3lb too much

No but we dont have to be like that either. Enjoy your forum. I'll bow out for now. I have enough **** in my life without getting it online thanks

Still not sure what 'that' is but agreed enough has been said

In a real life situation it is extremely unlikely to maintain that sort of loss long term. I know from personal experience that you can have a bad week on the scales, be it having a naughty day, period weeks, or just fluke STS's, we're all human and we have to allow for real life :)

If you have a lot to lose, and you take the plan seriously, do it as its written... there's every chance you could take off a stone in the next 4-6 weeks! Just don't expect it to happen every month. The human body is not designed to lose significant weight on a long term basis... its clever enough to adjust to protect its emergency fat stores!

I like doing month to month targets so if I have a blip I just pick myself up for next week. Half a stone in a calendar month is usually what I go for (the top end of the ww recommended loss) so its not too much of an upward struggle.

I would say the only possibility to gain such losses while eating a GOOD diet, would be to be very very dedicated with exercise. The folks on the biggest loser are always doing good numbers... but it takes a serious amount of commitment as those folks are in the gym 8 hours a day.. think i'll pass on that one myself ;)

with regards this vlcd debate... It is definitely something that can be achieved, just takes a lot of work! A VLCD would be one of the harder diets to maintain from (in my personal opinion) but its gonna be hard whatever diet plan you follow. There's no magic formula to stop us from putting weight on again x

VLCD are ok for a quick fix but if you go back to normal eating you will put the weight back on. You cant keep to those diets in the long run. That's why diets like WW are better for the long term as they can be maintained for life.

leighforty said:
VLCD are ok for a quick fix but if you go back to normal eating you will put the weight back on. You cant keep to those diets in the long run. That's why diets like WW are better for the long term as they can be maintained for life.
VLCDs are not by any means a quick fix. They're every bit as effective as any food based one

It also applies to WW or any diet not just a VLCD that If you go back to old eating habits you'll put the weight back on. VLCDs can be done for months they're not really a quick fix. People lose huge amounts on them and keep it off very successfully. :). And look at how many people lose with ww/sw and then put it back on. Putting weight on again isn't down to the diet it's down to the dieter. I'm proof of that I lost a huge amount of weight in ww and it all went back on not ww fault - mine :(

Last edited:
I think the point people are making about VLCD...assume this is a lipotrim drinks based weightloss...is that you lose weight quickly as you deprive your body of fats and other vits and minerals. Which leads to very good losses weekly but can't be done for life and MOST people when they cone off them haven't learnt to eat within moderation and good foods. That's why I love ww you do learn better foods. Sw works for some but I couldn't handle it. I don't think it's good to focus mainly on 2 food groups but look at it as a whole. I
Think ww does that it's a bit like cal counting as you know the amount you should have and it allows you to make an informed decision.

Ive never seen a liquid diet work long term, I've seen my friend go from 16-8 but then put it back on :( they do work but you need to understand foods to go back on hard food!! That's my thoughts on it, though I think they do introducing back to foods now.

Good luck with the weightloss!! Just stay strong and you'll be there in no time. No matter how much you lode you'll still look fab on your hols :D

Tonic hope you can come back to the forum!! It'd be sad to lose your advice and opinions.

the actual reason you cant do VLCD for life is because you can cause your hormone levels and to drop so significantly and in turn cause muscle weakness u can actually give yourself heart failiure, hense the strict rules with and usual gp visits/pharmacy visits needed for following these diets , they're meant for people whos risk of being over weight outweigh the risks of the diet themselves.

i only know this from the lectures we have (med student), i've never actually done one... i like food too much lol

I know you can lose weight and SOME people can keep it off. No one has said it doesn't work. But long term it doesn't
Build an understanding of food, particular food groups and the best to maintain losses aka filling foods. They can work for some people long term, but i have an opinion on them that I have built up through personal experience! I believe out of all diets ww works best! There are
Many downsides and health problems associated with liquid type diets! That is all I am saying.

I think you are missing the point of this thread and that's to give advice and support. I think this thread has lost all meaning and maybe discouraging to many who read it. Minimims is about advice and support. Not to debate are own opinions on certain methods of weightloss. As was said earlier it's my opinion, it's cool if you don't agree but you can't change my opinion, it's my choice! I applaud those that can lose weight that way, but I'm
A nurse and have see the adverse reactions of such weight loss methods that I've never seen with ww or sw! But to those who can do it correctly and healthly I congratulate them any weight loss is a great achievement but we have all Chilean ww cause it fits in more with our lifestyle choices.

I think we can agree to disagree on the merits etc of a VLCD. No one diet fits all but the important thing is finding a safe sustainable diet which will get us to goal whatever one that is - and we seem to have done that

Best of luck with WW - believe it or not it's without question my favourite diet.

VLCDs aside ;). I'd never even consider another food based diet other than WW :)

Starlight said:
I think we can agree to disagree on the merits etc of a VLCD. No one diet fits all but the important thing is finding a safe sustainable diet which will get us to goal whatever one that is - and we seem to have done that

Best of luck with WW - believe it or not it's without question my favourite diet.

VLCDs aside ;). I'd never even consider another food based diet other than WW :)

Still getting used to iPhone reply to this forum so picked this to reply- no other reason!!

Was thinking when I read this whole thing what people who are in famine stricken countries would think about all of our diets!!! My husband has reminded me not to get to obsessed with point counting as life still goes on and whilst he is being very supportive with my journey, he won't stand behind any negative thoughts and feelings.

When we are working so hard to get the lbs off we can get upset over others' comments- share the love ladies and success to all! Xx

Back