Window Boxes now planted - pics here now

big bear

A bear on a mission!
We didn't have enough compost will have to get more tomorrow. Do you think that they are too low down in the boxes?

I'm not very 'green fingered' so would love your help.

I've got 3 window boxes (well on the balcony) & I want to plant some nice plants/flowers.

I need something that I can just plant once & don't have to keep changing. I don't want something that'll grow really tall either. Can anyone help with a nice plant/flower that is easy to look after which can be planted now?

Also is there something I can put on it to stop the cats from digging out the soil, that isn't going to harm them or my 2 wee ones?

Attachments

• Flowers 001.jpg
    Flowers 001.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Flowers 008.jpg
    Flowers 008.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Flowers 007.jpg
    Flowers 007.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Flowers 012.jpg
    Flowers 012.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Flowers 003.jpg
    Flowers 003.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I always find geraniums seem to do very well and bloom well through the year, and the only maintenance is whipping off the dead flowers.

I'm not the best at keeping stuff alive in the garden, but my geraniums always seem to do ok!

I'm with Jennyonaplate, Geraniums are fab, about the easiest thing to grow!
Last year we did window box lettuces, tomatos (although these did grom tall) and chillis - the chillis and toms had flowers and the lollo rosso lettuce was v pretty - and all had the added bonus of being edible!

I think there are some varieties of trailing cherry toms, which would look pretty and colourful from a window box too if you fancied going down the veg route - but not sure how much attention they'd need.

I think there are some varieties of trailing cherry toms, which would look pretty and colourful from a window box too if you fancied going down the veg route - but not sure how much attention they'd need.

Feeding with tomato fertilizer once a week, but kept evenly moist.

If you really want something that sits there all the time, variegated ivy, white heather interspersed with pansies is nice. I would google window box planting or the bbc OR on google images to get some ideas.

Thanks my lovelies, I'm liking the ivy idea with some pansies...I'm going to take a trip to the Garden Centre tomorrow to see what ideas they can give me XXX

I got my plants, some ivy, heather that's for winter/spring & summer/autumn so it'll be ok all year round & some different coloured pansies

I'm going to plant them later with my 2 year old son...should be fun lol X

Have fun & take pics of the finished job!

I used to love gardening with my mum when i was tiny - your son's going to love it!!

Have fun & take pics of the finished job!

I used to love gardening with my mum when i was tiny - your son's going to love it!!

I'll take some pics & post later...I don't know if we'll have enough compost as had to carry it back on the pushchair lol so I only got 20L, I think it should do 2 of the boxes anyhow x

How beautiful! x

They look lovely, makes you feel all spring like! Once they take root and start to grow up and out they'll soon fill the space above and around them. All we need now is some sun so you can sit on the balcony with an early morning cuppa and enjoy them!

Back