Would this upset you as a parent?

Teacher91

I am a primary school teacher (year 5). I don't let children go to the toilet during lesson time. Would you have a problem with the rule if it was your child?

Year 5, that's about 10 years old?
I think for me, it depends on how long the lesson is. If it's a short lesson, 40 mins an hour and straight after a break, then I'd be reluctant to let a child leave the class for the toilet, unless they had a medical reason. But I know that some lessons can be as long as two hours long, so I'd be annoyed if a teacher made my child hold on that long.

I don't think it should be a rule set in stone. I'm sure, as a teacher, you can tell when a child is genuinely desperate to go, or just yanking your chain, so to speak. At a risk of getting accused of " that's not fair , you let bob go" Maybe best to use individual case discretion.

I think for me, it depends on how long the lesson is. If it's a short lesson, 40 mins an hour and straight after a break, then I'd be reluctant to let a child leave the class for the toilet, unless they had a medical reason. But I know that some lessons can be as long as two hours long, so I'd be annoyed if a teacher made my child hold on that long.

I don't think it should be a rule set in stone. I'm sure, as a teacher, you can tell when a child is genuinely desperate to go, or just yanking your chain, so to speak. At a risk of getting accused of " that's not fair , you let bob go" Maybe best to use individual case discretion.
The timings are as follows

9:00 -10:15 (lesson time)
10:15-10:30 (break time)
10:30-12:00 (lesson time)
12:00-1:00 (lunchtime)
1:00-3:15 (lesson time)

If they have a medical problem then of course they are allowed to go.

They are 9 and 10.

One of the mums were unhappy because I made her daughter wait until home time last week.

One of the mums were unhappy because I made her daughter wait until home time last week.

I can see why. Between lunch and home time is over two hours.
That's a long time for anyone to hold it in, let alone a 9/10 year old. Have you ever tried to concentrate on anything when you desperately need a wee?
It's impossible.
Yes, she should have gone at lunchtime, but she's a kid, and kids have much more important things to at lunch than pee. πŸ™‚

I can see why. Between lunch and home time is over two hours.
That's a long time for anyone to hold it in, let alone a 9/10 year old. Have you ever tried to concentrate on anything when you desperately need a wee?
It's impossible.
Yes, she should have gone at lunchtime, but she's a kid, and kids have much more important things to at lunch than pee. πŸ™‚
As a teacher I have to wait. If they go at break and lunch they should be able to last a couple of hours. The girl held on.

As a teacher I have to wait. If they go at break and lunch they should be able to last a couple of hours. The girl held on.

Fair enough
You asked my opinion, I gave it.
Ultimately, it's your classroom, your rules. But do be prepared for parents to get the lug if one of their little darlings pees themselves. πŸ˜‰

Like I said, your classroom, your rules.
Personally, I don't believe in making kids hold anything in, it doesn't do them any favours, and concentration levels do drop when they need to go.
Where's the harm in letting them pop along to the loo and straight back? I don't think there's any harm in it.

Like I said, your classroom, your rules.
Personally, I don't believe in making kids hold anything in, it doesn't do them any favours, and concentration levels do drop when they need to go.
Where's the harm in letting them pop along to the loo and straight back? I don't think there's any harm in it.

If one wants to go they all do. Plenty of breaks provided to go to the loo

You seem pretty solid on your stance,

Best of luck with it πŸ‘πŸ™‚

It's actually dangerous for a child to hold on and yes they can wee themselves like any adult can if desperate to go but can't get there quick enough.

I would just keep an eye on how many times they go.If it's the same ones that keep wanting to go why not when they enter the classroom ask them if they have been so as not need to go during lesson.

Yes, it does, my sons school is like that.

Some children don't feel the need like other children and it can just spring up on them.

It's not healthy and I am sure there is a better way of keeping track of the kids without denying their right of using the toilet.

Yes, it does, my sons school is like that.

Some children don't feel the need like other children and it can just spring up on them.

It's not healthy and I am sure there is a better way of keeping track of the kids without denying their right of using the toilet.

Most schools do, you can't have 30 kids nipping for a wee when they like.

No disrespect , but this is predominately a weight loss forum, so if you want a debate on children's toilet habits id suggest trying Mumsnet.

πŸ˜‚

I would have a problem with it. It will discourage them from hydrating themselves if they are not allowed to go and as others have said how can they concentrate on lessons when they are busy concentrating on holding on?

My niece is nearly 9 and has health issues meaning that she should be encouraged to go before she needs to. It's all very well saying the rule doesn't apply to anyone with health needs but then that's just singling her out as being different.

When I was at school we just put up our hand and asked to go. Don't see the issue with that. If it's causing disruption to lessons with everyone going, why not have a 5 minute comfort break halfway through any lessons longer than an hour to enable anyone who wants to go. That's pretty much what happens in adult training sessions and long meetings.

Back