1 week break on LT so early and refeeding? Help please!

Morning All , after my rant earlier I forgot to post what I really wanted to say this morning! DOH

I am doing a charity walk at the beginning of September which is 82 miles across Hadrians Wall in 4 days - its approx 20 miles a day! Obviously, I cannot manage that on LT diet because I will be burning approx 3000 - 4000 calories a day walking and it just wouldnt be sensible. So if I do this:

fri 6th aug - fri 13th aug - WEEK 1 LT
friday 13th - friday 20th aug - WEEK 2 LT
friday 20th - friday 27th aug - WEEK 3 LT

Im then going to Devon with my family friday 27th - monday 30th august and my sponsored walk starts on Sunday 5th September.

Im a bit confused about what to do. Ordinarily I would refeed that week friday 27th - friday 3rd, so that takes me to 2 days before I leave to go to Newcastle but I think staying in a self catering caravan and trying to refeed with just grilled chicken and veg might be quite difficult if everyone is eating out everynight etc?

And also, if I refeed for that 4th week - what advice can you give me while Im doing my 20 mile a day hikes about what to eat and what not to eat because I dont want my first 3 weeks on lipotrim to be a complete waste of time and then pile all teh weight back on as soon as im up there and have to start back at my starting weight when i get home, because if that's going to happen, I might as well start the diet when I get home from hadrians wall!

Any advice would be really helpful cos I really dont know adn its worrying me that i will have wasted my time these first 3 weeks :-(

woody, in my experience, and not wanting to be too blunt... you are falling into the 'any excuse to eat' box.

before you assume you cant stay on LT, speak to LT, and your pharm. and why would your first 3 weeks be a waste? you would prob be a stone lighter, plus all that walking, you would have to do some serious munching to put on!

get proper advice - we will all tell you to stick at it as long as poss, but for the activities you are planning, you need to speak to LT, their number is on the carrier bag your food packs come in.

dont give up on yourself before you have started, and stop talking like failure is inevitable, its not.

your body in ketosis and burning 3000 cals a day would just be losing weight faster I am sure and by then you wont have the munchies like you do now.

but most important - ring LT

I spoke to my pharmacy when I started last friday because I wanted to check what the crack was for when Im doing my walk, and she said under no circumstances was I to try and do LT while I was doing my sponsored walk. She said that walking 20 miles a day on 400 calories would be very difficult and even after I had sustained 3 weeks on the diet, I would find it very difficult to find the energy to do this level of exercise consistently for 3 days.

HAHA Msblonde you are so right ... yes I would love to find any excuse to eat right now but this issue is something completely seperate for me. I want to find the excuse to eat right now! haha not in 3 weeks time when Im told it will all feel easier!! ;-)

In honesty, I don't want to be on LT whilst doing the walk because I know that it's not going to be good for me at all, and as the pharmacy said so, I want to keep my health in good order! Plus, if I collapse on Hadrians wall ... I'll be far out for an ambulance to come and get me, sooooo I want to play it safe. IM already not the fittest of people, hence wanting to get at least a stone of weight off on LT before I go.

However, my question really is that if I am going to have to re-feed for the week before (as my pharmacist told me to) and then eat normally to sustain my energy levels and fitness for the week Im doing my sponsored walk ... is there any advice as to what I should eat whilst on it to make sure I don't put the weight back on that I'd have worked hard to get off for the last 3 weeks ... I think that makes some sort of sense! lol

I have already decided that I will do LT to get my first 2 stone off to kick start my motivation and feel good factor of losing weight and after that I will diet "normally" to loose the remaining 2 stone... maybe I will change my mind after the first 2 weeks if this is going to get easier ... we will see. At the moment, it's a struggle! BUT regardless of that, I do need to eat whilst walking 82 miles across the width of the country :)

I have just sent an email to LT asking them the same - thanks for that suggestion msblonde :)

personally if i were you I would refeed, then the day before the walk, the mornings of the walk, i would eat complex and slow release carbs... brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta... I would mix these with good proteines such as eggs, tuna fish etc. perhaps a good muslie etc. dont go for any refined carbs, white bread, white rice etc... do this for the walk, then after you have finished I would do the refeed backwards, a small aount of carbs first day, even less the next, then a day with no carbs, then get back on the lipotrim train... hths x

Thats really helpful - thanks very much tasha.

Im going to be staying in small barn places where we get our breakfasts made for us - so it will be difficult to request slow release carbs for breakfast but I could try asking for poached egg on wholemeal break or soemthing similar.

thanks thats helped a lot :)

I am pleased you checked it out with the pharm, you were worrying me there! ;)

as for what to eat, have you got a refeed sheet off the pharm? that for the refeed period, then after, maybe slow release carbs, starting a few days before to give your body chance to build up muscle glygogen to store enery for you, it will show on the scales as glygogen stores itself in water, however, after wards when you are eating less carbs, it will go again.

as you say you are not that fit, I dont want to sound hard here, but have you checked if you are fit enough to do this first? like with a gp? I am only asking because I dont know if you have done anything like it before, or if you are usually couch potato and go on to do this, it maybe a bit of a shock for your body.

as for what to eat during the walk, I would guess a good place to start is people that have done it before, the organisors etc.. they are prob used to this question.

you are basically looking for food to sustain energy levels, my guess would be low gi, but do check with the organisors and more experienced walkers.

it may be worth taking half a dozen protein bars from GNC, they are meal replacements, but you may find that 3 'normal' meals may leave you empty, and having these could be the extra snack that you need, all low ish carbs, high protein and low gi.

hope that helps and good luck! :D

Thanks msblonde - it definitely does help!

There are no organisers because its a solo challenge that myself and a friend set up so we have done all the organising and mapping etc ourselves so there isn't really anyone to ask if that makes sense. It was all planned well before I decided to do LT and all I know is that all the places we are staying have promised a "hearty meal" after our long trek .. it sounded wonderful at the time! :-(

I havent checked with a doc BUT I have been getting my level of fitness up over the last few months .. and as it's walking and not running and theres no race as such - we can just take our time and pace ourselves. We will be able to stop for pub lunches and things so I just need to make sure I take a list with me of things that are suitable and try to stock up on those high energy foods .. I really really dont want to put my 3 weeks of weight loss back on in the space of a week...but then saying that, if Im burning 4000 calories and taking in approx 1600 then they might not happen anyway

Thanks peeps

Exiguous is your woman for this question - she exercises like a maniac!

I personally can't see any reason why you would need to stop your lipotrim at all tbh - your fat stores will be mobilised to give you energy, instead of the glycogen and carbs your friend will be using. If you think of it, people walk for hundreds of miles during famine times to get to food.

FWIW, on a much much much smaller scale, I did a ten mile charity walk on day 5 of lipotrim when I first started, and had buckets of energy - could have done much longer.

HTH, good luck in your walk, I hope you raise loads of money and come back and tell us you lost a stone too! And somebody give exiguous a nudge?

Thanks waterworks ... you seem to have done the round on all my posts tonight! LOL thank you

and if anyone feels the urge to sponsor me .. please feel free!

www.justgiving.com/twoodthorpe

Good night all ... time to sleep and wait for Day 6 :)

Back