Yay! Found a cheap veg shop!

JosieDelonge

While out in town yesterday I found a cheap market type shop which sold fruit and veg so I bought:

7 medium sized mushrooms
6 bananas
4 medium carrots
14 rather large sprouts (love them!)
1 small swede
2 galia melons (super speed food!)
2 heads of broccolli
3 medium leeks
5 medium apples
3 medium sweet potatos
1 box of seedless grapes
Medium sized bag of potatos

All for £10.32!!! Bargain!

Going to make a chicken and leek pie tonight with swede and carrot mash on the top instead of normal potato, with broccolli on the side.

Bacon and leek pasta tomorrow, probaby a meat and 2-veg meal to use my sprouts later in the week. Any veg looking not so healthy at the weekend will be soup! :D

I'm figuring I can probably cut my food shopping bill in half by going there, and getting supermarket value canned goods (taste the same to me) and only getting meat on special offer.

Money worries have come to a head now (don't get paid for another 3 weeks but am just about to head in to my overdraft, and have a large nursery bill to pay this week :cry: ). We've been trying to budget but now we really do have to make the effort.

I've found my downfall was "popping to the shop for a few bits" and overspending. Meh. Going to use up what's in the cupboards and freezer now.

I did search for budget meals on here and printed out some good ideas (mainly pasta dishes which are cheap and filling).

So yay for Covent Garden veg market! Just need to hunt out a good butcher....

(Sorry, I've rambled quite a lot...)

I get my veg delivered once a week, fantastic value. I pay £12 a week (would cost me nearly double in the supermarket). means I have to plan my meals, which is great fro my budget, because I only buy what I need for the week, and it's great for y weight loss too beacause I'm less likey to go off track and grab a takeaway because I can't think of what to cook!!!

Thats great you have found somewhere cheaper.

I have found that by getting my meat in bulk from the meat man (came reccommended to me - you know those that sell from the vans at carboots), I freeze it & it is saving me a small fortune!

So far I haven't had any meat thats overly fatty or not tasting right so will be returning there!

Just need to find the cheap veg shop like you know. I tend to stock up on my weekly shope with what ever is on offer & work round that.

Back