13 (stone) really is an unlucky number

Bella30

Silver Member
Hi everyone

I started SW in January at 15st 9lbs and got down to 12st 9lbs but since then have lost my motivation to stick to it and am back in the high end of 13 stone again. :mad: I'm trying desperately to get my motivation back but can't seem to find it. I really want to get out of the 13st mark and back into the 12's and eventually down to 10st 7lbs but for now, I just can't seem to do it.

Please, please, please, is there anyone out there who can offer any advice or support to help me do it. I'm so pleased with my weight loss but it's creeping back on now and I need to do something quickly before I'm back at nearly 16 stone again. I was so motivated and focused so don't know what's happened. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what did you do to get back on track?

Thanks

Bella

I've had a similar sticking problem, started at 14 st 6 then got to 12st? then had a year off and then struggled to get passed the 12st 8 bit.
Over the last week I have just clicked with it again, it's taken two months of pretending to diet, but I seem to be on track now with my new target of 10st 7!! Same as yours!!
Everyone is different and I can't even say what motivated me, so it's difficult to help you. Do you go to group? I've started staying again and I think that's a major factor for me.
Also not trying to do too much, I started to exercise and I think diet and exercise is too much of a shock for me so I'm sticking to the diet for now!!
Hope this helps a bit
Ali xx

I think you need to believe in yourself and tell yourself every day you are doing this for you because you deserve it and you are worth it.
Deal with one day at a time
When you get up say today I'm going to concentrate on me cos I'm worth it.
I can do it and I will do it.
Losing weight by following the plan is the easy bit
Getting your head round actually doing it is the hard part
You know you can do it .............. Good luck

Thank you, both. I appreciate your replies.

Ali - clicking is definitely what it's all about. I remember how I felt the day I went back to work after Xmas sitting at my desk. I felt so fat and uncomfortable and told myself I would never get like this again. As I am typing this, I am sitting here with those feelings brewing again so I think you've hit the nail on the head!

Glasgow Girl - self belief is something I struggle with all the time as I have always had low self esteem despite my "Bubbly" and "outgoing" personality! Going back to when I started in January, I finally started to become a little bit selfish and think of myself and what I need to do to lose the weight and that has gone over the last few weeks.

You're both so right, I need to get back to concentrating on myself and spend less time worrying about everyone around me. Thank you! :) xx

I think take it 1lb a week at a time. That way - not too much pressure and you feel you are getting somewhere, even if its slow compared to others.

I am aiming this week to lose 1lb. It will be hard cos i have a few nights/meals out....but hoping to get a loss this week.

x

1lb a week is a fantastic goal like ellebear said

I know often its poo'd urg only 1lb blah blah blah... but 1lb a week is a stone ever few months and thats not nothing is it

and 1lb is so easy

Maybe you are lacking motivation because somewhere inside a little voice is telling you that although you have gained a little, you have still lost a lot. Or maybe without realising it, you believe that because you have already lost x amount, you could do it again. the strong voice inside you is the one that has come here for encouragement, so make that strong voice the only one you believe in. Go back to when you first started, remember filling out your food diary and how good and positive you felt when the weight started coming off. Try to remember how you felt when you stuck to plan and realised that in time you where going to look and feel so different. Aim to try and lose at least a pound in the next seven days, and when you see how simply you can achieve this, you could then aim for 2lb the week after, by the end of this month you WILL reach the 12 st something mark but you have to believe you can do it. :)

Think about it this way. There are only 14 pounds in a stone because years ago someone decided that there were. And a stone was a different number of pounds depending on what you were weighing! (Stone (imperial mass) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Therefore it is entirely by chance that you have this 13 stone idea in your mind as a barrier. It is meaningless.

I have this thing in my head which tells me that everything takes either 15 minutes, or 30, or 45, or an hour, and so on. It is ridiculous of course - the division of time like that is entirely arbitrary, and so is the division of weight.

Would it help to count in metric? Or some other unit - there are loads to choose from! Category:Units of mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not being flippant here - if counting something some way sets up a barrier in the mind, then count it a different way. Our minds are weird and sometimes we need to find a way to get around that.

1lb a week is a fantastic goal like ellebear said

I know often its poo'd urg only 1lb blah blah blah... but 1lb a week is a stone ever few months and thats not nothing is it

and 1lb is so easy

I think take it 1lb a week at a time. That way - not too much pressure and you feel you are getting somewhere, even if its slow compared to others.

I am aiming this week to lose 1lb. It will be hard cos i have a few nights/meals out....but hoping to get a loss this week.

x

Thank you both. You're right, 1lb is a very realistic goal and is something I'm going to strive for now. As I originally said to myself, "slow and steady wins the race" so that's how I'm going to look at it from now on xxx

Maybe you are lacking motivation because somewhere inside a little voice is telling you that although you have gained a little, you have still lost a lot. Or maybe without realising it, you believe that because you have already lost x amount, you could do it again. the strong voice inside you is the one that has come here for encouragement, so make that strong voice the only one you believe in. Go back to when you first started, remember filling out your food diary and how good and positive you felt when the weight started coming off. Try to remember how you felt when you stuck to plan and realised that in time you where going to look and feel so different. Aim to try and lose at least a pound in the next seven days, and when you see how simply you can achieve this, you could then aim for 2lb the week after, by the end of this month you WILL reach the 12 st something mark but you have to believe you can do it. :)

You are so right, that's exactly what my mind is telling me. It happens so often when I get so far with my weight loss and now I know why. I went food shopping today and have stocked up on foods from my week 1 food diary. I'm going to follow that for the next week and see how I get on. Will take it day by day and lb by lb and hopefully it will put me back on the weight loss map! Thank you :) xxx

Thank you! :) xx p.s I LOVE the pink dress you're wearing in your photo! :) xx

Back