2 Little Questions...

Greeneyes11

Gold Member
Just wondered if anyone could help me, I have 2 questions...

1. I started losing weight on Weightwatchers, but the weight wasn't really coming off, so started a low carb diet expecting to lose loads as I was sticking rigidly to it and was in ketosis, but in 3 weeks only lost 2.5lb. I have now started the Cambridge Diet but have realised that I think I lost inches instead of the weight on the Low Carb diet as I suddenly could wear smaller jeans (I have only been on the cambridge diet a week so it wasn't that). So the question is, how long do you think it would take to lose 3 stone on the low carb diet.

2. If I was to lose 2 stone on the Cambridge diet and then decided to go back on the low carb diet to lose the rest of my weight, would I put weight on whilst adjusting to the more food I would be eating including the fat and protein, or would I continue to lose weight without any gain?

Thank you for any replies.

Didn't want to read and run.....if you go back to eating once you've been on the CD, I would've thought your first WI may be quite small as your body adjusts, so saying that, if you do CD you end up SS+'ing anyways, so hopefully someone who has been through the different stages would be able to advise you better than I, or try and private message KD, she's fab with answers to things like this xx

(I have only been on the cambridge diet a week so it wasn't that).

It could have been. People often lose inches from the first day onwards (admittedly, it's mainly from water), but it could have been a mix of low carb and CD.

So the question is, how long do you think it would take to lose 3 stone on the low carb diet.
You can't tell. Weight loss comes from reduced calories. Low enough carbs puts you in a state of ketosis, which leads you to naturally reduce calories, hence you lose weight.

But, how many calories a person reduces will vary. With Cambridge, there is a fixed calorie level, so most people lose approx a stone + a month. Not knocking low carb at all, it's just a fact.

2. If I was to lose 2 stone on the Cambridge diet and then decided to go back on the low carb diet to lose the rest of my weight, would I put weight on whilst adjusting to the more food I would be eating including the fat and protein, or would I continue to lose weight without any gain?
If you went onto low carb way of dieting, you may or may not gain. Again, it will come down to how many calories. All diets reduce metabolism to a certain extent. A VLCD reduces it a little lower. You would be better to go up some of the CD plans to raise your metabolism before embarking on a low carb way of eating.

Having said that, you may well find that moving straight to low carb doesn't cause a weight gain. It just so depends.

You wouldn't get the water weight gain that people usually get when going from Cambridge straight onto a more traditional diet (aka WW, SW, CC).

Sorry, I can give you any promises as it's impossible to know exactly what will happen, but I hope that helps answer your questions in some way:)

knew it lol well done KD xx

Thanks KD, another problem I have is that I dont seem to be able to get into ketosis with the CD diet, it has been a week now and first thing in the morning I am in and once I have my first shake it knocks me out, whereas when I was on the low carb diet I was in ketosis all the time.... so never felt hungry.

knew it lol well done KD xx

:D I love answering these types of questions :clap:

Thanks KD, another problem I have is that I dont seem to be able to get into ketosis with the CD diet, it has been a week now and first thing in the morning I am in and once I have my first shake it knocks me out, whereas when I was on the low carb diet I was in ketosis all the time.... so never felt hungry.

How do you know you are 'in' first thing in the morning, or 'out' after your first shake?

I use ketostix

I use ketostix

Ah. Well, they never showed positive once for me, and I was certainly in ketosis.

Ketosis happens in the blood, and only shows on the stix if there's an overflow into the urine.

On plans such as Atkins, carbs tend to be a bit lower, so less chance of coming out after a meal compared to the shakes, but even so, you only slip out for a moment...and then straight back in :clap:

So unless being 'out' is causing a lot of grief...terrible hunger for ages and ages, then don't be concerned. You're still burning fat :)

I have one simple rule which diet you should do, (assuming it's proven to be healthy) and that's do the one you can stick with, without going off plan enough to sabotage ;)

Thanks KD, I am still starving hungry, and everyone keeps commenting on the really loud rumbling noises my stomach is making, on the low carb diet I was never hungry. I will stick to whichever diet I choose as I have the willpower, the problem is do I want to be happy and not hungry and lose less or miserable and starving and lose more...

Ah, just replied on your other thread about being happy ;)

Ah, KD pretty much answered all of these

Ah. Well, they never showed positive once for me, and I was certainly in ketosis.

I only ever used a Ketostick once, the only result I got was wet fingers.

lol, guess that is the downfall of being a man....

AND! got a telling off from *HER* for splattering the bathroom floor. :(

Back