A balanced diet? Help!

large_lump

Hi all. I've been on and off this site doing one diet or another and now I'm back doing cc again! I've lost 7lb over the past 2 weeks or so and I'm feeling very motivated! But..

I'm using mfp and I'm noticing that I'm low on vitamin a, c, iron and calcium for most of the last couple of weeks. I always said I would only worry about the calories until I've lost a chunk of weight but actually, these things are quite important!

I was wondering how people get more of these into them without going over their cals? Mainly calcium really as I find that the most calorific or maybe it's the things I normally team them with?!

Anyway hello! Hope to get to know you all over the coming months :) x

Vitamin A, is easy - carrots! I find if I have carrot sticks I actually tend to go over my RDA, and that's only one carrot. Sweet potato is really high in it too.
Vitamin C - Kiwi fruit, oranges.. basically fruit and vegetables.
Try and get 5 different ones a day and it should contribute to all your vitamins etc.

I don't tend to get enough calcium either >.< but fat free/low fat yogurt for breakfast and occasional half-fat cheese, if you like milk, that's good for you though >.< But you have to make an allowance for it in your calorie budget.

Iron comes from green vegetables, such as broccoli and peas. :) (as well as red meat, but that tends to send me over my calorie limit!)

Good luck :)

Thank you! I had some half fat cheese with my dinner last night but was still well off my rda! Think I'm just too scared to have a glass of milk cos it doesn't really fill me up much.. I see it as a waste of calories! I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and see how I get on.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated :) x

Yeah go for your 5 a day and fat free yogurt, laughing cow extra lights as well x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I am the same, plus I reallly like cheese, so once I start I can't stop.. >.<
I had a yogurt for breakfast and cheese pitta yesterday and I was still only 55% of my RDA :/ I think it's impossible to line up a diet with calcium intake. I figure it's only for a while.. >.<
But the vitamin A and C are fairly simple, the other day I had 600% of my rda of vit C o.o;;

It's difficult to get everything within the calorie allowance. How about using multivitamin pills? I keep meaning to take them but I usually forget...:eek:

Last edited:
I started taking multivitamins after seeing how low the mfp figures where. Dont really have the time / knowledge, to up them via food, and it just happened to coincide with H&B penny sale.

I didn't even think of multi vitamins! I'll def go and buy some.. It's quite scary seeing what it can do to you if you constantly under eat these things so think it will be well worth it. Also good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this! X

Back