Worried about starting more exercise - do I need to eat more?

clouddog

Is 1000 kcal in a day enough to get me through an hour walk (or maybe 2) and 60 min hot yoga class?
havent done any serious yoga for a long time want to go twice a week
I am hopeless at losing weight when I exercise more
help!!

Last edited:
1200 kcal is the lowest amount that your body needs to work properly.
You had a great loss, but try not to starve yourself, mainly if you intend to have a healthy life and do some exercise.
Perhaps you can add some fruits and veggies to your diet, they will increase the calorie counting and bring lots of benefits :)

Thanks for your reply

Of course i have not been able to maintain 1000, more like 1600 - 1700. I have such great aims but it rarely works for more than a day, this is like the binge starve binge cycle, while losing weight pretty consistently :)

I eat as little as i possibly can hence the aims to occasionally get into ketosis or attempt to stay under 1200, perhaps i could have more stability with a minimum and maximum which are not as extreme as 800 - 2200 kcal a day. but manage a 1200 - 2000 maybe one day, but that is a dream really...

I just bought about 5 kg of finely milled porridge oats like an idiot on line and will be needing to eat that with sultanas and goji berries all year.

as long as I can't stand it on it's own there will be a bit of dried fruit every day which wasn't the intention at first.... i have given up all refined sugars, honey, syrup, molasses, agave nectar is even off the menu but have had the occasional attack of 'lesser refined sugar produce' seeking behaviour, like half a pack of sugar free biscuits.

let me know what you struggle with, maybe we can swap notes, you have a very healthy long term weight loss going on there yourself!

I'd like to increase my caloric intake, but I'm always managing something around the 1200 and afraid of going over :/
I think up to 1500 would be nice, but now that my organism is set at 1200, I might gain some weight before adapting and I'm not sure if I want to see it happening.
I go to the gym at least 5 times per week, in fact, there are some weeks in which I go every single day, and I do around 30 minutes of weight lifting and 1 hour of cardio.

Sometimes I struggle with my cravings or social occasions. I'm not fat because of my bad metabolic rate, I'm fat because I love food (and never did exercises before) and I still love it! So, there are days in which I just want to sit with a pack of ice cream and pizza. During these days I question myself if it's really worth dieting.

Ah, I've recently bought a pack of PhD Diet Whey and found it awesome in all aspects, if you are thinking about exercising more, perhaps you can give it a try. I blend the Chocolate Orange flavour with almond milk and it is almost like a dessert, super tasty. I'm even a bit addicted to it. I'm going to try more flavours as soon as I can!

Anyway, you might look great! Your initial weight is my aim weight hahaha. I've been a morbid obese since I can remember, so being chubby makes me happy! I'm all about the love your body philosophy, but I must admit that is much easier to love my body being chubby than being morbid obese.

It's inspiring to see you so close to goal.

I'm replacing meals quite regularly, but not keeping my overall kcal down all the time - had 1650 or about that today... and not much of a burn...
Exercise is amazing if you find something you enjoy. I think if i hadn't had the experience meeting a guy age 18 who taught me to ski i would have signed off exercise for life after school instead of going for pretty sporty men most of the time.

I use green powder as well to keep my veg up because i don't eat spinach every day :)

Hoping to lose about a third of my body weight as well in total,

Advice to you ? start to focus on maintaining.

Any thing you can do to keep your weight down and not have ANY more rapid weight loss would be beneficial... program in that it is for life now and strictly count 1350 or 1400

if you go over sometimes you can still cope with that, because it is still a deficit... especially with your time at the gym.

Rebound is something to be really terrified of, believe me it has happened to me about 8 times that I've put the 28 - 42 lbs i've lost back on and added more on top.

I'm terrified actually myself

There was NO control, no stop button, no NO left in me - anywhere at all when it came to food, gained about 18 lbs in 6 weeks

so super scary

Back