25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

I am so with you on the chocolate. I could have written that. I've screwed up like 2 weeks of my diet. Just had my shake and fruit at work. Only because I didn't fancy the school dinner. I went to ask for school dinner. Was so determined to get back on if today. I've managed so far. No idea what to have for tea though x

I do empathise Helena. I can't keep any goodies in the house at all as I simply can't control myself around them. If I bought some multipacks of chocolate I would just sit there and eat them till they were gone. Only yesterday I thought I'd buy a jar of peanut butter to have as a treat. Big mistake. I ate the WHOLE JAR between 2pm and 9pm. As Oscar Wilde said 'I can resist everything except temptation'. I just need to (re) learn not to keep things like that in the house. So if I really want some chocolate I have to make a special expedition to the shop and buy only a small amount.

Hello to everyone! Thanks for your posts.

Only yesterday I thought I'd buy a jar of peanut butter to have as a treat. Big mistake. I ate the WHOLE JAR between 2pm and 9pm. As Oscar Wilde said 'I can resist everything except temptation'. I just need to (re) learn not to keep things like that in the house. So if I really want some chocolate I have to make a special expedition to the shop and buy only a small amount.

Thank you Krup: I don't feel quite so isolated when reminded that I am far from alone in having these behaviours ~ compulsions, addictions, lack of willpower.

Did you keep putting the peanut butter away and then going back for it again and again?

The "special expedition" ruse does not work with my psychology: the longer I have to wait, and the further I have to go to get it, the more chocolate I'll buy when I finally get to the shop. I think the only thing that is going to work for me is keeping only Slimfast Caramels in the house and telling myself that this is my only allowed chocolate.

Helena

I spoke to my travelling companion again last night. We talked about where we are going at Easter and in the summer hols.

The last three trips have been utter misery for me because of the terrible burden of my massive weight. Not only was it physically and mentally distressing for me, it was also extremely embarrassing that everyone could see how much I was struggling, and I felt so very guilty about how it adversely affected my companion as I got so tired that we cut many visits (to museums etc) short, and all our walking and sightseeing was restricted by me.

I am grateful that despite all that he is still happy to go away with me again. I am determined not to let him down. I must get to under 20 stone by April, when we go to Switzerland/Italy, and hopefully I can get to 18 stone or less by the summer.

I have my eye on these holidays. I am focussing on them, planning them, and determined to enjoy them.

I do empathise Helena. I can't keep any goodies in the house at all as I simply can't control myself around them. If I bought some multipacks of chocolate I would just sit there and eat them till they were gone.
Yep, same here. I don't allow myself multipacks of things unless I have company coming who will eat it all for me! I know myself too well. I'll just sit and eat it.

I've found that light hot chocolate can help curb my chocolate cravings, and I'm at no risk of bingeing on it the way I always do with chocolate bars. I think the Cadbury's ones have like 50something calories per mug? Would have to double check, but it's something like that. The light hot chocolates come in more flavours as well -- mint, orange, hazelnut, etc. Maybe something like that could work for you? It's not as satisfying as biting into something, but it's sweet and chocolaty and often does the trick. :) I like to pair it with a piece of fruit, so I get some fibre and something to chew on to further satisfy my craving.

I still can't have sweet stuff in the house, I can cope with quavers and curly wurlys but thats it. My compulsion to eat the treats until they have completely gone is still there. :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

thank you Krup: I don't feel quite so isolated when reminded that I am far from alone in having these behaviours ~ compulsions, addictions, lack of willpower.

Did you keep putting the peanut butter away and then going back for it again and again?

Yes, you are certainly not alone Helena. And I did indeed keep putting the peanut butter away and going back for it. I ate with a teaspoon so it was a case of "one teaspoon won't hurt...oh just one more...just one more" and so on!

I suppose it's this compulsive eating and inability to keep ourselves under control that made us fat in the first place. :-(

I didn't throw the chocolates away yesterday. Mind you, they are nearly finished now, then I will be safe, I shall have only the Slimfasts.

Today I am craving a huge binge. I feel like hiding on the sofa and just eating and eating and eating till I am stuffed. But that won't get me to where I want to be. I have to keep that in mind: the long game.

Oooh it's really hard not to give in.

I shall make cod and salad and see if that will satisfy me.

Today I am craving a huge binge. I feel like hiding on the sofa and just eating and eating and eating till I am stuffed. But that won't get me to where I want to be. I have to keep that in mind: the long game.

Unfortunately it's a very vicious never ending cycle, I'm sharing this feeling today, but if you binge you'll be angry at yourself, disappointing and fed up, which is likely to lead to another binge! Set a goal, know that at a certain point you can have a bit of what you fancy, when you get to a point or have an event. I've told myself if I can lose 7lbs before Halloween, I will allow myself a night off because it's my favorite holiday, at the moment it's the only thing stopping me from stuffing my face now!

Think long term, you realistically wont go the rest of your life without a little binge now and then,k but if you can put it off each time, you've made a positive step.
X

Think long term, you realistically wont go the rest of your life without a little binge now and then,k but if you can put it off each time, you've made a positive step.
X

Wise words. Thank you.

What I find is, if I am really busy, ESPECIALLY with something like house-painting, I forget all about food. I can literally go four or even six hours on a cup-a-soup when I am painting or gardening. The worst thing for me is sitting at the computer, working on a book or an article. Every time it gets difficult or boring, I find myself in the kitchen, looking in the fridge for nibbles.

You are totally not alone lovely. Not even slightly. We occasionally buy multipacks of choc (chomps fudges, crunchies or curly wurlies. Occasionally snickers) because obv they are cheaper and you do occasionally need the chocolate boost.

If they last the day out then it's amazing. Because of that - like you - we restrict it to basically the days when it's REALLY needed (ie - when we've had to go and visit twat and NEED that treat because of the abuse he's dolled out. Not that that is great and it's still comfort eating - but there's no way that a simply magazine or nail varnish etc will make up for what he does).

What about berries? Blueberries especially are basically half the calories that the weight is (ie - 50 cals for 100g etc). I know you have an issue with fruit though so it might be worth searching for something else that isn't fruit or choc but STILL is a little treat. Perhaps something savoury that you like - but cannot buy in huge multipacks unless it really is low in cals?

Hi Princess

I'm afraid that berries won't do: they don't keep, which means both that chances are when I need them I won't have any or they will have gone off; and that I'll end up feeling obliged to eat them when I don't want them, to save waste. I really do think that Slimfast Caramels are the way to go, because they really are a chocolately caramelly treat not a substitute, they keep for months so no urgency to eat them, and I can stockpile them.

I have about 25 in stock at present.

I feel a great responsibility to keep to 1400 today, to make up for the 2200 I ate yesterday. I went mad! Not only with chocolate but with having a late supper of baked potato and cold meat. I was crazy! I told myself that if I am peckish I must go up to bed, to avoid eating.

But still I am rewarded with a 1lb weight loss this morning.

I'm up to 400 at 11am, having had a cup a soup and pilchards on toast, and a pint of tea.

My plan is to have a big bowl of steamed sprouts with some Bisto gravy for my lunch. I find this dish very filling indeed for very few calories.

Dinner will be my home made soup, into which is diced one lean skinless boneless chicken breast.

And a Slimfast Caramel!

That should be about 1400. If I am short I will diced some baked potato (already cooked) into the soup.

xx

Last edited:
Well this is how it is going to pan out today ... 1400 calories, to make up for going over by 400 yesterday.

Morning
Ainsley Harriott - New England Style Vegetable Chowder Cup Soup, 1 sachet9716g3g1g0mg770mg2g3g
Glenryk Pilchards - 155g Can, 155 g1880g10g0g0mg1mg2g2g
Warburtons - Wholemeal Bread 400g (Small) Loaf, 2 Slice11619g1g5g0mg192mg2g3g
Afternoon
Oranges - Raw, all commercial varieties, 1 small (2-3/8" dia)4511g0g1g0mg0mg9g2g
Generic - Yellow Plum, 2 plum6016g0g0g0mg0mg14g2g
Heinz - Tomato Ketchup (Uk), 30 ml368g0g0g0mg78mg8g0g
Brussels sprouts - Raw, 400 g17236g1g14g0mg100mg9g15g
Bisto - Best Beef Gravy Granules, 30 g10121g1g1g0mg1,491mg2g0g
Asda - Royal Gala Apple, 1 medium apple439g0g0g0mg0mg9g1g
Last meal
Chicken Breast - Baked, Boneless, Skinless - Chicken Breast, 4 oz1400g4g25g65mg40mg1g0g
Asda - Simply Soups Vegetable Soup Mix, 150 g650g1g0g0mg0mg8g0g
Knorr - Leek & Chicken Soup, 0.25 container (900 mls ea.)707g4g1g0mg560mg1g0g
Drinks/treats
Tesco - British Whole Milk, 100 ml655g4g3g0mg40mg5g0g
Slimfast - Chocolate Caramel Treat, 2 bar19032g5g2g0mg0mg5g0g
TOTAL:1,388180g34g53g65mg3,272mg77g28g

Well folks, for my angelic perseverance in keeping to 1800 calories per day, which included a day of 1400 to repay the 400 I went over the day before, I have been rewarded with a one pound GAIN. So, I've gained 6lb in a week! Of course "calorie theory" dictates that I must be eating 3,500 calories OVER my TDEE every day.

Well, I am again at my wits' end. How can someone with a TDEE of 2800 NOT lose on 1800? I am logging every morsel religiously. I eat mainly foods that have their calorie count on the labelling. I am going hungry, denying myself constantly, turning down invitations constantly, and I like to see some small reward for this, not a blooming 6lb gain.

So because of this I am feeling very depressed today. I know I have no choice but to carry on denying, avoiding temptation, counting, until the weight loss decides to restart, but I am finding it very hard to stay motivated during these periods of gain or plateau.

It infuriates me to think that last week I was seeing 327 on the scale and now 333. And I only got THAT by stripping naked in my office ~ it was 336 before that. <sigh>

Big hug - try not to let it get to you. :hug99: Scales lie - there's no way what you've gained is fat. It's almost certainly temporary water weight.

Calorie theory is fundamentally flawed. Only in the very broadest of terms does calories have anything to do with calories out, i.e., over the longer term. It certainly doesn't work on a day to day basis. Too many variables. If you're a bit off colour you can retain water. And I know that I, as a larger lady, can retain far more water than my skinny friends. Like you, I can easily gain several pounds overnight. Chances are, if you stick to plan today most of it will be off again tomorrow - if not all of it.

Sorry for just jumping on to your thread without introduction - I was reading through your thread yesterday and thinking what a lovely lady you are. :)

Thank you for your kind words, Lily. And don't apologise for dropping by: I have very few visitors here now. Yes you are right, the bigger you are the more dramatic your losses ... and your gains. I guess I have been conditioned to want to see a reward based on the scale. Perhaps it is better to make a wall diary in which every day I stick to 1800 I get a gold star. Seeing a line of gold stars, perhaps one would not want to sully it with a big black cross ~ on the wall, staring at you and making you feel ashamed? Or maybe that is too juvenile for a lady of 56? I dunno .... I need "something" to keep me going day to day, and I thought that thing would be the scale....

Helena you can use whatever type of tool that motivates you. Mine is a smaller size top to fit into.

I would possibly be looking at hidden salt content in the soups you have been using causing the gains. Maybe try eating a little more protein.

I quite often plateau on the scales (for the last month have been struggling to see just 0.2-0.4lb off each week) but at the same time my neck and shoulder bones have started to appear in the mirror and my tops keep sliding off my shoulders. So obviously I can see weight is coming off but the old scales just won't accept it.

As long as you know you are sticking to your plan you just have to keep carrying on until the scales cave in. Do not let the scales have the power over you.

You can do this.

Helena you can use whatever type of tool that motivates you. Mine is a smaller size top to fit into.

I would possibly be looking at hidden salt content in the soups you have been using causing the gains. Maybe try eating a little more protein.

I quite often plateau on the scales (for the last month have been struggling to see just 0.2-0.4lb off each week) but at the same time my neck and shoulder bones have started to appear in the mirror and my tops keep sliding off my shoulders. So obviously I can see weight is coming off but the old scales just won't accept it.

As long as you know you are sticking to your plan you just have to keep carrying on until the scales cave in. Do not let the scales have the power over you.

You can do this.

Couldn't agree more with this!! I have a pair of jeans that I try and wiggle a little bit higher up my legs when the scales aren't moving and I've stuck to plan, remember it isn't all about weight loss, the fat around your organs will be lessening, you're moving more etc. I know how hard it is to not get fed up and angry when the scales wont budge but our bodies fluctuate everyday - I've gained 6lbs overnight before just because. Weigh in by all means, but please try not to let it get to you.

Your hard work is paying off, loss or no, your body is getting healthier, you are getting stronger and changes are happening inside, trust me.
XxX

Back