Winkles!- Love or Hate?

Maximus

Gold Member
I've found them to be the "Marmite of all seafoods".

Some people adore them, more people seem t hate them - even seafood lovers!

I know one person who "de-shells" them and has them in a sandwich! - even I couldn't do that. My main qualm about them is the amount of salt required to make them tasty;)

Which camp are you in?

Oops - read that as wrinkles, thought you'd lost it for a min Steve!

I shouldn't say I don't like them because I don't recall ever trying them - and never will.

Donkeys ago, I remember watching someone ferreting about with a pin and it conjured up mental images of someone picking their nose & eating it. :bolt::yuk:

Oops - read that as wrinkles, thought you'd lost it for a min Steve!

At my age you take what you can:p
I shouldn't say I don't like them because I don't recall ever trying them - and never will.

Donkeys ago, I remember watching someone ferreting about with a pin and it conjured up mental images of someone picking their nose & eating it. :bolt::yuk:

Yep, snots with crash helmets as they're known in the northeast (and presumably elsewhere).

Not having tried them doesn't count you wuss!;)

:9529: revolting !!!

I thought it said wrinkles as well! Really though I've never tried them, they look revolting!

I read it as winkles but misinterpreted the definition ;)
Love any kind of shell fish, cockles, mussels etc. although I don't eat much actual fish, winkles I can manage just about but I'll never, ever eat a whelk EVER again. Fishy salt flavoured elastic bands. Meh.

HelsAngel said:
I read it as winkles but misinterpreted the definition ;)
Love any kind of shell fish, cockles, mussels etc. although I don't eat much actual fish, winkles I can manage just about but I'll never, ever eat a whelk EVER again. Fishy salt flavoured elastic bands. Meh.

The small, young whelks are lovely, and only need a 'normal' chew

URGH!! Can`t think of anything more revolting!! That goes for most raw shell fish.

The same goes for marmite and rice pudding. In fact ALL milk puddings!!
The smell makes feel rather queasy!!

GrannieAnnie said:
URGH!! Can`t think of anything more revolting!! That goes for most raw shell fish.

The same goes for marmite and rice pudding. In fact ALL milk puddings!!
The smell makes feel rather queasy!!

Yeah, marmite and pudding doesn't really work! ;)

Another use of the :9529:

Can't stand shellfish expect prawns, crab, lobster - they seem to be in a different league to cockles, mussels, winkles, whelks, oysters (snot) etc etc

I also read it as wrinkles and I hate those too :sigh: I have waaaay too many.

Who mentioned raw shellfish by the way?

Winkles, prawns, shrimps, crab, lobster, langoustines,scallops,cockles,mussels etc. are all cooked.

Oysters on the other hand have great powers if eaten raw......

The power to barf 20 yards!

I love all things fishy/seafoody, but I'm not that struck by oysters, though I had some lovely cooked ones when I was in S.Carolina earlier in the year (shouldn't mention them on here as they were crumbed & deep fried - tut, tut) part of my shrimp & grits

Steve, thanks for reminding me that I haven't had much seafood recently (except prawns) so, today after a few hours out on the bike(engined) we popped to the seafood stall, Just had a selection of seafood - cockles, brown shrimps, jellied eels and a few winkles - Yummy

Attachments

• image-3498159539.jpg
    image-3498159539.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 49
Back