ww or sw?

I need help Im torn between which one to do pro's and con's plz

I havent tried WW in a long time so i am not sure how the new point system works, but i love slimming world alot better i find it easier, but thats because i love to eat LOADS xD and on slimming world there is free food that you can it loads of every day and it is alot less measuring and counting. but thats just my opinion both of the work for differnt people :)

I havent tried WW in a long time so i am not sure how the new point system works, but i love slimming world alot better i find it easier, but thats because i love to eat LOADS xD and on slimming world there is free food that you can it loads of every day and it is alot less measuring and counting. but thats just my opinion both of the work for differnt people :)

But how does eating loads actually still enable you to loose weight, do ppl actually put on at all?

I'm on day 3 of Ww the propoints is all new to me.

I always lost on sw but my losses were slow and I got a bit bored with the food.

I also missed certain foods - cereal and different bread. I can rat anything on Ww and have got weekly points to spend on food I like. I found sw good - but for me to restrictive.

I started a thread just like yours last week and I've got to say, the majority of people voted in favour of Ww.

All you can do is try it.

Thanks all
I think Im gonna start pp tomorrow and see how I go, Ive lost 4 stone on cambridge and I keep dilly dallying back and forth. I really want a life now and to loose weight slowly as Im kinda happy where I am for now so off shopping I go tomorrow I guess any tips for me will be greatly appreciated
Thanks Nic x

Hi :) Well done on losing 4 stone, that's amazing! This is my third week on pp. One thing that I have learned to do over the last few weeks is plan your meals in advance, if its the night before or in the morning, or a week in advance you need to plan it out to make sure you dont graze through your points all day and have nothing left come diner time and have to eat into your weekly points. Having said that if you budget correctly and eat lots of fruit and 0 point veg, you shouldn't have a problem and should be able to have a few treats too.
So if you're going food shopping tomorrow what I've been doing is going on to the tesco online store and on there they have the nutritional values of pretty much anything you want to buy and then put it into a pp calculator from there you should be all set.

Let us know how you're getting on! :)

Slimming world

pros
*lots of free food - including some of the plainer mullerlights, and low fat super noodle

*healthy

*good for someone who likes to make meals from scratch

*very rarely do you feel hungry

*3 different plans; which you can interchange on a daily basis. One is limited on bread (but you get meat and certain carbs), one is veggie, and one is similar to atkins

*internet service for sw is a lot better than ww

cons

*restrictive - a great majority of food is "synned" and you get very few syns.

*1/3 superfree - you have to have 1/3 of your plate superfree in every meal (fruit/veg)

*takeouts are pretty much off the menu as they cost a lot of syns

*Pretty much every solid meal will need at least a couple of syns (in my experience)

*you only get a limited amount of bread/cereal

*bad habits still being maintained (still eating a lot of food, big appetite)

*expensive

*if you go to a meeting they are insaaaaaaaaaanely long, and they read out every single loss or gain.

Weightwatchers

pros

*Can eat what you want as long as its inside your points, don't feel tied to "free food" If you have special dietary needs its ideal

*more freedom than sw - you can go out for a sandwich in a cafe or whatever. Estimation is a lot easier in ww.

*meetings tend to be shorter and only rewarded for silver 7s. Tends to be more discreet and peoples losses/gains not announced

*weightwatchers teaches portion control (imo critical to sucessful weightloss and maintenance!!)

*you can have ready meals on ww, whereas its pretty impossible to have them on sw

cons

*have to measure everything

*can be hungry if day is not planned properly

*can encourage people to starve all day for a big takeout in the evening

*have to be very careful for mistakes in esource (the internet service)

*obscure alcohol can be hard to point.

Slimming world

pros
*lots of free food - including some of the plainer mullerlights, and low fat super noodle

*healthy

*good for someone who likes to make meals from scratch

*very rarely do you feel hungry

*3 different plans; which you can interchange on a daily basis. One is limited on bread (but you get meat and certain carbs), one is veggie, and one is similar to atkins

*internet service for sw is a lot better than ww

cons

*restrictive - a great majority of food is "synned" and you get very few syns.

*1/3 superfree - you have to have 1/3 of your plate superfree in every meal (fruit/veg)

*takeouts are pretty much off the menu as they cost a lot of syns

*Pretty much every solid meal will need at least a couple of syns (in my experience)

*you only get a limited amount of bread/cereal

*bad habits still being maintained (still eating a lot of food, big appetite)

*expensive

*if you go to a meeting they are insaaaaaaaaaanely long, and they read out every single loss or gain.

Weightwatchers

pros

*Can eat what you want as long as its inside your points, don't feel tied to "free food" If you have special dietary needs its ideal

*more freedom than sw - you can go out for a sandwich in a cafe or whatever. Estimation is a lot easier in ww.

*meetings tend to be shorter and only rewarded for silver 7s. Tends to be more discreet and peoples losses/gains not announced

*weightwatchers teaches portion control (imo critical to sucessful weightloss and maintenance!!)

*you can have ready meals on ww, whereas its pretty impossible to have them on sw

cons

*have to measure everything

*can be hungry if day is not planned properly

*can encourage people to starve all day for a big takeout in the evening

*have to be very careful for mistakes in esource (the internet service)

*obscure alcohol can be hard to point.

wow hannata, what a fantastic reminder why i switched to pp :)

Thanks. Tried to be as impartial as possible.. ^_^

I am a weightwatcher, but I do see that there are positives to sw too!

Oh and another, free membership criteria

SW you can set your own weight target.

ww you have to be between bmi of 20-25.

Im not sure which is the pro and con. Sometimes it can be difficult to maintain a low BMI for some people, but then I think others may just set a higher weight to be lazy, or for free membership.

Just throwing the info out there to help people decide! x

Thanks all for your replies I havnt started yet :sigh:

Just done food shopping and going to a class tonight :D!
I dont eat a very varied diet thats my problem, only after coming off cambridge and not eating for over 3 mths did I realise I actually like salad and yogurts:eek:
still I have a long way to go tho prob mainly be having weetabix yogurt and fruit for brekkie a chicken salad with some fruit and god knows what for dinner as I only really eat chicken... any tips on ready made stuff from iceland etc with be very greatfully accepted
Thanks all your so helpfull and friendly:D:D:D:D

Hannata you're a total star for writing all that out.

I totally agree about WW being better for teaching portion control. I believe it's such an essential aspect of maintaining a healthy lifestyle too. :)

Hello all! I'm a SWorlder myself & wondered about a couple of the things mentioned above in the pros/cons. Not about WW which i haven't tried myself so would not feel qualufied to comment on, but about SW if that's okay?

There are plenty of meals you can cook which have no syns at all - in fact pretty much every meal i cook is syn free - so was wondering where that particular con came from?

Also - i find portion control is actually really easy on SW if you stick to the 1/3rd superfree rule - i accept a fair few people struggle with that bit but thats not the plans fault! The problem comes when people think free means unlimited - it doesn't! It means eat as much as you need to feel full then stop! So in fact, its teaching you to listen to your body (if you do it right :))

I agree you do have to cook alot yourself from scratch, and eating out can be a pain. But I've not found its expensive compared to my food bill pre SW though & as i enjoy cooking & didn't eat ready meals before SW its not an issue for me.

Anyway, you can loose alot of weight on SW, not be hungry, and teach yourself healthy eating habits, if you follow it right. I'm sure the same can be said for WW - its just a case of which one fits your lifestyle better i guess.

after trying both sw and ww i find that it really is all about personal eating preferences. I liked slimming world for all the lovely dinners you could make which were all syn free and some beautiful deserts as well, on the con side though i really, really missed bread... I find that with ww i can have my slice of toast in the morning and a sandwich in the evening, count it into my points and still be able to save 49 for the weekend. I found on sw that i struggled with losing as when i ate a biscuit/bar or a bag of crisps i seemed to be using up syns that i otherwise could have used for a treat at w'end.

There are plenty of meals you can cook which have no syns at all - in fact pretty much every meal i cook is syn free - so was wondering where that particular con came from?

personal opinion. Unless one likes very basic food, most things had at least a couple of syns (gravy in your dinner, mayo or butter in sandwiches, etc)

Also - i find portion control is actually really easy on SW if you stick to the 1/3rd superfree rule - i accept a fair few people struggle with that bit but thats not the plans fault! The problem comes when people think free means unlimited - it doesn't! It means eat as much as you need to feel full then stop! So in fact, its teaching you to listen to your body (if you do it right :))

Exactly, you have to teach yourself portion control, and far too many people are not able to do that.

The fact is its not strict enough for some people. I wrote the list with as many people in mind, so not all of the points will be valid for EVERYONE, i just wrote it so that people could identify with things that were the most important to them, just like I wrote free food in the positive, I wrote lack of portion control in the negative

I agree you do have to cook alot yourself from scratch, and eating out can be a pain. But I've not found its expensive compared to my food bill pre SW though & as i enjoy cooking & didn't eat ready meals before SW its not an issue for me.

well this one was just my personal experience, i was eating a lot more on sw than i would ever on ww, so my bill was a lot more. Again might not apply to everyone but I explained that above

Anyway, you can loose alot of weight on SW, not be hungry, and teach yourself healthy eating habits, if you follow it right. I'm sure the same can be said for WW - its just a case of which one fits your lifestyle better i guess.

Yeah I agree, I actually do think sw is a good plan.. I did give it plenty of pros too.

well this one was just my personal experience, i was eating a lot more on sw than i would ever on ww, so my bill was a lot more. Again might not apply to everyone but I explained that above

I AGREE WITH ABOVE, MY GROCERY BILL WAS HUGE WHEN DOING SLIMMING WORLD..LOADS OF INGREDIENTS NEEDED....

Really wasn't trying to get into an argument, just wanted to put across a slightly different take on it, and understand some of the points made as they differed from my own experience. I have to say, the thing about only being able to eat basic food syn free really surprises me. Its my experience that I can eat all sorts of foods without using syns. I make all sorts of foods, curries, paella, Chinese, Roast Dinners! In fact nothing I make could be considered a basic meat & 2 veg meal - and I barely ever use Gravy. I haven't touched butter in 6 months and don't want to eat it anymore , and don't miss bread (OH does though so feel your pain there). But as I said, I love cooking & trying new foods, and if you don't then I can see why it would be a bit boring.

On the portion control, again, I agree its down to the individual, but personnally, I would rather learn portion control myself, with the aid of my slimming plan, than have a diet which forces it on me - its partly to do with not liking being told what to do I think.

Again, all down to personal preference I guess.

On the grocery bill - yes it costs me more in the supermarket, but I don't buy food at work anymore (at least a tenner a day), and rarely eat takeaway - these combined probably were £70 a week, and my entire food bill for 2 people is about £90 a week now, so I'm actually saving :)

Good luck to all with whatever way you try to loose weight x

Back