15 Stone To Lose - Help And Encouragement Gratefully Recieved!

Thanks Val, all are well here in Manc, hoping you're ok down south and enjoy your bank holiday weekend too!

We went out for a lovely meal today at The Harvester (love their unlimited salad!) which was great! I was sort of good. My Mum lives down south (Brighton - I moved away) so only gets to visit every few months so we went for a meal as she is going home on Sunday and today was OH's day off, so the meal was mostly SW friendly, but I have saved some syns this week to cushion it :)

I hadn't noticed you were a Manc too lol Not seen many round here but then again I don't notice these things much - which is why I didn't notice you already had a food diary link in your signature :eek:

Are you doing WIs at home before you start at your new class on the 5th?

I hadn't noticed you were a Manc too lol Not seen many round here but then again I don't notice these things much - which is why I didn't notice you already had a food diary link in your signature :eek:

Are you doing WIs at home before you start at your new class on the 5th?

Yes I am weighing at home, every sunday at the moment (will obviously change to monday's when I start going to class)

I live in Manc, but I'm from Sussex - I moved up here to live with my OH who's a Manc.

Also I've been wondering, what is this image therapy people keep talking about in classes? I've never actually been to a group before so have no idea what it is!

Congratulations for making that first step!!

I am 26 and was 19 stone 4 at the start of this month. I knew I had a lot of weight to lose for my five foot 3 frame and obviously would love for it to magically fall off and everyone has told me to set little goals, etc which I thought was annoying / frustrating at first but as I'm getting close to my first stone lost already, I can see that things have improved. I have more movement in my neck (less chunky feeling) and my clothes hang down a tiny bit easier.

The truth is I felt a silence click in my head. This time I KNOW I can do it. Each stone is a MASSIVE achievement and so much closer to my goal. Theres a poster in SW that is a map of Great Britain. It has two paths on it - one goes straight from a point in the north to a point in the south and the other path is from the same points but a wiggly long line. Im choosing to go straight there with hard work and determination. I know the 'straight there' path means I'll have to work harder but I dont see why I should make this journey any longer than it needs to be.

I have rambled for a little bit but hopefully you can take some of my postiveness and go for it - WE CAN DO IT !!

Karen x

Yes I am weighing at home, every sunday at the moment (will obviously change to monday's when I start going to class)

I live in Manc, but I'm from Sussex - I moved up here to live with my OH who's a Manc.

Also I've been wondering, what is this image therapy people keep talking about in classes? I've never actually been to a group before so have no idea what it is!

I'm not altogether sure nowadays - I'm doing it from home too atm, though I went to a group a few years ago. Ours was fairly bog-standard with a roundup of people's results, slimmer of the week, new healthy extras/low syn things. From reading other peoples post and in the magazine there seems to be more motivating talks and taster evenings with recipe sharing and other helpful stuff, depends on the consultant.

I went to one before, don't think my consultant could be bothered that much, there weren't really any maintainers there to give advice and it was mostly just clicky groups of friends going together and talking amongst themselves. Needless to say I didn't go more than a couple of months :sigh:

Living in another area now and pondering joining a group but if I do that I'll have to swap a first-thing nudey WI to a late evening one fully clothed - don't think I want to have to go backwards a few lbs in my results - excuse me if that's too much info lol

Hopefully if yours is a brand new group opening the consultant might make more of an effort :)

Last edited:
I went to another SW group in our town (that isnt going anymore - funny enough!) and the consultant was terrible !! I felt no where near supported but I dont know if I just wasnt in the same frame of mind as I am now which didnt help.

Our group now is brilliant - the members really support each other too x

I went to another SW group in our town (that isnt going anymore - funny enough!) and the consultant was terrible !! I felt no where near supported but I dont know if I just wasnt in the same frame of mind as I am now which didnt help.

Our group now is brilliant - the members really support each other too x

Aww that's great, I'm sure it makes all the difference to keeping on track if you have a supportive meeting to go to each week :)

Congrats on your losses so far Karen - hows this week been so far?

Got my fifth WI tomorrow, I've banned my scales to the cellar so no peeking all week. Nervous!

Hello to everyone in the thread :)
I'm really glad that I found this thread, as I am in a similar boat. I'm 24 and I weigh just under 27st at the moment.. I started off at 29st 3lbs and would like to lose about 17st more.
It just seems like its such a long way off and such a big target. I agree with (think it was Georgielass, sorry if it wasn't) that said the small goals are so much help.
I have broken my goals down into 5% targets. I've already lost 5% and I'm going towards my 10%. I quite like thinking..ooh, I'm nearly 10% smaller than when I started, and will just be very pleased when I can say something like, ooh, I've lost 50% of myself, I'm half a person etc lol.

Are you doing any exercise? I've just got a free pass at a gym for a month yesterday. Although I'm finding the thought of going pretty difficult and makes me feel quite sick. Especially since I'd be going by myself. Hopefully I'll find the courage and commitment to go and keep going though.

Before I ramble on anymore, I just wanted to say good luck!

Hello to everyone in the thread :)
I'm really glad that I found this thread, as I am in a similar boat. I'm 24 and I weigh just under 27st at the moment.. I started off at 29st 3lbs and would like to lose about 17st more.
It just seems like its such a long way off and such a big target. I agree with (think it was Georgielass, sorry if it wasn't) that said the small goals are so much help.
I have broken my goals down into 5% targets. I've already lost 5% and I'm going towards my 10%. I quite like thinking..ooh, I'm nearly 10% smaller than when I started, and will just be very pleased when I can say something like, ooh, I've lost 50% of myself, I'm half a person etc lol.

Are you doing any exercise? I've just got a free pass at a gym for a month yesterday. Although I'm finding the thought of going pretty difficult and makes me feel quite sick. Especially since I'd be going by myself. Hopefully I'll find the courage and commitment to go and keep going though.

Before I ramble on anymore, I just wanted to say good luck!
I don't go to a gym and to be honest don't plan on doing so until I'm smaller. I totally agree with you, it makes me feel sick to think about it. I think the part that worries me is if the machines/equipment has weight limits how embarrassing it would be to go to the gym/sign up for membership and then not be able to go on half of it because I'm too big. I won't go swimming either (I bought a swimming costume with full intent of starting swimming in a size 30/32 and it didn't fit so I can't go in a swim suit that i cant "keep" myself in - SO embarrassing trying it on and it just wouldnt go on)
My mum has lent me her Wii so I've got Just dance and do that sometimes (need to start doing it more often) which is a pretty good work out, also I've got a few of the English Biggest Loser work out DVD's which are good, but of course being the size I am there are certain bits of it I can't do yet.
Honestly though I don't do much exercise at the moment (probably half the problem) but I fully intend to do more as the weight comes off :)

My mini targets are in stones rather than percentages as I'll be able to keep on track with remembering those better than % i think.
I believe that you need to reward yourself though, but with non-food items.

I'm glad you've joined us and good luck to us all!

I'm a 30/32 and 28 stone and go to the gym. I swim more than anything and love it. I wear cycling shorts and a costume. I would be lying if I said people didn't look at me, but I have never had someone say anything to me apart from praise for actually doing something and not being scares.

At the end of the day, you have to think of what is going to be achieved by you doing it rather than how things are now.

And don't worry about weight limits on equipment. All gyms I have ever been to, including council and currently total fitness, have expensive machines which are designed to cope with a lot of weight. Most home gym equipment which is cheaper has a weight limit.

You will also get an induction with one of the instructors, who will how you what to do for your needs!

Joining the gym is probably the best thing I have done - exercise goes hand in hand with diet and I have no motivation at home, as the sofa is usually more appealing!!! X

Thanks Val, all are well here in Manc, hoping you're ok down south and enjoy your bank holiday weekend too!

We went out for a lovely meal today at The Harvester (love their unlimited salad!) which was great! I was sort of good. My Mum lives down south (Brighton - I moved away) so only gets to visit every few months so we went for a meal as she is going home on Sunday and today was OH's day off, so the meal was mostly SW friendly, but I have saved some syns this week to cushion it :)
hi emma i lived near brighton for a while in portslade its a small world isn't it and one of my daughters moved but to wales :cry: and my daughter went to our local harvester last week i had j.pot (no butter) the salad and a steak was lovely we are going again next saturday. have a great weekend love val xx

Holy Freaking Crap! People! I've lost 5lb this week!!!!! I'm so pleased!

Keep your chins up everyone, this is a serious accomplishment for me! I've NEVER lost that amount in one week before! Wooo

Excellent! Well done x

Well done! Doesn't it feel amazing when you step on the scales and you have actually lost? Hopefully I'll have the same feeling on Wednesday :)

What are you looking forward to doing most when you have lost whatever weight you want to lose? I like to try and keep thinking about that when I'm having a day that isn't going to plan.x

Well done on your first week's result! I'm sure you'll have another great week with that 5lbs to boost you :)

Back