2 weeks.

My mum had done SW back in 2002 so have been aware of the principles for a long time, have used SW at home to shift a few unwanted lbs over the years ( have never been hugely over weight) but i put on 2 1/2 stone during a stessful 2009. The purchasing of a breadmaker didnt help! oops
so last xmas i looked at how much bigger i was and none of my clothes fitted, i'd had to get a dress in a 16 which for me was big. so Jan 2010 i decided to do something about it, hubby has needed to lose weight for a long time ( he'd got up to 25st, and he suddenly decided to also do something about his weight, for the first time he WANTED to)
so we started just at home with mums old books.
Hubbys mate then wanted to join club and dragged him along too, she then gave up but hubby does still go, he likes the shineys :)
I have lost 2 1/2st and hubby 6st now.

I am doing Slimming World because I am really, really fat and always have been. However, now I'm getting older it's affecting me a lot more aching knees, low confidence and trying to stay in the house as much as possible.

I have PCOS and want to have a baby so I need to lose the weight to give me the best chance of getting pregnant or be eligible for treatment if it comes to that.

I also want to look in the mirror and be happy with the way I look, wear fashionable clothes that fit well and look great.

SW really IS a way of life!!

I totally agree! Slimming World changes your whole perception to food for the better!

There's not hassle of 'counting calories' or buy expensive SW brand foods. It's real normal food. I love the freedom it has given me to try new recipes.

I would never eat courgettes, or stuffed peppers before. But slimming world recipes make me want to try new things, and when I know I can have a whole meal using only Free Foods it makes me feel so much better.

From Jan 2009 - Oct 2009 I lost about 2 stone on SW. But thinking back I was on and off it quite alot so how did i manage to lose the weight? Well I think once you've got a basic understanding of SW everything becomes subconcious. I would still have my healthy extras even when I wasn't ''on a diet'' because to me it felt right.

But now I am in it for the long haul. New recipes, an exercise regime and and weight target are whats pushing me to achieve the best!

Before I set myself dates. By Summer. By my birthday (which i achieved, off by about 5lb but noticeably thinner!) or a holiday... so once I reached that date I would stop whether i achieved my goal or not!! bad!! so this time I want to lose 18lb. I want to be able to be 10 stone (less would be nicer) because that would bring my BMI down to the 'healthy' range. I haven't been that for as long as I can remember!! Then if I feel like I should lose some more (half a stone more perhaps) I know I can!! No time limit, no rush. Slimming world really is a way of life, and I am enjoying every day of it :D

xxx

I do SW because I didn't want to be a fat 40 year old, I turned 40 last week and am a size 10 so that goal was achieved, on my journey though I realised that I am on SW simply because I enjoy the food, I know now that if I indulge & eat c**p I feel like c**p the next day.

I joined slimming world because one of my patients at work asked if I was pregnant, I told her I wasn't and she asked to see my belly for proof! I knew I was very overweight, but had kept telling myself it was baby weight, then when Charlie turned one I thought that probably wouldn't wash any more :) so have joined with my nanny, who has done every diet going and we are sticking to it! Have found that without really changing what I eat, just how I cook it1 I have lost 1 stone 3 1/2 pounds since November, and have so much more energy, love it!!!

I had been on SW a few years ago and did quite well on my own but like so many others lost interest for awhile. My motivation this time is really being a support for my daughter, as I have hoped she would lose weight for so long as she really needs a good confidence boost! And of course it won't hurt me either to lose the weight so a double bonus.

I put on weight while pregnant with my first child, I was too depressed afterwards and didn't tackle it when I should have. I then put on more weight with my second. I finally decided to tackle it and did Weight Watchers Points, I lost 4 stone, but messed it up and went back to old habits. I found it time consuming to weigh everything.

I know that a short term weightloss diet isn't the way forward for me, I need to change my way of eating for good. The lack of weighing and the principles of SW feel more like a healthy eating plan to me and less restrictive with less weighing out of everything (of course there is some weighing but nowhere near as much). I'm also happy that fruit is free, it encourages you to eat more. A friend has loaned me her food optimising book and eventually (finances allowing) I hope to join the website.

I am tired of being plus sized, I used to like buying clothes now I hate it. I'm frightened about how unhealthy this size is, I have two young children who need me. I'm also fed up of putting things off or being too embarrassed to see old friends becasue I've changed so much in appearance. I want to put it right and I want to keep it that way. That's why I'm doing Slimming World and so far I'm enjoying it too!

Simple, I was fat! I had been dieting on 1000 calories a day for 18 months had managed to lose 7 stone then the weight loss stopped. So I looked on the internet and slimming world seemed perfect...I am now almost half the person I used to be! :)

Back