5% rule???

i love diamonds

I've been thinking about the 5% rule and I don't understand how we can't have certain foods over 5% fat but we can have the same foods in a ready meal. Like if you read the ingredients on ready meals it says stuff that we wouldn't eat ourselves. Like butter, veg oil, cheese etc. I had a ww pizza that had feta on it and feta is over 5% fat but the whole pizza wasn't and I didn't get any side affects. Also I've had ben and jerrys frozen yogurt and been fine but it's had pieces of chocolate in and I know there is no chocolate in the rules.

Do you think it's the whole of the meal that has to be under 5% fat and we can have single ingredients within the meal that might be higher than 5% fat but as long as the whole meal is under 5% fat we'll be ok? I think that eating the ingredient by itself would cause side affects but if eaten as part of something with lower fat things it would be ok?

I don't know if this is making sense! I know I've had bits of margarine and I've been fine but I've just used a tiny bit on toast or a bagel so the whole thing combined would still be under 5% fat, if you see what I mean?

I see what you mean on the majority of your post. I personally wouldn't have the marg on the bagel etc, especially if its warm. But i get the rest of your post. i have asked this in the past but i dont think i worded it as well as you have. Perhaps it might be worth asking xenical direct (then let us know the answer! lol)

I too wobder... but I would rather be safe than sorry if you get what I mean

I know what you mean! but If the item is 5g of fat or under, I would have it! (if the calories are low too as I count cals ;))

I do sometimes add a tiny bit of cheese to lowfat meals. I go by the principle the whole meal needs to be under 5% so adding a small amount of something with a higher fat content to a large amount of something with a low fat value should be fine.

I do sometimes add a tiny bit of cheese to lowfat meals. I go by the principle the whole meal needs to be under 5% so adding a small amount of something with a higher fat content to a large amount of something with a low fat value should be fine.

That's what I'm starting to think downsizeme. Yesterday I had homemade turkey burgers and I thought the turkey mince would be under 5% fat but after I had eaten I checked the label and it was over 6% fat but I didn't have any side effects. I would love to have a bit of low fat cheddar with some of my meals. I love it on cottage pie. I might try it at the weekend.

I think that it is probably 5% of the meal. But I want to think tht it's 5% of each thing as it makes it a lot simpler and stops me from eating the wrong things that might push the tabs to the limit.

great help i think i got it x

I've tried low fat cheese this weekend with no side affects so I think it is 5% of the meal. xx

I agree with Kes here..i dont eat anything over 5% no matter what it is...ive not ate cheese for months for example, and cheese was a huge part of my diet seeing as i dont include meat and fish.

its not just because of the side effects but for giving myself the best chances of loosing weight,so i stick to the rules as if i were to break them it wouldnt be good for my mind set.

i do get what you mean though... good luck in asking xenical direct, they know nothing of the rules lol :D

And dont forget, the people who have tried things like cheese thos weekend, you have upto 72hrs before you see any side effects! I personally have effects after 24hrs, but some people take longer.
I personally wont eat anything not in the rules. The side effects aren't nice and it defeats the reason that i went on these tablets. I kept sabotaging my diets and cheating, but with these tablets it keeps me on the straight and narrow. So i'm not going to start introducing 'naughty' foods into my diet. I'm hoping to re-train my brain into eating what it right for low fat.

And dont forget, the people who have tried things like cheese thos weekend, you have upto 72hrs before you see any side effects! I personally have effects after 24hrs, but some people take longer.
I personally wont eat anything not in the rules. The side effects aren't nice and it defeats the reason that i went on these tablets. I kept sabotaging my diets and cheating, but with these tablets it keeps me on the straight and narrow. So i'm not going to start introducing 'naughty' foods into my diet. I'm hoping to re-train my brain into eating what it right for low fat.

I've never had side effects because I've always stuck to the diet 100% while on these tablets. I don't see how having a sprinkle of low fat cheese is cheating or being naughty when the whole meal is still under 5% fat. Also I don't know where this 5% rule came from. It doesn't say anything about it in the leaflet and it doesn't say anything about it on the mapassist website. It also recommends foods that are higher than 5% fat on that website, so I'm just wondering where it came from?

5% is a general low fat diet rule ,Rosemary Connely etc.

I think it's important to change habits while taking Xenical for life and eating a bit of low fat cheese in a low fat meal is fine. It's about learning to moderate food intake. (all this is comming form the woman who ate a pack of walkers crisps yesterday and for the first time had a bit of oil!)

I use these tablets as a deterrant, my pre Xenical diet was fine while at home but am a self emplyed van driver and as you can imagine eating on the run all the time = junk food, KFC was my poison, i must admit these tablets are giving me the room to think about wjhat i eat and keep me on the straight and narrow. I personally believe that if a bit of low fat cheese has no effects and cheers up a sad meal then i am all for it. I was told by the nurse when i went for my first WI that porridge was fine to eat, even though its 8.3 per 100g, she said i should eat it for my breakfast, makes you wonder what else they are bending the truth about but then again its whatever suits each individual, make it work for you x

I use these tablets as a deterrant, my pre Xenical diet was fine while at home but am a self emplyed van driver and as you can imagine eating on the run all the time = junk food, KFC was my poison, i must admit these tablets are giving me the room to think about wjhat i eat and keep me on the straight and narrow. I personally believe that if a bit of low fat cheese has no effects and cheers up a sad meal then i am all for it. I was told by the nurse when i went for my first WI that porridge was fine to eat, even though its 8.3 per 100g, she said i should eat it for my breakfast, makes you wonder what else they are bending the truth about but then again its whatever suits each individual, make it work for you x

I stay within the rules, no matter what. i dont want side effects and i want to give myself the best chance of loosing weight.

i love porridge,lived off the stuff for years lol i found a porridge that fitted within the rules thankfully otherwise i wouldnt gone without it.
:D:D

I've never had side effects because I've always stuck to the diet 100% while on these tablets. I don't see how having a sprinkle of low fat cheese is cheating or being naughty when the whole meal is still under 5% fat. Also I don't know where this 5% rule came from. It doesn't say anything about it in the leaflet and it doesn't say anything about it on the mapassist website. It also recommends foods that are higher than 5% fat on that website, so I'm just wondering where it came from?

Im unsure of the origin of the rules. its unknown to my doctor and map etc. i know a few people taking xenical who know nothing of the side effects, my aunt being one. she doesnt follow any rules, she just eats less fatty food, but consumes a lot of food which she thinks is good...go ahead bars for example, a complete con...she is loosing weight, but no quicker or faster than any other way.. maybe if she was following rules, then her losses would be different :confused::confused:

When I was first prescribed Xenical ( in 2008), you registered with Roche, the makers of Xenical, and you had telephone support from nursing staff employed by them. They were the ones that told me about the 5% rule and the no more than 15g of fat per meal. This is a service that they no longer provide, which is a damn shame as it was good, plus they used to send you freebies too ( I got a pedometer, calorie counter book, recipes etc)

When I was first prescribed Xenical ( in 2008), you registered with Roche, the makers of Xenical, and you had telephone support from nursing staff employed by them. They were the ones that told me about the 5% rule and the no more than 15g of fat per meal. This is a service that they no longer provide, which is a damn shame as it was good, plus they used to send you freebies too ( I got a pedometer, calorie counter book, recipes etc)

the internet took over and now its useless really.when my doc gave me xenical she told me i would get help from nurses via the telephone, she was a bit taken back when i told her it didnt exist anymore :eek:

i heard that next year xenical will be taken off the market!!!! ;-(

Back