5% rule???

Where did you hear the Vicklee - googled and couldn't find anything about it. Usually when drugs are removed from market it's imediate rather than to be removed at a later date. Unless it's NHS cost cutting and it will be removed from prescription.

im a nurse and i was talking to a doctor at work and he said it'll be taken off the market and the only way yourll get it is pravatly and not on the nhs. but im going to my doc 2 mrow so i'll ask x

SOounds like it's cost cutting then, will probably be down to a lottery of where you live whether your health trust will prescribe it or not.

When I was first prescribed Xenical ( in 2008), you registered with Roche, the makers of Xenical, and you had telephone support from nursing staff employed by them. They were the ones that told me about the 5% rule and the no more than 15g of fat per meal. This is a service that they no longer provide, which is a damn shame as it was good, plus they used to send you freebies too ( I got a pedometer, calorie counter book, recipes etc)

I wondered where the rule came from. The doctors are pretty useless about giving you information on how to take them. It's a shame they don't offer that service anymore, or at least put some more information in the leaflet that comes with the tablets. I wouldn't have known anything without this website! I hope they don't stop prescribing them, they help keep me on the straight and narrow.

ditto x x x

I've never had side effects because I've always stuck to the diet 100% while on these tablets. I don't see how having a sprinkle of low fat cheese is cheating or being naughty when the whole meal is still under 5% fat. Also I don't know where this 5% rule came from. It doesn't say anything about it in the leaflet and it doesn't say anything about it on the mapassist website. It also recommends foods that are higher than 5% fat on that website, so I'm just wondering where it came from?

The rule also stems from what the tablets will get rid of. You should only eat a max of 15g fat per meal and a max for 45g per day. If you have something that is higher in fat, then that'll push your total fat in your meal higher. So i think the main idea is that if you eat the low fat stuffs then its harder to go over the 15g per meal rule.
I'm not saying to not eat the cheese, its your body and your diet. I just wanted to point out that it can take upto 72hrs to have the effects.
I prefer (and the way it works for me) is to not have anything that is out of the 5g/100g rule. I have lost 37lb doing this and it works for me. I have to re-train my brain into making better choices and i dont want to start to sneak things in like that. I still do have cheese in the ready-made meals, but i know if i have a block of it in the house then i'll eat it! lol. Everybody copes with their eating differently. Whilst i have these boundaries, I'm coping well. I think if i start to think certain foods would be OK, then i'd start slipping and possibly start skipping pills. But thats me and my own demons to control.

hello
I have been on this diet for over 14 months now.. not so strict lately but very strict for the first year.
I have gone from 22 stone to 14 stone.
I have NEVER once checked food for this 5% fat rule.. whatever i have eaten i just make sure the entire meal is around 16,17 grams of fat in total.
and on a side note i have oven chips about 4 times a week this last year and still lost all this weight.. and i eat good portions too... i need to or i`ll just be hungry.

also this last half a year i let myself go a weekend or 2 every month and eat what i like, usually indian or chinese or both :) tubs of full fat ice cream etc hehehe

I can't have anything from the Chinese as it kills me, and I'm not talking about fat content, but the other cr@p like MSG they put in it. I prefer to make my own, least that way I know exactly what I'm having.

hello
I have been on this diet for over 14 months now.. not so strict lately but very strict for the first year.
I have gone from 22 stone to 14 stone.
I have NEVER once checked food for this 5% fat rule.. whatever i have eaten i just make sure the entire meal is around 16,17 grams of fat in total.
and on a side note i have oven chips about 4 times a week this last year and still lost all this weight.. and i eat good portions too... i need to or i`ll just be hungry.

Well done on your loss so far, really good!!!

Eating over my allowence has not caused any accidents but has made me gain!

Back