why is it not advised to weigh yourself daily?

Enchantedjen

Hi guys, just wondered if anyone could explain to me why its not a good idea to weigh yourself daily.
I must admit, i am a person who weighs myself everyday/ every couple of days, and the thought of going a week without weighing myself petrifies me!
Why do many people recommend only getting weighed at group?
Thanks in advance!

Because your weight fluctuates daily, even hourly, so hopping on and off scales everyday is not an accurate reading. That's why it's recommended you weigh once a week, on the same day and time if possible.

Enchantedjen said:
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone could explain to me why its not a good idea to weigh yourself daily.
I must admit, i am a person who weighs myself everyday/ every couple of days, and the thought of going a week without weighing myself petrifies me!
Why do many people recommend only getting weighed at group?
Thanks in advance!

Couple of reasons, your weight fluctuates throughout the week so can be up and down, if you only weigh once a week you can build up and average weightless over a couple of weeks.

I also personally think it makes people obsessive, you said the thought of not weighing petrifies you and that is not a good mindset to be in really. I know myself that I had to stop weighing in the week, I already have issues with food and image it would be unhealthy to pile on an obsession with weighing too, so now I weigh on a monday in class and no other time.

Just to add to what Stevie and Claire have said, it can also affect how you carry on for the rest of the week. If you weigh yourself and you've put on you could think 'I've been 100% and not lost, sod this I'm going to eat' or you could have had what looks like a really good loss and think 'I can slack off a bit now cause lost loads already'
As they have already said your weight can change hourly depending on how much you've eaten / drank / your hormones (such as at TOTM). Weighing at the same time every wk ensures a much better reflection of your weight loss / gains. Just try to forget about it. Stress can also affect your weigh losses so if your constantly weighing yourself and stressing over the number your not doing yourself any favours.

:sigh:It plays with your mind too much! If you have the result you want so be it, but if you sts or gain for no apparent reason you may well think well I have been good, and throw in the towel. Much better to just weigh once a week at group. But for a lot of people its hard I know. And yes it can get very obsessive

My consultant heavily promotes not weighing in the week, shes been there and done it and reminds us all that it can make those bad weeks so much worse. I dont have scales in the house, after years of an ED they were part of it and i refuse to ever own a set of scales again (aside from my trusty kitchen scales of course :)) weigh in at group and stick to what they say :)

i find it can be quite depressing to weigh in too often. As other posters have said the weight fluctuates and it can be quite disheartening, especially if you've been good and your home scales say you've put n weight. Has made me give up on other diets before now. I did it last week and it said i had put on 2lbs when i got home from work but after sleeping all day (shift -worker) weighed myself again and i had lost 5 lbs in about 8 hours. Totally bizarre, plus my scales are about 2 lbs different from those at group.

Back