46 syn binge - Emergency help required! :(

Pickle81

I'm holding myself accountable..

I've had a rubbish morning and, for a variety of reasons, am feeling really upset and depressed. Rather defiantly, I stormed to the kitchen and proceeded to eat several chocolate biscuit bars and a huge chunk of white bread and butter. Unsurprisingly, I now feel even more depressed.
That being said.. after my 5 minute madness (amazing how many syns one can eat in 5 minutes) I have come straight online, worked out the syn values (46 in all - ouch) and STOPPED.

My question is.. What now? Do I cut back on syns to try and 'make it up'? Do I beat myself to death? Do I actually give myself some credit for stopping and not allowing it to ruin the whole day/week/year?

Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I have an awful relationship with food (history of bulimia as well as B.E.D) and if I can really stop there, at that 46 syn blow-out, I will have achieved something huge. Help me stop there! Argh.. I'm waffling now.

Well done for realising what you were doing and stopping!!! Thats progress (as an ex ED girl I know how long binges can go on for).

Now just carry on, as if a GOOD day. Depending when you weigh in, you may be able to cut down few syns (ie 5 instead of 15) or just put a line under it and carry on. If you think in terms of weekly syns (you get between 35 - 105) then 46 isn't so bad.

We've all been there, but the fact that you realised what you were doing and came on here, is something you should be proud off.

Now put it behind you - don't let it define you or your week.

Breathe and forgive yourself - we all have blips so dont beat yourself up.

You cant change the past but you CAN change the future!! And I really do understand - I have had an eating disorder for years and its awlays lurking.

You can do it - move on and forget it - love Miss Pickles x

Yeah I came home after my STS WI on Tuesday and had 30 syns, and then had 20 on Wednesday... but if I pull back I can earn them back by Sunday... it's not a big deal. Well done for stopping, I know how hard it is. x

Pickle81 - you should give yourself LOTS of credit. Well done for stopping - I know how hard it is! If I were you, I would just draw a line and carry on as normal. If you try and cut back on your syns you might trigger another binge. Be kind to yourself - you can do it! :)

I did exactly the same yesterday. I decided to eat 4 tubes of smarties! :-S at 8.5 syns a tube i used 34 syns. Oooops.
Am making up for it with exercise, lots of water and cutting syns back for the rest of the week.
You can do it and be strong :)

Well done for stopping, ED never go away we are always left with a residue and that ability to lose control :(

Stopping and admiting it is fabulous and shows that you ARE in control.

So now forget about it and just carry on.
you can do this.

Don't beat yourself up anymore and most importantly forgive yourself xxx

A few weeks ago my consultant brought a bunch of 7 roses into class. 6 were lovely but 1 had a broken stem. She asked us if we'd throw away the whole bunch if 1 just 1 flower was broken and everyone said no! So please don't throw away your whole week because one day hasn't gone to plan, there are still 6 other days that count!

As others have said, massive well done on stopping and actually having the courage to work out the syns for what you've eaten - I don't know if I could do that!!

I can't relate to binge eating so what I would do in your situation is maybe not what would be best for you.

I would count the syns as part of my weekly allowance & not have any guilt whatsoever about what you have eaten. You're allowed up to 105 syns per week so use them.

For me it is all about how my mind thinks. Every Saturday night MiL comes round with wine & chocs, & by chocs I don't mean a mars bar each, I mean several bars of chocolate, so it's not unusual for me on a Saturday night to have as many as 60 syns. And I don't let it bother me I have less syns during the week & rarely go over 105.

What is important here is you have told yourself whilst binging, it's not going to help you feel any better, which IMO means you are changing your habbits & changing how you feel about yourself, maybe getting a little more confident?

You should be proud of yourself for what you have achieved this morning, not beating yourself up.

I'm sure in time, these bouts of binging will get less & less.

Well done:553:

I cant add too much more as a lot have given really good advice - the only thing I can add is that I didn't have the best of weekends last week. I home baked some bread for my other half on Sunday - then ate most of it myself on Sunday night. I haven't calaualed it, but with the butter and huge slabs of crust bread I ate it wouldn't surprise me to be around 40 syns

Very cross with myself, I put it behind me and decided that the 5 days ahead of me I would cram as many superspeed foods as I possibly could (I had lots of raspberries, strawberries and melon) and try to keep a little lower than my normal 15 syns a day. I have weighed in this morning to find a 2lb loss. I actually quite enjoyed experimenting with the superfree foods as I had never tried smoked Cod before and found it very nice.

It can be pulled back! x x

We all fall off the wagon every now and again do not beat yorself up about it. What i try and do if the munchies hit is try and go for a jog or a nice long walk the day after (1 hour walk burns the same amount of calories as a 30 min jog) it heps me level it back off in my head.

Can't add much to what's already been said, I have around 70 syns on the average Saturday, every week, as long as you're on plan the rest of the week it shouldn't be a problem, good luck x :)

Jaq said:
A few weeks ago my consultant brought a bunch of 7 roses into class. 6 were lovely but 1 had a broken stem. She asked us if we'd throw away the whole bunch if 1 just 1 flower was broken and everyone said no! So please don't throw away your whole week because one day hasn't gone to plan, there are still 6 other days that count!

As others have said, massive well done on stopping and actually having the courage to work out the syns for what you've eaten - I don't know if I could do that!!

The rose story is so true, why destroy a whole week or a whole day. I say well done for stopping and checking. Be very proud that you did that and say to yourself that's a massive achievement and move on!

Thank you all so very much for replying. I absolutely love this forum!
I worked out my weekly syns and can still have 7 a day until I weigh in on tuesday (i rarely have more than 6) and will up my superfree accordingly. I actually think this has been a really positive experience because it's the first time i havent had the 'oh well, now ive blown it i might as well carry on' knee-jerk reaction.
I feel in control. And pretty damn good about it.
Bless you all xxxxx

My c says its not advisable to eat all your syns in one day and then have none for the rest of the week, as it can be harder and may lead to more binges. Just go on as you are, maybe REDUCE your syns but don't get rid of them altogether. Maybe get a bit more exercise in. If you gain you gain.... its really not a big deal and one SINGLE week in a whole lifetime. x

Back