Why? Why? Why

kingleds

Gold Member
Why do people feel the need to havw conversations on their phones at the top of their voice on a train???Have earphones in listening to a podcast and can still hear the vapid conversation going on next to me! Grrr.

If someone is sitting near you speaking loudly on the phone, get out a pad and pencil and very ostentatiously make notes.

It makes them shut up very quickly!

I don't understand why people think that calls they make in a public place are not overheard by other people.

I once sat on a train listening to a call where the guy was discussing a rival organisation to the one I was then working for - I got loads of useful information! And I have heard of people getting enough information out of a careless phone call to do a bit of "insider dealing" and make a profit on some shares.

My cousin sat on a journey from Reading to Paddington one day, and the woman opposite her made lots of calls, paying bills, ordering stuff, and generally sorting out her life. When she had finished, my cousin passed her a piece of paper and said "here's what I know about you". Name, address, telephone number, mobile number, credit card number (including the security number on the back) - in one or other of her calls this stupid woman had given out all this information for everyone to hear!

If someone is sitting near you speaking loudly on the phone, get out a pad and pencil and very ostentatiously make notes.

It makes them shut up very quickly!

Love this!!

I've been getting peeved lately with people compleely ignoring signs that clealy say you should not use mobile telephones. Eg Doctors surgery (woman loudly talking about daughters birthday party - I think that could have waited!!) and in the gym changing rooms (presumably because most phones are also camaras) where it happens every time I go in there (daily). The signs couldn't BE any clearer. Selfish, rude, ignorant people!!:mad:

RegField said:
My cousin sat on a journey from Reading to Paddington one day, and the woman opposite her made lots of calls, paying bills, ordering stuff, and generally sorting out her life. When she had finished, my cousin passed her a piece of paper and said "here's what I know about you". Name, address, telephone number, mobile number, credit card number (including the security number on the back) - in one or other of her calls this stupid woman had given out all this information for everyone to hear!

That's genius...but terrifying at the same time. This is why I never make this sort of call on public transport!

I'm beginning to regret my decision to move over to public transport completely now. Loud, rude people are now just another part of my day. I do have loads of fun though when people push past me, or don't say thank you when you hold doors open etc by shouting very loudly 'you're welcome!' always makes them look a little sheepish. Did lose it the other day with a bloke at waterloo who was meandering in a zig zag across the platform - was like everytime i tried to get past him he was deliberatly getting in my way! Ended up tapping him on the shoulder and asking if there was any danger of him walking in a straight line! Then realised i wad being a headcase. So embarrased with myself.

I'm beginning to regret my decision to move over to public transport completely now. Loud, rude people are now just another part of my day. I do have loads of fun though when people push past me, or don't say thank you when you hold doors open etc by shouting very loudly 'you're welcome!' always makes them look a little sheepish. Did lose it the other day with a bloke at waterloo who was meandering in a zig zag across the platform - was like everytime i tried to get past him he was deliberatly getting in my way! Ended up tapping him on the shoulder and asking if there was any danger of him walking in a straight line! Then realised i wad being a headcase. So embarrased with myself.

I think you might be my commuter twin - I turn into an evil version of myself as soon as I step onto any form of public transport!

To be honest my pet peeve is the music players. I don't want to hear the rubbish music coming from your phone with its tinny sounding speakers. Get earphones like everyone else. :mad:

Yes sharing is a wonderful thing and all that but please...

I really hope you all have wonderful jobs to put up with the tube ,bus,train and the ignorant people who travel on them with you. Im afraid I couldnt do it it make my blood boil just reading about your journeys.:D

Have a good day!!!!

kirstabubble said:
I think you might be my commuter twin - I turn into an evil version of myself as soon as I step onto any form of public transport!

Lol! I have noticed that the moment people put their tickets through at the station their whole demeanor changes! Its like they view getting to work as going into battle or sonething!! I am desperately trying not to be one of them - but sometimes i completly fail

I sat next to a rather scruffy young man on the train the other day, on the way to Oxford. Out came the Ipod and the earpieces and I thought - oh no, it's going to be boom, scratch, boom, all the way there.

Just as I realised that I couldn't actually hear anything, and was thinking that they must be very good quality earpieces, I looked at the book in front of him and saw that it was a score for a Handel oratorio! And he was following the score and very unobtrusively conducting to the music.

Which just goes to show you can't judge by appearances!!

I don't have to make a journey to work on public transport but can totally empathise with you all.................... my pet hate is mobile phone users in restaurants. I am not interested in the private lives of my fellow diners. Why do they always have to speak so loudly, do they really think anyone around them is fascinated by them.

I once sat on a train listening to a call where the guy was discussing a rival organisation to the one I was then working for - I got loads of useful information! And I have heard of people getting enough information out of a careless phone call to do a bit of "insider dealing" and make a profit on some shares.

I know of a case where this happened also - only.. the woman who was earwigging and told her partner the information got convicted!

kingleds said:

London is horrible.

Im originally from the north of england when i moved to london 2 years ago i couldnt understand the psyche of the london commuter. So rude, brash, impatient, aggressive. Every one is just horrible.

2 years on and i feel the same. In fact i hate it more.

Aww, Roziee, not everyone in London is horrible! I, for example, am delightful :D

I know what you mean about commuting though - it does bring out the worst in everyone. I now get the train to work rather than the tube, heading out of London rather than in, and it makes SUCH a difference - people lose all their manners when they get on a crowded tube train, it really is horrible.

Back