A bit of advice from someone who screwed up...

You're doing better than you think

Hello AJ

Long time no speak but a little bird told me you had posted so I wanted to reply. When I was in the middle of Foundation and beyond, your posts kept me going because you were always at the next stage/phase and could give us insight into what lay ahead.

If it's any 'consolation' - I'm not sure it's the right word - I think you are doing better than you think. I still go to my Management group, even though I was officially 'done' with LighterLife by the end of 2007. I have come to realise that going to (my) class - where there is absolutely no pressure to buy any more products (just in case people reading this may wonder) has helped. It hasn't stopped me putting on the pounds - absolutely not - but it has stopped me beating myself up for 'failing' because I haven't stayed at my lowest weight. I regularly see people who are 6, 12, 18 months and beyond finishing Route to Management. And it's still a struggle - some of the time but not all of the time.

Ironically, friends and family have since said that they were very worried about me at the end of LighterLife because I was looking scrawny and old and...ill!! Go figure! So, although I would love to be super slinky, it's just not sustainable in the long term. Well, not for me anyway because I am not prepared to do what it takes and not in a position to do what maintaining such a low weight entails. I am sharing this because I think LighterLife takes you to a low weight and then it's up to you to find out what works for you. In the longer term and maybe where you're at now, is to find out what IS going to work for you. In the longer term. So many of my group - me included - have debated about going back on the packs. But our Counsellor always asks us to look at why we think that 'just doing abstinence' for a while will solve the challenges that lie at the core of our issues with food.

The main point of my post, however, was to quote my ever-inspiring LighterLife Counsellor who constantly reminds us that if we can hold our weight for five years, we've got a good chance of getting it cracked for good. Anything less and it's probably not going to stay off (the weight, that is). Somewhere on my blog, I've got a more accurate quote. So it's going to take time. She also quotes the Cycle of Change (I'll see if I can find more info' on it) - we keep learning. Each relapse is just another opportunity to learn.

So, when we struggle (which 90% of my group do, each week), she reminds us that we are still at the early stages and that we are doing well. And, usually, there is someone in our group who is doing well and that seems to give us all a new impetus.

Losing weight does not mean happy ever after; I learnt that the hard way. For so much of my adult life, I put so many things on hold - because I was too fat and then when I lost the weight, guess what? Some of the problems didn't go away and that was hard. I think it's fantastic that you are seeing someone to talk through the other private matters that came up during your LL journey.

It was great to hear from Chunky Chicken and KD (Karion Dieting) - hello, you two - and they are right. And hello to the lovely Katie, who is doing so well, second time round.

Maintenance is the REAL challenge. I am beginning to realise that we each have our own personal triggers and it's up to us to find out what works. For me tiredness is a massive trigger to overeat, as is feeling overwhelmed (with work, housework, and even putting on the pounds after all that effort last year!) and, if I really think about it there are a million other triggers! And they can change, just like the weather (oh, and that's definitely a trigger)!

AJ - you are certainly NOT alone and the fact that you came back and posted is such a positive step. I hope you are not giving yourself a hard time for not staying the same weight; letting go of perfectionism is another big issue for many of us, particularly me.

I send you much love and to everyone else on the journey of finding peace with food. When the diet is over, the real work begins, particularly with our minds.

Mrs Lard xxxxxxxxxxx

OOOh, and now Mrs Lard is here! How exciting. Like having the family home :cool:

I miss you guys. I know that both Mrs Lard and AJ really get me thinking. Both of you have really helped me with maintenance.

ever-inspiring LighterLife Counsellor who constantly reminds us that if we can hold our weight for five years, we've got a good chance of getting it cracked for good.
I've heard this. I certainly don't have it cracked yet. Really hoping that on the 5th anniversary I'll wake up and I'll be all cured :D
So, when we struggle (which 90% of my group do, each week), she reminds us that we are still at the early stages and that we are doing well. And, usually, there is someone in our group who is doing well and that seems to give us all a new impetus.
That's fab you know. Sometimes I feel such a failure. Not for putting on weight (cos I haven't), but just feel that I'm making such a big deal of trying to find the answers for me.:eek: I always imagine that people are thinking that I'm a hopeless cause:eek: Yeah...probably my paranoia.:rolleyes:

But anyway. It's so good to hear that it's normal to still find it difficult even when you feel like you've been doing it for an age.

Sorry....just had to add all that. Thankyou Mrs L
Embarrassed1.gif

Hello Mrs L - tis always a very pleasant surprise to see you've posted ........ you should be doing it more often (HINT, HINT)

xx

Oh Mrs L,

I've actually got tears in my eyes reading your post. When I can find the disc that goes with the printer I'll be able to print it out from my laptop! Alternatively, I suppose I could 'borrow' my daughters' laptop and access Minis from there...

I found myself nodding vigourously several times when reading through your words of wisdom. My son and his friends (who'd stayed over and taken over the lounge for the night - you can imagine the pungent aroma this morning) wondered what was wrong. "Is she having a fit?" "Why's she sniffling?"

I have to pop out just now (to get away from the pong), but I'll post later.

Thanks a million hun,

AJ

Back