Why do people quit SW?

I was on slimming world a couple of years ago but found doing red or green days quite restrictive, as I'm a meat and 2 veg kind of girl. Now I'm back on extra easy and loving it. With all the freedom it gives me, I really can't see why I would want to stop. I have to admit I do tend to have 1 day off a week though (usually weigh in day). Makes the whole thing much more manageable, although I'm sure it slows my weight loss down.

I have not posted on here for some time now,and not followed the SW plan religiously.
I lost the one stone which I wanted to within about 9 weeks last year.However I do follow the healthy eating plan I learnt and seem to maintain my weight. I just had two weeks holiday and gained 4lbs but lost it within a week of getting home. I feel I have gained a lot of useful info on this site and changed my eating habits a lot (eg I dont eat bread,butter or spread now)
I know I can resume the "diet" if I need to.
Thanks for all the useful tips.
Sue

I too feel like quitting sometimes. Like tomorrow I am at the excel babyshow all day and will have to eat whatever I am given. Sadly slimming world isn't really "normal food" all the time otherwise I would be eating more avocado pears, smoked mackerel and multi grain bread for my toast, olives without counting them as i add them to a recipe and count them back out as I serve up, not having to eat yogurts packed with chemicals because they are free, or other products with heaps of Aspartame or saccharin in them, or having to endlessly search for alternatives when making other healthy recipes. There are lots of Healthy foods that aren't included in the healthy extras but SW does include cereal bars which are comprised of 1/5th sugar and mug shots etc which are packed with salt MSG and sugar again. So no slimming world doesn't promote true healthy eating it just attempts to stop you over indulging. Whoooo am i going to be slayed down in flames by a dragon for saying this ??

^^ i totally agree, but they do promote cooking from healthy, normal foods. home cooking, not micro ready meals etc. the things that are high in salts and other crap etc tend to be quick snacky things...

as my OH says 'just because its suger free doesnt mean its good for you' as i poor myself another glass of pepsi max LOL

I too feel like quitting sometimes. Like tomorrow I am at the excel babyshow all day and will have to eat whatever I am given. Sadly slimming world isn't really "normal food" all the time otherwise I would be eating more avocado pears, smoked mackerel and multi grain bread for my toast, olives without counting them as i add them to a recipe and count them back out as I serve up, not having to eat yogurts packed with chemicals because they are free, or other products with heaps of Aspartame or saccharin in them, or having to endlessly search for alternatives when making other healthy recipes. There are lots of Healthy foods that aren't included in the healthy extras but SW does include cereal bars which are comprised of 1/5th sugar and mug shots etc which are packed with salt MSG and sugar again. So no slimming world doesn't promote true healthy eating it just attempts to stop you over indulging. Whoooo am i going to be slayed down in flames by a dragon for saying this ??

I totally get what you are saying here, I honestly totally do, just wanted to point out a couple of things (I hate that text has no emotion because I don't want this sound anything other than discussion moving - is that a phrase?! anyhoo... where was I? Oh yes...)

SW obviously has to cater to a wide range of people and lifestyles, so yes Mug Shot's, Cereal Bar's etc., may have their um... 'issues?' but SW aren't saying you must eat these, just they're avaliable within plan. SW are trying to get people to eat a healthy, balanced, fresh diet but realise people like convinence so include this too.

Like I've said many many many times before, whatever works for you that's fabulous!

Back to the original thread... I've quit a few times before but I now notice two main trends one being (which someone here on MiniMins pointed out to me) I was doing really well and I started to reward myself the only way I knew how - with food!

The other being I would be a bit naughty in the week and still lose so that would turn into a weekly thing, then more often and before I knew it I was right back where I started! Or I'd try and justify a bad day saying, well calorifically I'm sure I'm ok.

But I think I've got it sussed now thanks to all the fabulous people here!

Natt xxx

This is my 6th time with SW,
The first time I reached target and thought I could do it on my own and not bother going to class. Wrong.
Much the same as the other times. I also found red & green too restrictive and always slipped back. Now that they have EE, I really find it easy and have never felt restricted and feel as motivated as I was on day one!

In the past I've quit SW (and many other 'diets') because I expected far too much of myself and, when I didnt meet those expectations, my sense of failure grew and took over me. I demanded perfection of myself and, if I slipped by so much as 1 syn over my daily allowance, I thought I was useless, I'd failed and I may as well just keep on eating rubbish cos I wasnt worth making the effort for. Its taken me years to realise that I'm human and that I don't need to be perfect in order to succeed. Sometimes, I think we give ourselves a really hard time and if we saw someone we love doing it to themselves, we'd give them a big hug and tell them that they're so much more than their weight and to stop beating themselves up. Nowadays, I try to be my own best friend and give myself a bit of leeway when I cock up. It makes for a much more comfortable existence and a gives me a better chance of getting this old body of mine to target!!! xxx

In the past I've quit SW (and many other 'diets') because I expected far too much of myself and, when I didnt meet those expectations, my sense of failure grew and took over me. I demanded perfection of myself and, if I slipped by so much as 1 syn over my daily allowance, I thought I was useless, I'd failed and I may as well just keep on eating rubbish cos I wasnt worth making the effort for. Its taken me years to realise that I'm human and that I don't need to be perfect in order to succeed. Sometimes, I think we give ourselves a really hard time and if we saw someone we love doing it to themselves, we'd give them a big hug and tell them that they're so much more than their weight and to stop beating themselves up. Nowadays, I try to be my own best friend and give myself a bit of leeway when I cock up. It makes for a much more comfortable existence and a gives me a better chance of getting this old body of mine to target!!! xxx

With you on that one, Wannabeelovely. :) For me, when I'm in a rational state of mind, I know that SW is a fantastic diet plan. On my rational days, I can see exactly how it works and why it works and I really enjoy planning my menus for the day. On irrational days, I quite literally fight against the very idea of being on a diet. All I see is what I can't have, not what I can have, LOL.

All too often, I've jumped ship, from SW to WW, to Rosemary Conley to calorie counting to you name it :rolleyes: - always blaming whatever diet I was on at the time when the scales didn't move in the right direction, rather than my attitude to losing weight in general.

I forget all too easily how long it took me to put the weight on in the first place - years - and set myself up to fail, by aiming to lose it all in months. What's the rush, I ask myself in the rational moments? But then the irrational me pops in, berates myself for not losing a steady two pounds a week, and five weeks later (often less), I'm off whichever plan I'm on - and very quickly it seems, I end up back where I started.

I'm gonna do my damndest for that not to happen this time. Do away with my frankly unrealistic expectations and aim to lose a pound a week. And remind myself, when I stay the same (or :eek: gain a pound) that the scales often don't know when I've lost fat. Those scales measure all of me, water, fat, bone, muscle. They simply don't know when I've lost fat but gained water - so I can't assume to know either. If I've followed the plan, I'll have lost fat - it just may not show for another week or two.

Great idea for a thread. :) Definitely got me thinking...

a few reasons off the top of my head :

* i'm lazy - sometimes SW takes too much effort and i find myself slipping back to my old ways... which i hate, but they're easier.

* don't want to think - i find i have to think obsessively about food in order to achieve losses and i get peed off with it.

* lose my mojo - the buzz of losing weight starts to wear off, especially when i get used to the weight i'm at.

...but i know SW works, which is why i always come back!

This is the third time (i think) I have done SW and it will be the last one. As this time its working and even when i feel de motivated the most i have gained (not including when i went away with work) was half a pound which was off the following week. I now no longer have much pain from my crohns since doing it this time.

I worked out that i have basically been dieting since i was 10 which was 25 years ago so I now have to look on it as a way of life not dieting lol

wow what a thread!

well, I have dieted and quit, but this is my first sw diet, and I am hoping it will be for life as I love the extra easy plan so much (although I did have a red day last week as I forgot that I had toast for brekkie and needed the extra b choice! lol)

anyway, first time dieting - lost 2st, it took me a year, I was 2lbs away from target when I dumped my fiance, changed jobs, moved house, and moved in with someone 16 years older than me who loved the pub.... enter beer, exit size 10 jeans!

lots of on and offs with one thing or another and bouncing around a size 12-14 for a few years

no. 2 did sureslim diet for a couple of months, and lost about 16lbs, it worked well, but was so very restrictive - not even any milk in tea or coffee.

no.3 size 16, omg where did that ar*e come from, is that mine?!?!?!
must stop eating immediately! 14 weeks on total food replacement with lipotrim, lost 38lbs.

mainitaing lovely till I joined ww to lose another stone, and started gaining weight! grrr, then fell down the stairs and had major spinal surgery which put me in a wheelchair and back into size 16/18 rather than a 12!

time 4: (now out of wheelchair and back mobile) joined sw in november, and have lost 9.5lbs, the most weight I have lost since I was 27 (now almost 39) with a plan that includes normal amounts of food rather than shakes and near starvation! so happy i can lose weight on a diet that includes unlimited food!

actually, thats a bit of a brain f*ck, a diet where you can eat unlimited food?? have I died and gone to heaven?? ah no, if it included unlimited chocolate, then I WOULD have died and gone to heaven! lol

I quit WW twice...or 3 times I cant even remember! I quit once because the leader of my class was rubbish, and all the people in there didnt really seem to be trying, it just felt more like a social group for them! Instead of talking about the diet during sessions, we'd talk about all the things we couldnt have on the diet, and how many points they were worth! Plus I just couldnt deal with all the weighing and counting every single thing that went into my mouth!!

Then one of my friends suggested we should do WW or SW after xmas...and I thought well im definitely not doing WW again so lets try SW...and omg why didnt someone tell me about this sooner?!?! Maybe I wouldnt have been so keen on the Red and Green Days before but omg Extra Easy is amazing!! Its pure common sense really! I just had a conversation with someone at work actually...and EE is really just the way I should be eating. Healthy filling foods and a few treats here and there! Amazing!!

I think I need the support of the classes and definitely being weighed every week as well...but I dont see how I could possibly quit SW, its not annoying me in any way what so ever!! There are some things I wish were free or HE's (e.g wholemeal torilla wraps as a HEB...). But its not the end of the world and the plan clearly works and I'm enjoying the lifestyle to be honest, my body already feels better for it..and so does my wallet now im making my own lunch and not buying chocolate/crisps all the time!! xxx

Back