7st to go before the summer!! Is it possible???

xcherylx

Hi everyone!

I definately want to lose 7st as soon as possible!! I have put on so much weight in the last year, 4 st to be exact, and I never was happy then and I am even more unhappy now I am 4 st heavier!!

I have no confidence and find it hard to stay motivated and was wondering if anyone can give me a realistic idea of how quickly I can lose this weight and great ways that can help whether it be amounts of exercise or foods to eat or not to eat would be a great help :) xxx

If you want to lose weight quickly the first thing you must do is get exercising - 1 hour at least 5 times a week.
Then you will have to completely overhaul your diet, certainly if you have gained 4st in 1 year!

I am cutting out refined sugars, carbohydrates & foods with a lot of saturated fat in them & trying to eat plenty of fruit & veg.

A sample day menu is this:

B: fruit smoothie made with banana, orange, strawberries, yogurt & ice
L: soup & crusy roll
S: apple & natural peanut butter
D: brown rice, green beans & pork mince chilli (with zero added fats)

Find out what a portion of everything looks like & don't add extra fats when cooking. Trim visible fats from meats before cooking.

It's hit & miss & everyone is different so try & just find out what works best for you!

Just remember that the exercise is so very important!

The only way youre realistically going to lose that amount of weight for summer is by doing a VLCD

I think you would really struggle to lose that much in 6 months, and the BMI youre aiming for is really low, by that point youre weight loss would have slowed right up. Maybe 3 stone is a much more realistic aim. Don't set yourself up for failure before you've begun. Keep realsitic goals.
You say you find it hard to get motivated, but losing weight really is all in the head, you've GOT to find your motivation right at the start and you also want to be able to keep your loss off, so best to look for a plan you can stay at after youve lost the weight you want to lose.

Good Luck - a good starting point is to stick to 1500 cals a day and exercise and see how you do in your first few weeks. xx

I agree with the other posters that that is a very ambitious goal! You probably feel like you need to have a big goal to keep motivated, but if it starts to look like you won't reach that goal by the time you had wanted to, how will that affect your motivation then? Perhaps a less ambitious goal might serve you better in the long run? :)

I personally find it much better to not have goals that are tied to a particular time at all. So I will first have a goal of losing 10lbs, but no timeline for it because my body does not work like a machine no matter what I do to lose weight - I've found that for me not being able to reach the goal I set for myself is very unmotivating and makes it harder to keep up with it! Then I'll go for another 10lbs, or fitting into some old pants or something. In addition I focus on how I feel, rather that what the scales say, and that helps me as well.

Just something to think about, I know we're all different and what works for me may not work for you. Good luck with finding out the right way for you! :)

I lost over 6 st between May and November last year, by following low carb low fat diet. I didnt eat loads of food though, my calorie intake was pretty low at less than 800 cals a day. So its not something I would say is an exactly healthy way to do it, but I took multivit and cod liver oil every day, and it worked for me. But I must add that I was being monitored by my Dr every 3 months as there were other factors involved such as my type 2 diabetes. I am the laziest person in the world and didnt really do any exercise apart from swimming when i felt like it.

There are risks to losing weight rapidly, and you need to be aware of that. Muscle loss is a big issue, bear in mind that your heart is muscle, and you can do damage to it with a severely restricted diet, so its important to keep protein consumption high.

I do understand your desire to lose weight rapidly, and if you really want to do it, then thats your choice and it is entirely possible. But just be aware of the risks.

Hi there!
I agree with the others that whilst 7 stone may be do-able if you did an extreme VLCD, this would not be the most healthy way of doing it- and you might set yourself up for disappointment by making it so hard for yourself. I'm sure you'd rather lose 7st and be bursting with energy rather than losing it and feeling miserable and lethargic cos you haven't eaten for 6 months? I always think if you aim for -2lb a week then anything more is a bonus.

Whatever you decide to aim for I hope you suceed!

Good luck with it! x

Thanks everyone, this has really helped. I would love to lose 7 st altogether but my real aim is 4 st by the summer but I havent really set myself a date as such. If i dont lose it then it wouldnt be an incredible disapointment, its just a target for me to keep me motivated. but in regard to a VL...etc what is it exactly. I have never heard of it before x

Vlcd is very low calorie diet. It is when you eat less than 800 calories per day (i think!) & it relies on your body going into ketosis to burn fat and keep you from feeling starved.

They aren't the easiest way to lose weight at all but some can lose an average of 14lbs per month.

I would just like to say that i lost 7 stone in 11 months on SW - that's an average of 10lbs a month eating a darn sight more than 800 calories a day :D

Good luck with whichever plan you choose!

it is possible to loose all that weight in a few months, but huge sacrifices will have to be made. you would need to go on some sort of cutting diet with heavy exercise.

but its probably not worth it to go through all of that in such short space of time, most people end up loosing motivation because of the commitment required. I believe weight loss should be fitted around your life as much as possible, otherwise there is more chance of not sticking to it.

my weight loss is a flexible one, I've taken one or two ideas from slimming world, but I will not give up on few of my favourite things such as coca cola, and fast food, I am controlling it though, along with muscle building and training to improve my metabolism.

but if you really want to loose that weight very quickly, you need to do rigorous training everyday, something a professional boxer might do. But you probably wont enjoy that so I'd say take it a little easy, check out out some of the clubs (people say slimming world is excellent and doesn't even feel like dieting) and make steady progress.

Hi, I'd like 5 stone off for summer but think that's a lot, so I've decided to do it by aiming to try and lose 7lb every 3 weeks then hopefully I will be at my goal for my summer hol and it doesn't feel like I've got 5 stone to get off cause I'm aiming for for the 7lbs.xx

Hi there!
I agree with the others that whilst 7 stone may be do-able if you did an extreme VLCD, this would not be the most healthy way of doing it- and you might set yourself up for disappointment by making it so hard for yourself. I'm sure you'd rather lose 7st and be bursting with energy rather than losing it and feeling miserable and lethargic cos you haven't eaten for 6 months? I always think if you aim for -2lb a week then anything more is a bonus.

Whatever you decide to aim for I hope you suceed!

Good luck with it! x

Sorry Suze I have to contradict you. If youre on a proper VLCD like CD or Exante you have loads of energy, dont feel miserable and lethargic in the slightest. And its not an extreme VLCD its just a regular VLCD that will get you a stone or so a month

From the NICE guideline on the obesity

Different types of diet
  • For sustainable weight loss, recommend diets that have a 600 kcal/day deficit (that is, they contain 600 kcal less than the person needs to stay the same weight) or that reduce calories by lowering the fat content (low-fat diets), in combination with expert support and intensive follow-up
  • Low-calorie diets (1000–1600 kcal/day) may also be considered, but are less likely to be nutritionally complete.
  • Very-low-calorie diets (less than 1000 kcal/day) may be used for a maximum of 12 weeks continuously, or intermittently with a low-calorie diet (for example for 2–4 days a week), if the person is obese and has reached a plateau in weight loss.
  • Any diet of less than 600kcal/day should be used only under clinical supervision.

Starlight, what do you think about the line about using the vlcd intermittently with a lcd (2-4days a week). I don't think I've seen anyone on here try it, but I would have thought it would lead to going into and out of ketosis?

Cheryl, maybe aiming for your 4 stone in the back of the head is more doable. But like someone else said, break it down into smaller goals. Maybe join one of the challenges on here to keep you motivated...you know, the monthly ones? And set yourself goals to exercise, let's say, 4 hours a week, and if you manage it 2 or 3 weeks in a row, reward yourself with something non-food related? I find little goals and challenges are helping me.

V

i dont think 600 calories per day is good at all.

human beings need a certain amount of nutrition in their diet to function properly. Most people measure weight loss by the number they see on the scales, that is normally ok, but for some individuals they are loosing the wrong kind of weight from different areas of their body, and this is bad.

i dont think 600 calories per day is good at all.

human beings need a certain amount of nutrition in their diet to function properly. Most people measure weight loss by the number they see on the scales, that is normally ok, but for some individuals they are loosing the wrong kind of weight from different areas of their body, and this is bad.

I have to completely disagree. The risks of being obese or morbidly obese far outweigh the very minimal risks of a vlcd. And those risks VLCDs have are usually the same as being on other diets where weight loss is involved. The VLCDs are nutritionally balanced to gives at least 100% of the recommended amounts of all vitamins and minerals, and the diet is to be done with plenty of water to keep hydrated. It is a medically sound diet and is indeed used by the medical profession. It is also one of the few diets that is muscle sparing, most other diets you do lose a certain amount of muscle being in calorie deficit.

I have 7 st to go now and I'm giving myself until the end of the year even though my losses have been pretty reliable and about 3lbs a week. I think your setting yourself up for failure to expect that. However 4st though difficult is much more realistic!
Whatever you decide I would suggest keeping a food and exercise diary so you can see where you are going wrong if you have a poor loss.

I have to completely disagree. The risks of being obese or morbidly obese far outweigh the very minimal risks of a vlcd. And those risks VLCDs have are usually the same as being on other diets where weight loss is involved. The VLCDs are nutritionally balanced to gives at least 100% of the recommended amounts of all vitamins and minerals, and the diet is to be done with plenty of water to keep hydrated. It is a medically sound diet and is indeed used by the medical profession. It is also one of the few diets that is muscle sparing, most other diets you do lose a certain amount of muscle being in calorie deficit.

oh right...i didnt know that...sounds good then, if it is meeting all the nutrition requirements and also taking muscle mass into consideration, looks very good.

i might have a look a little bit later.

i had a thought in my mind of someone eating a few calories is not eating healthy things.

Back