Writing an article

junemag

My consultant has asked me if I would do an article for the local paper. Has anyone else done one? What should I expect? My hubby thinks that I should get something for it as it's free advertisement for the consultant!! I personally think that's typical man's reaction!!! But I don't want to miss out and feel a bit uncomfortable asking my consultant.

I've never been in the situation, but if it was me I would ask your consultant what the purpose of the article is and what the agreement with the paper is. You could ask for a free week or something? In my experience ask jokingly, wait for the reaction and then respond!

My sister was a consultant for a while and she had to write an editorial for the paper to advertise the class do my guess is it is to get new members in. Definately think she should offer you at least a free week. But what a great complement she is obviously very proud of you x

I would ask for a week free as well!

What for? if you are pleased with what she has helped you achieve why would you want anything else for it.

Testimonials are great for any business (from slimming world consultants to blue chips) if people read your story and find it inspirational then it might help them make the decision to join.

If you are happy to share your story then do it, to ask for a "fiver" for doing it is a bit cheeky...imho

I can see both sides of this, my consultant has been brilliant and I hav lost 5st 2lbs since the end of oct'11. I have also brought a lot of new members to her as they have seen the huge change in me. It's not so much that I want to get paid for doing it or anything, just maybe a little token of gratitude I suppose would be nice! I think I'm going to do it regardless, now what do I write........

I can see both sides of this, my consultant has been brilliant and I hav lost 5st 2lbs since the end of oct'11. I have also brought a lot of new members to her as they have seen the huge change in me. It's not so much that I want to get paid for doing it or anything, just maybe a little token of gratitude I suppose would be nice! I think I'm going to do it regardless, now what do I write........

GET SOMETHING OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D -rant over-

I'd be careful here as if you tell your story you are effectively handing that story to slimming world and the paper and they can reproduce without your permission including photos. This goes on a lot as most local papers are now part of Northcliff media group who own the copyright on any article/ quote etc if you do not enter explicit contracts with them and will use as thy wish, and the same applies to slimming world.

If it just a comment about your consultant make it explicitly about that only, and say it can only be used for this.

When you hand anything over attach in writing a statement saying that the receipient have no rights to edit or reproduce elsewhere without your explicit written consent and any payments due being paid to you not slimming world.

Back