25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

On today's weigh in I am down 3lb since last weigh in about 3 days ago.... woo woo... 23st 8. I know that sounds horrendously super morbidly obese to 99% of the population, but it's the lowest weight I have been for at least ooooh 7 or 8 years maybe more.

That's such a fantastic victory, you must feel proud! It doesn't matter how it sounds to anyone other than you, you're achieving something really hard!
X

Excellent news Helena. Into the 320s this week then.

Oooh I don't dare to predict, my darling, it always seems to lead to disappointment. I'm focussing on keeping to 1800 calories if I can. If I am really hungry then I will allow up to 2000 but only if I feel desperately hungry. Also, early to bed, that seems very important. In bed by 10pm like a good girl! Or 8pm if I get lucky! Heheheh

That's such a fantastic victory, you must feel proud! It doesn't matter how it sounds to anyone other than you, you're achieving something really hard!
X

Yes, weight loss is a funny thing; it can be so easy at times; incredibly difficult at other times. So long as I am going through an "easy" period I get along fine.... but when I hit a rough patch, like for example I am craving to overeat (through stress) or am exceptionally hungry, then it's very hard indeed. It seems to swing between the two, for me. The main thing is for me to develop strategies for when it gets hard.... like, going upstairs to my bedroom, where there is no food other than cup a soups and a kettle, and having a pampering session... by which I mean, a hot shower (I have one ensuite) followed by shaving the bits I shave, applying some lovely cocoa butter all over, trimming my toenails, dabbing on my fave perfume, that kind of thing, Then snuggling under the duvet all warm and glowing, and maybe watch something on iPlayer or a comedy on radio before drifting into sleep. I think all that makes a great diversion when I get a craving to phone for a takeaway or do something else self-destructive.

Possibly it's replacing self-destruction with self-care?

I do the same, have a bit of a pamper (mainly includes painting nails and it makes eating a LOT harder!) when I get bad cravings. It's certainly easier to eat bad food when you're feeling worse about yourself, I maintain I only ever crave pizza when I've not got the energy to wash my hair, because I'm feeling like a slob, makes it easier to act like one I guess!

Self care definitely seems the better option!

Great achievement, I think it's those little personal milestones that mean the most

I'm with you on the pampering, though it makes me sad that the only time I try to look after myself is when I'm actively losing weight. I put my poor body through hell and I only treat it kindly when I'm dieting, I'm surprised its still talking to me:p

The aquafit sounds great, is it much easier to exercise in the water?

I I only ever crave pizza when I've not got the energy to wash my hair, because I'm feeling like a slob, makes it easier to act like one I guess!

Do you remember Waynetta Slob? If not, Youtube....

Blimey Kahleesi I hardly know where to start in praising water-based exercise for fatties.

OK let's start by saying that, in the water, a 20 stone woman feels 10 stone. Is that enough to tempt you?

Because your entire weight is supported by the water, by your own buoyancy, in fact, you can for example kick your legs about like a mad thing and it takes very little effort. I cannot even lift my legs when I am on dry land. (For example when attempting to climb onto b/f's motorbike, I literally cannot lift my leg up high enough to get it over the saddle.) But in the water, I can lift my legs as though they are weightless, and touch (kick) the wall level with my shoulders.

I bought a Speedo Aquabeat (google it) and this has revolutionised my in-pool time. Basically, I'm having my own private disco, in the water. I dance, crazy-dance, under the water, to the beat of my favourite old 1970s dance music, and I forget I am fat, forget I am in water, forget everything : all that matters is moving to the music.

TRY IT!

Oh Yes! Though like to hope I'm never THAT bad!

Haha I didn't mean YOU were like her, I meant SHE is the archetype of pizza and slobbing going together....

Also, CAKE!

And FAGS!

So here is the Aquabeat....

You attach it on the goggle strap just behind your ear (that way you can reach it to adjust volume, skip tracks, etc)

So you see the man has it just behind his ear...

Here is one in lovely girlie pink, you can see it has special waterproof earphones. You can go underwater wearing it, to about 50ft depth.

See 3rd pic ~ it has a special slot in the back which attaches it to ANY pair of goggles.

And last pic, this is the front of it. Two huge buttons on the side make it simple to just reach your hand up to your ear and press the left button for "play" and right for "stop". It's that simple! The volume buttons are on the underside. And because there are only 4 buttons, you soon learn to operate the thing without having to ever look at it.

If you don't like wearing goggles, you can buy a special arm pouch with a strap which holds the Aquabeat at the top of your arm.

It genuinely changed my exercise. With the music I do it all faster, harder and for LONGER because I love dancing, and that is what I am doing ~ dancing, which sounds fun, NOT exercising, which sounds boring.

Attachments

• ab1.jpg
    ab1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 47
  • ab2.jpg
    ab2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 49
  • ab3.jpg
    ab3.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 46
  • ab4.jpg
    ab4.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the information :flowers:

I'm disabled with very little mobility so exercise is a no go for me (which makes things sooo much harder!) but what you've described sounds fab, and if I could do even a little exercise in the water it would make such a difference. The music is the real selling point though, how amazing to be able to listen to good music in the water! I can see how it would help loads

I haven't swum/swam/swimdedededed since I was 16 when PE stopped being a force put. I spent pretty much every swimming lesson trying to get out of it - and was mostly successful, especially when we had a succession of supply teachers for pe in year 11 and I could get away.

Hated it - I remember being in year 6 and terrified of it but forced into the pool and dragged around by a teaching assistant - LITERALLY screaming my head off. I was so scared - and the *******s put me off it good and proper. I didn't learn to swim properly until I was in year 7 and I had a lovely patient teacher who spent one on one time with me and REALLY taught me it (during pe lessons) and bought me a swimming badge after I'd learnt to do it. Having said that again it was always a doggy paddle - never improved - and I got out of it ever since. Haven't swum in what... 13 (gulp!) years now so I probably can't again (!) but it is something that, post a fair bit more weight loss - I will look into because of how supportive the water is :)

Congrats on everything lovely - especially the library and letters after your name thing - that is AWESOME! :) You remind me so much of an old friend of mine who is also an author. She battles with her weight too but has gone past the point of caring. She has such confidence that can't help but be admired.

Hi Helena,
Great to see you making progress and sounding more positive again.
I'm still following you and here for support.
Youre doing really well xxxx

Hi Bear and thanks!

Princess: there is no swimming involved in dancing to music in the water. You need not even get your hair wet!

Kahleesi: if your disability allows, do try the water exercise. You can make it as gentle as you like. The pace is entirely up to you.

Down another pound today to 329. At LAST I have broken that 300 barrier ~ I was starting to think I was going to wobble between 332 and 338 forever!

I have bought a load of "treat size" chocolates. These are tiny and about 50 to 60 calories each.

I sorta realised that, when I used to go down the newsagent and buy a Crunchie, a Fudge, a Ripple and a Picnic, is wasn't that I wanted a load of chocolate, it's that I wanted four different types. Now I can have four different types of chocolate bar, for about 200 calories. There's easily room for that in an 1800 restriction.

Anyway, 329 woo woo which is 23 stone 7. I cannot tell you how desperate I am to get into the 22s ... I mean be 22 stone something instead of 23... but I realise it ain't gonna happen just because I want it. It will come when it's good and ready. I think it would pay me to keep off the scales for a week ... if I can!

Well done Helena - what a fab achievement! You're making great progress - well on course to target - go you!

Cheers, Krup.

Not doing so well today. Feeling exceptionally, desperately, gut-wrenchingly hungry. Feel like I could eat a horse. Only got 477 calories left for today and it's only half past four. I've been busy busy busy all day non stop and I am flagging, eyes heavy, stomach rumbling...

Half of me wants to make a "Wise Choice", eat my 477 and then hide in my bedroom where the calories cannot get me.

Half of me wants to phone for a massive takeaway, and stuff myself absolutely stupid.

At this moment, I don't know which half is going to win.

Helena

Edited to add... I just noticed that I had not updated my signature below to reflect that I have now got into the 23 stone bracket.

If you order a big takeaway, I can guarentee that you'll make yourself feel worse by adding extra guilt in. If you want to go over a little bit - like 2/300 it's not going to upset your hand work too much. If you go over it by 6/700+ because of the takeaway you'll be massively undoing the sheer hard work you've done to finally get things moving again.

If you're hungry - eat that bit extra. It's your body asking for it (as long as you don't abuse it nightly) as you've been so busy. If your busy-ness has been moving around a lot - you'l have burnt off extra cals as it is.

If you want to go over a little bit - like 2/300 it's not going to upset your hand work too much. If you go over it by 6/700+ because of the takeaway you'll be massively undoing the sheer hard work you've done to finally get things moving again.

thanks Princess.... somehow i managed to restrain myself. I had two portions of my home made frozen cottage pie ready meal, a 56cal choccie bar and a cup of milk.

2200 calories.

I'll see if I can cut back by 400 over the next few days.

I was really very hungry.

Helena

Last edited:
I am feeling bad this morning.

I have failed to keep to 2 out of the 3 goals I set myself :-(

1) I did not go swimming
2) I did not stick to 1800 calories every day

On the plus side, I have cut back on bread. I cannot remember the last time I had a slice. It hasn't made me feel any different or made me lose weight any faster, so not sure why I bother with THAT restriction!

I could have at least TRIED to keep to 1800 calories yesterday... I had only 477 left, but ate over 800!

Later I thought of a way that I could have done so... (pilchards [200] on 2 toast [100] and a cup a soup [100] and a banana [80] could come to 477, the amount of calories I had left, and been filling enough). I must remind myself not to forget about pilchards on toast. It's one of the most filling and satisfying ways of spending 300 calories.

I'm feeling disappointed in myself. AND on top of that the scale says 330 ~ UP a pound, when I was hoping for 328 or even 327. I guess that is my punishment for going over yesterday.

Bah bah bah!

But, lesson learned.

And I get another chance. Today is a brand new day, and a brand new opportunity to be PERFECT

Luckily I slept till 9am. (I find it hard to stick to 1800 when I get up at 6am because there are so many more hours to fill till bedtime.) Also, I don't feel hungry yet, so maybe can hold out till 11am.

I have put 350g raw lean chicken breast into my home made vegetable soup, and am steaming 400g of fresh sprouts.

I'll have half the chicken soup for breakfast, the sprouts with Bisto for lunch, and the other half of the chicken soup for dinner. Hopefully ~ even with a treat of a mug of tea and two tiny chocolate treat bars ~ this will keep me down to 1400 calories today, to make up for yesterday.

Before rising I made a list of 20 things I must do today... so I shall be busy all day, burning off calories and not thinking about food.

Helena

Back