"Eat 7 portions of fruit/veg a day"

I'm on a budget. Don't judge me

I found this article online, from the University College of London, where the research was done:
UCL study finds new evidence linking fruit and vegetable consumption with lower mortality

it says:
The researchers found no evidence of significant benefit from fruit juice, and canned and frozen fruit appeared to increase risk of death by 17% per portion. The survey did not distinguish between canned and frozen fruit so this finding is difficult to interpret. Canned fruit products are almost four times more popular than frozen fruit in Europe, so it is likely that canned fruit dominated this effect.

Not distinguising between canned and frozen fruit is odd, because the two processes are very different. Canning is done with heat, which diminishes the benefits, whereas commercial freezing processes do not.

And this article doesn't seem to say anything about frozen vegetables, although some of the newspaper articles mention them.

It so often happens that the press coverage of surveys tries to over-simplify things and in the process leaves things out or gets them wrong.

I found this article online, from the University College of London, where the research was done:
UCL study finds new evidence linking fruit and vegetable consumption with lower mortality

it says:
and canned and frozen fruit appeared to increase risk of death by 17% per portion.

But everyone has to die sometime so how can something increase or decrease the risk of death?

To be a bit less facetious - I can understand (I think) how canning may not be so good - think sugary syrups, salted water - but I've understood for years that frozen fruit and veg are good for you and may actually be better than what is sold as 'fresh'.

I've always eaten loads of fruit and veg - both fresh and frozen - and eat even more now I follow SW. However, I am sometimes guilty of not eating more veg than fruit, and I am trying to improve this for the sake of my teeth as much as my figure/weight.

Back