Your favourite budget SW meal?

Shepherds pie with swede and carrot or carrot and butternut squash topping......

Dry fry lean mince and a chopped onion, drain off any residue... add a dash or several of worstershire sauce, a dash or 2 of tabasco, and little water if you want more gravy.. and an oxo cube.... cook the veggies and mash roughly top the meat mix and bung it in the oven... served with lots of veggies and your on to a winner

I love baby potatoes par boiled then fried off in fry light spray with some onion, mushroom, peppers and chilli and then add some cheese and grill, its so tasty and filling :) :cool:

I'd like the recipe for the arrabiata (sp?) thanks loungelizard!

Here you go:)

I usually do this between four of us.

4 rashers of smoked bacon cut into small bit sized pieces(being SW I now cut all fat off) Have used lardons in the past but not sure if they're SW friendly. Would think not.
1 onion finely chopped
1 garlic glove chopped
1 400g tinned tomatoes
1 or 2 or even more chillies sliced (seeds optional)
1 tbsp of tomato puree
1 tsp sugar - or equivalent in sweetner
Water - I usually just fill the empty tomato tin.

Spray a pan with a bit of frylight and brown off bacon and onion. If any water has come out of the bacon I drain this off. Add garlic and chilli and fry off for a few more minutes. Throw in the tin of tomatoes, puree, water and sugar and bring to the boil then simmer stirring occassionally until it's reduced. I think it usually takes about 40 minutes. I also add black pepper if it needs it.

We always find it tastes nicer if it's been made earlier in the day and then stood or the day before. It also freezes really well.

I usually use penna pasta as you can get the sauce in the tubes as well as on the outside.

Hope you like it if you do make it:)

Ooo lounge lizard, that sounds lush! I now have a pad beside my computer for writing down all the delicious ideas I come across whilst browsing this site

Thank you for taking the time to post the recipe. I have some bacon in the fridge that I need to use up, so sounds perfect :)

Madamelaminx - I cook them, then freeze them. To reheat I defrost thoroughly then pop in the oven for 10mins to heat through x

I LOVE sweetcorn and potato fritters. Par boil potatoes then grate, add sweetcorn and 1 egg to bind. Shape into patties and either fry with frylite or bake in oven until golden. I make big batches of these and freeze then - yummy with salad and salsa and cheap to make! xx

Sounds yum, I am cooking them now!! Thanks for sharing.

Can I pls have the lentil and butternut curry recipe!

Please could you add the recipie for the lentil curry - it sounds yummy!! xx

Ooo lounge lizard, that sounds lush! I now have a pad beside my computer for writing down all the delicious ideas I come across whilst browsing this site

Thank you for taking the time to post the recipe. I have some bacon in the fridge that I need to use up, so sounds perfect :)
A tip ,
Copy and paste the ideas and recipes and put them into a folder on your pc , then print off
Simples !!!:D

I found this Mousakka recipe in the recipe section today, just cooked it for tea and it was so tasty!!! It's not the one on the official SW site, it's been tweaked but for the better I'd say:

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/124355-green-day-mousakka.html

PS: To serve 3 big portions or 4 decent I used whole pack of quorn mince, 1 tin of toms and 3x 200g pots of 0% total fat free greek yogurt, 2x onions, 1x aubergine and 3x large maris pipers

Enjoy!!

I LOVE sweetcorn and potato fritters. Par boil potatoes then grate, add sweetcorn and 1 egg to bind. Shape into patties and either fry with frylite or bake in oven until golden. I make big batches of these and freeze then - yummy with salad and salsa and cheap to make! xx

do you mix the egg into the potatoe and sweetcorn.? sorry if thats daft question.

Back