Work Christmas Meal - eek!

VeggieBev

Silver Member
I am having a Christmas meal with work colleagues tomorrow night and I'm not sure how to count the syns - please help!

It's a set menu and I am veggie so there really is only one option for me for each course:

Starter: Sundried tomato and basil tartlet with red chard
Main: Wild mushroom risotto
Dessert: Cheese selection

Any suggestions on how to calculate the syns? I love cheese but I'll try to go easy on it and I'm thinking I have some of it as my HexA?

Last edited:
I wouldnt know the syns but a mushroom risotto will often have parmesan in which is what will make the syns high, or you could count some of that as your HEX A but still syn the rest. As for cheese board a HEX A portion of cheddar is about the size of a matchbox, so a bit depressing when faced with a whole board!
I'd try and flexi syn it, It'll be hard without knowing the pastry on the tart but remember on oil alone thats around 5 syns :) x

I am having a Christmas meal with work colleagues tomorrow night and I'm not sure how to count the syns - please help!

It's a set menu and I am veggie so there really is only one option for me for each course:

Starter: Sundried tomato and basil tartlet with red chard
Main: Wild mushroom risotto
Dessert: Cheese selection

Any suggestions on how to calculate the syns? I love cheese but I'll try to go easy on it and I'm thinking I have some of it as my HexA?

Just a quick observation if you are Quite a strict veggie most hard cheeses are made using animal rennet which would make them not suitable for a veggie diet xxx

Just a quick observation if you are Quite a strict veggie most hard cheeses are made using animal rennet which would make them not suitable for a veggie diet xxx

Not so much these days - most of the deli counter cheeses in Sainsburys for example are veggie now and made using non-animal rennet. The only problem cheese (so to speak!) is Parmesan - it's so hard to get veggie Parmesan! The only one I have ever found is the Sainsburys basics hard Italian cheese (fakey Parmesan haha!).

I had risotto on both of my work nights out as it was the only veggie choice but I'm fairly sure that the cheese would not have been vegetarian. :/ It's such a pain when you only have one menu choice, I kinda had to accept that I was being a bad vegetarian for one night only :(

Hi Catherine

Thanks for the observation but I am actually an ovo-lacto vegetarian so I happily eat eggs, cheese and other dairy products.

x

Last edited:
Hi Catherine

Thanks for the observation but I am actually an ovo-lacto vegetarian so I happily eat eggs, cheese and other dairy products.

x

Same as me - I am considering veganism but for now I'm happy being a strict veggie. :D It's still worth keeping an eye on the cheeses though as you do get the odd one which is not veggie suitable. :(

Same as me - I am considering veganism but for now I'm happy being a strict veggie. :D It's still worth keeping an eye on the cheeses though as you do get the odd one which is not veggie suitable. :(

Hi, thanks for the tip but I am perfectly happy eating cheese which is not veggie friendly. While I understand that this would be an issue for some/most vegetarians, it is not for me. People seem to have jumped to the conclusion that I don't eat meat for ethical reasons which is actually not the case.

xx

Hi, thanks for the tip but I am perfectly happy eating cheese which is not veggie friendly. While I understand that this would be an issue for some/most vegetarians, it is not for me. People seem to have jumped to the conclusion that I don't eat meat for ethical reasons which is actually not the case.

xx

Not jumping to any conclusions at all, just trying to help.

I must admit I didn't used to worry about cheese when I was a veggie, even if it has got bits of a cow's stomach in it, lol. Nowadays I steer clear of it because of the calories! :) xx

Back