a few little tips to make meals for work easier

cat yoyo greaves

Gold Member
well i work shifts and hefty 12 hr 20 min shifts at that 3 of them and i eat at work for pretty much all my meals on those days

its hard to decide what to make but i have a few coping strategies

plan plan plan

i bulk cook and freeze meals which is a godsend sometimes i dont always fancy those meals but when im hungry and they are in front of me and i have no money to buy food(by choice) it becomes pretty appetising and it was tasty when i made it so i just think stop thinking start eating im hungry:sigh: i pretty much just eat leftovers or meals made from leftovers at work (IM NOT WASTING IT):)

ok so another of my fave things to do is i have a mini fruit bowl waaaaay more than i actually will eat in a day but at least its there and superfree when i need a snack

if im cooking pasta rice or potatoes i always cook extra and keep in the fridge its great to make a quick salad with added carbs to keep me going (well i am doing long shifts i deserve a wholesome salad ) actually i always deserve a fab salad why you may ask :eek::eek::eek: BECAUSE I CAN ON SLIMMING WORLD and im not on a starvation diet its all about balance

BREAKFASTS
well i cant eat first thing so i take my food with me
my fave breakfast is hard boiled eggs ham and a tomato or two. its filling the eggs can be boiled in advance enough for a few days and i always have tomatoes in or i will have a piece of fruit then my ham and eggs if i dont fancy tomato

i always take fat free natural yog and stir in some granulated sweetener this is my new fave at the moment and so tasty since onken RUINED the fat free vanilla with SUGAR:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

bagged salad is always handy i love the herby one such a lovely taste

good tupperware is essential if you are eating alot of meals at work i have some pretty boxes that i love and am always happy to see at mealtimes we eat with our eyes so make sure its presented well.

VENDING MACHINES- evil evil machines that force me to buy chocolate crisps and other CRAP:( I HAVE LITTLE WILLPOWER SO I JUST DONT TAKE MY PURSE ANYMORE it works for me (i have still gone and looked though) :eek:

well thats what tips i have so far feel free to share yours .... im off to cook a batch of pasta just for the fridge (just in case)we eat alot of pasta why not its versatile and cheap tasty and im losing weight eating it :)

This is really helpful thanks :)

I agree that planning is always a good idea. If I dont have anything ready or organised then I tend to find myself going off plan.

As I write this I am cooking up some pasta to make a tuna pasta salad for the next couple of days lunches :)

When i'm stuck and need to do something quick, pasta, BBQ or ordinary baked beans and chicken or quorn sausage go well together!!

It was actually when I was doing 12.5 hr shifts I started to put loads of weight on, it's really really difficult to eat normally. I had a very physically demanding job and was constantly on the go but the late takeaways on the way home soon took their toll, hopefully your tips can help some people. :)

I always have pasta cooked in the fridge great for quick lunches and for hungry toddlers too some great tips there thanks :0)

nat

Nuttynat2012 said:
I always have pasta cooked in the fridge great for quick lunches and for hungry toddlers too some great tips there thanks :0)

nat

Does the pasta not stick together? I find if I make pasta, drain it then leave it sitting it All sticks together and I need pour water from kettle over it...any tips?

debtin said:
Does the pasta not stick together? I find if I make pasta, drain it then leave it sitting it All sticks together and I need pour water from kettle over it...any tips?

Yea I find ths too so I always make pasta fresh it goes really dry

I put it in a air tight container stick in microwave and shake with lid on mines never stuck together I use fusilli

Nat

Great ideas, keeping this thread subscirbed to! I need breakfasts to go and lunch time fillers. I have started doing the purse trick too! there is an evil van man that comes round to our offices with hot paninis, now I cant do that OR go to Costa on the way to work. Lets see how much money I save as well :)

Back