Yogurt question

JosieDelonge

If a yogurt is 'fat free' or 'less than 1% fat' - does that automatically make them syn free?

Sorry if that sounds daft, I bought some earlier from Iceland that were down as fat free (£1 for a pack of 6!) but I can't find them on the slimming world site.

I didn't want to eat them if they weren't free. I'm thinking they are with being advertised as fat free, but just checking...

Thank you :)

If they are flavoured they are 0.5 syns, its only the fat free natural that is syn free

HTH x

Thank you for the list. The ones I bought aren't on there. They are from Iceland and all is says on them is "Simply Exquisite Fat Free Yogurt". The address on them have 'Elisabeth the Chef' which isn't on the SW site syns online.

I've found a nutrition chart on them and according to the SW calculator they are 1.5 syns each. Rubbish!

Why aren't muller light flavoured yogurts syns if other fat free yogurts are supposedly 0.5 or more???

It's not whether the yoghurt is fruit flavoured or not that determines the syn value. There are many fruit yoghurts other than Mullerlights that are syn free. It's the nutritional values of the yoghurts that matter. Just because a yoghurt is fat free doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have a lot of sugar in it. The Nom and Yeo Valley yoghurts are prime examples of this.

Always check out the SYN FREE YOGHURT LIST which is a sticky at the top of this forum.

I check it, and keep it updated all the time, that way you will always know you are eating a Syn Free yoghurt.

Thank you for the list. The ones I bought aren't on there. They are from Iceland and all is says on them is "Simply Exquisite Fat Free Yogurt". The address on them have 'Elisabeth the Chef' which isn't on the SW site syns online.

I've found a nutrition chart on them and according to the SW calculator they are 1.5 syns each. Rubbish!

Why aren't muller light flavoured yogurts syns if other fat free yogurts are supposedly 0.5 or more???

It's not rubbish. I have just been into Iceland to look at these.

When you were checking out the nutrition chart you should also have looked at the ingredients list.

Sugar is listed as the second ingredient - if something has sugar in it, it is not going to be free.

I'm really grateful for this thread as it has made me remember to check my assumptions about foods.

Whilst I mostly eat 0% fat greek yog (with no other added ingredients), I had taken to having some 0% fat yeo valley vog on my fruit in the morning.....I could not believe that sugar and sugar syrup were 2nd up in the ingredients list...aaarrggghhh....lesson now learnt :-D

Read the label, read the label, read the label. I keep saying this to myself, and try to remember to do it (although the small print is a bit of a problem - I am thinking of taking a magnifying glass to the supermarket!!!)

Back