You can't cheat!!!!

MrsDetermined

Better drink that water!
I have been speaking with various people about diets and the ones they've tried or just their opinions and I get so frustrated now.... People really slate SW. They don't like it because basically they cant cheat! I was talking with 2 women who are calorie counting/WW - they like it because they can basically starve themselves in the day and then binge in the evening - still staying in their cals. But they're not eating a balanced healthy diet and I think they're missing out on so much of the mind changes that SW gives.

Its so sad. I was telling someone the other day who wants to start SW after her pregnancy, that I think SW is better because it is not really diet but a change of lifestyle. Its not a diet that you can cheat but a healthy eating plan that guides you into a healthy (and for me more organised; meal planning, shopping lists, eating decent meals and actualy eating 3 meals a day!) way of life.

An outsider who hasnt looked into SW sees it as a chore with everything restricted but really its just the way we should be eating (obviously an extra HE or whatever it is if you're not wanting to lose weight)

I no longer call it a diet, I call it a healthy eating plan. Docs should recommend it. My doc said, do SW, WW or calorie counting. I thikn they should encourage people to just do SW then we'd maybe see a turn around in peoples health maybe?

My OH and I were talking about this this morning.

We went out for a meal with my parents yesterday and being on SW made us think more carefully about what we had while not making us feel we HAD to pick from the salads and not have dessert.

A lot of it can be just small changes - like changing how you cook things. Some of them are bigger changes - if you are someone who has always had sandwiches for lunch, coming up with alternatives. But at no point is it restricting your options. If anything it has made me consider stuff I wouldn't have had otherwise.

SW is amazing!!! There is just so much you can have!!!! Meat, Veg, Fruit eat as much as you like!!! just cut out the sweet stuff to a limit!!! Its great!! Its alot easier to be on SW and go out for a meal! Like the other day I had a steak with mushrooms and mash and for desert a fruit salad!

i actually feel like i am healthy eating (if i have a naughty i draw a line under it and carry on) as opposed to dieting and feel good about myself again

Don't know about this not being able to cheat on SW! Several people in my group seem to be able to manage easily :D

It's not so bad now but when I first 'saw the light' i wanted to tell everyone! If I saw someone on the bus who was very heavy I wanted to tell them that I had found the answer, but of course you can't do that!

I too feel angry when people say that SW is restrictive. It is just not true - the SW plan doesn't restrict you from doing anything, it's a person's choices or lack of imagination that restricts them ;)

i dnt think you should tell me, cos then I'll want to do it - but how do you cheat free foods, eat your HEs and only have 15 syns max???

But dont tell me cos I'll do it! :D
eusa_shifty.gif

I think the NHS do recommend SW- I have heard a few people on here talking about getting free membership of SW on referral from their Dr. If it is good enough to be recommended by health professionals, its good enough for me!

(and if other people could see what I eat weekly, they would never consider it restrictive- it would only be restictive if you were lazy/unimaginative imo)

It's not so bad now but when I first 'saw the light' i wanted to tell everyone! If I saw someone on the bus who was very heavy I wanted to tell them that I had found the answer, but of course you can't do that

lmao i have seen me thinking this but have stoped me self in time :)

I thikn they should encourage people to just do SW then we'd maybe see a turn around in peoples health maybe?

Do you remember the posters you used to get in Home Ec rooms at school? The circle divided into different sized sections to show how much you should be eating from what food group? Well this is exactly SW!!! It's EXACTLY how everyone should be eating!

It's not so bad now but when I first 'saw the light' i wanted to tell everyone! If I saw someone on the bus who was very heavy I wanted to tell them that I had found the answer, but of course you can't do that

lmao i have seen me thinking this but have stoped me self in time :)

I know how you feel. I feel like doing that myself. I sometimes want to just tell them to join SW and they will feel so much better.
On the train the other day, I took a snack of muller light and fruit, and while eating this I watched a very large lady scoff two packets of crisps and two chocolate bars. I really fought to button my mouth!

I have people telling me all the time that SW doesn't work... how do they know if they haven't tried? I have explained that I have lost through it, and the general answer is "wait, when you start eating normally it will all come back!" They won't listen that I am eating normally, and always will.... but no go! Anyway, that is their problem, not mine!

I went for a meal with a friend of mine recently and we went to a pub that served a carvery. I loaded my plate with gammon, turkey, roast beef and loads of veg and boiled potatoes. The only things I didn't have were the yorkshire puds, roast potatoes and gravy. So it was free for me.
He said "I thought you were on a diet!"
I said "I am! This is it!" and left it at that.
All I got was a raised eyebrow!!
Needless to say the glass of wine wasn't free but that was just fine!

I think people, generally, don't or can't believe that you can eat a lot and still lose weight.
A friend of mine has lost a lot of weight, and maintained, counting calories. She just can't understand how SW works. I tried to explain and said I would show her my books. She just said "No thanks, I don't read junk!"
Do these people know what they are missing?

I have an opinion on this (now there's a surprise lol). I think the people who sniff at SW and slimming plans in general, are those who are just toooo lazy/don't know how, to cook! If it don't come in a packet, tin or out the freezer and into the ping ping, there bu**ered"! Of course it takes planning and time to prepare a healthy meal, but for heavens sakes peeps, I know what I'd rather have, proper food. A ready meal in a crisis is fine now and again, but as a life style, stuff it. Just my opinion of course.

It's amazing how 'evangelical' we can all become once hooked on Slimming World!!! It's in restaurants that it really gets me - when I see a really big person eating something totally inappropriate, I LONG to go up to them and say something like "do you realise that if you'd chosen this or that, it would have been so much better for you".

I'd probably be splatted on the floor, but often I think that people really don't KNOW anything about healthy eating, which is such a pity, especially when kids are involved.

So pleased to know that I'm not the only one who feels like this!!!

Just want to add my twopennorth and say that a health professional in my doctors practice did sort of recommend slimming world, basically I mentioned WW and SW and she recommended SW out of the two - she didn't give a reason, just pointedly preferred SW.

Also my surgery do the SW on referral scheme. So I guess that counts as promoting it.

We can cheat a little by saving up syns for a night out. I've always saved some syns for the weekend so that I can have a drink (or several) and I've still lost over 2 stone.

Whilst there are restrictions on SW such as limited bread and cereal, I always focus on what we can eat and there's absolutely loads. I now eat a much bigger variety of food and every week is different from the previous one.

At first it took me a lot of planning and I seemed to spend ages preparing and cooking food each day. Now I can usually knock up an SW meal at the last minute as I always have lots of free foods hanging about. I cook some meals in bulk and freeze the surplus so that I have very quick meals ready in the freezer. It's all pretty much second nature to me now and I find it takes me very little effort to cook SW meals.

It takes a lot of commitment and hard work to diet successfully and so many people fail. For them it might help to justify their failure by making excuses and rubbishing diets. Society makes it very difficult indeed to eat healthily and so if you want to lose weight you will just have to work hard at it and accept that you can never go back to eating how you used to if you want to maintain your weight. This is why SW is ideal because you learn a lifestyle that you can keep on with permanently.

I have just started session with a personal trainer and had to infor her I was following the slimming world diet (as she makes me keep a food diary) she thinks it is the best diet plan going,she said most clients she has come across who do WW live off rubbish still,just not very much of it,and thats true,I knew someone who did WW for a year and lived on WW soup,ready meals and Mars bars....not very healthy!

Back