A month in and need advice to make it sustainable in long run - any ideas? (LONG)

noname314

It's nearly 4 weeks since I joined MiniMins and fitnesspal, ditched all the sugar and decided to lose some weight and get healthy. I don't have that much to lose, or so I kept telling myself over the last few years ;), it was never too much to make me feel "less pretty" or concious of it IYKWIM, of course I wanted to loose the extra pounds but it never bothered me enough to give up my junk food (and I used to eat A LOT of it!) However pound by pound, three children and 8 years later, I've gone from 67kgs to 84!!

Last few weeks have been hard, I don't really miss the sweet stuff, which was a huge revelation for me, I thought I'm a hopeless chocoholic:D I don't remember the last time I've had chocolate, and I don't miss it. But I still crave other carbs - bread, pasta, pitta bread, any pastry, I'd kill for one of these now! I'm managing somewhat ok, some days are better than others, had few small blips but went back on track ;) I thought it takes 21 days to form a habit and by now should have broken some of the addiction, or am I wrong?? I still have white bread, etc but in moderation, and trying to switch to wholemeal lately as much as possible (did I say I MISS the white stuff???:eek:)

I also find it almost impossible to stick to excercise, I find it hard to get the time during the day with the baby crawling around and then homework and activities in the afternoon, and come the evening when everybody is in bed I just feel like crashing down myself! Anybody in the same boat and how do you get around to do it? I really don't like excercising but I'm starting to see the benefits of being fit and having a toned body:eek: Especially if I am to loose all I ideally want to (2st?), everything will be sagging

My last, and most important, question is about carbs/protein/fat ratio and calorie limits. I seem to be eating just around target (1400) according to MFP, sometimes I'd be +/-100 but overall I stick to it. However I almost always get over the limit for carbs and under for protein. I suppose I need to address that?? On the days when I do excercise (a walk with the buggy) should I eat those calories back?

I also wish I could add fruit to my diet but it just very quickly eats up my sugar/calories allowance - e.g. apples, bananas, grapes, I'd eat them all day but then don't have enough left for dinner. Not sure what to do about that, surely it's not very healthy skipping fruit?!

Apologies for the long post, I feel I've hacked it until now and time has come when I need to do it "properly" if I am to stick to it long term. Would appreciate any feedback or comments!

PS I'm still breastfeeding the baby but he is not drinking that much milk, mainly having solids - should I add extra calories for that? I'd rather not

noname314 said:
It's nearly 4 weeks since I joined MiniMins and fitnesspal, ditched all the sugar and decided to lose some weight and get healthy. I don't have that much to lose, or so I kept telling myself over the last few years ;), it was never too much to make me feel "less pretty" or concious of it IYKWIM, of course I wanted to loose the extra pounds but it never bothered me enough to give up my junk food (and I used to eat A LOT of it!) However pound by pound, three children and 8 years later, I've gone from 67kgs to 84!!

Last few weeks have been hard, I don't really miss the sweet stuff, which was a huge revelation for me, I thought I'm a hopeless chocoholic:D I don't remember the last time I've had chocolate, and I don't miss it. But I still crave other carbs - bread, pasta, pitta bread, any pastry, I'd kill for one of these now! I'm managing somewhat ok, some days are better than others, had few small blips but went back on track ;) I thought it takes 21 days to form a habit and by now should have broken some of the addiction, or am I wrong?? I still have white bread, etc but in moderation, and trying to switch to wholemeal lately as much as possible (did I say I MISS the white stuff???:eek:)

I also find it almost impossible to stick to excercise, I find it hard to get the time during the day with the baby crawling around and then homework and activities in the afternoon, and come the evening when everybody is in bed I just feel like crashing down myself! Anybody in the same boat and how do you get around to do it? I really don't like excercising but I'm starting to see the benefits of being fit and having a toned body:eek: Especially if I am to loose all I ideally want to (2st?), everything will be sagging

My last, and most important, question is about carbs/protein/fat ratio and calorie limits. I seem to be eating just around target (1400) according to MFP, sometimes I'd be +/-100 but overall I stick to it. However I almost always get over the limit for carbs and under for protein. I suppose I need to address that?? On the days when I do excercise (a walk with the buggy) should I eat those calories back?

I also wish I could add fruit to my diet but it just very quickly eats up my sugar/calories allowance - e.g. apples, bananas, grapes, I'd eat them all day but then don't have enough left for dinner. Not sure what to do about that, surely it's not very healthy skipping fruit?!

Apologies for the long post, I feel I've hacked it until now and time has come when I need to do it "properly" if I am to stick to it long term. Would appreciate any feedback or comments!

PS I'm still breastfeeding the baby but he is not drinking that much milk, mainly having solids - should I add extra calories for that? I'd rather not

You mention your carb addiction - I can relate to that totally. I too ditched the chocolate and haven't missed it, but 10 months on and 5 stone lighter I know I still have an addictive desire when it comes to cakes, cookies etc. So I did a bit of reading around the subject, and found a recommendation on one of the Minimins threads for a book called Eating Less by Gillian Riley. I bought the Kindle version and am now reading it for a second time - it makes so much sense, I feel it could have been written with me in mind, and I've seen others on here say similar things. So if there's one piece of advice I'd give you it would be check it out for yourself, as it resonated so much with me in terms of addictive overeating. All the best. xx

Thank you very much for the book suggestion, I'm after reading the free chapter on her webpage and it makes a lot of sense! Will definitely order her book :)
Funny you mentioned this as what started me on this journey was my father having stroke, TG he is slowly improving now but while I was crying myself to sleep with worry, and thinking he'd never get better, I promised myself I'll sort out my diet!

noname314 said:
Thank you very much for the book suggestion, I'm after reading the free chapter on her webpage and it makes a lot of sense! Will definitely order her book :)
Funny you mentioned this as what started me on this journey was my father having stroke, TG he is slowly improving now but while I was crying myself to sleep with worry, and thinking he'd never get better, I promised myself I'll sort out my diet!

Glad you may be able to get some help from it, as I really think the whole approach she takes is so sensible (sound like I'm on commission, don't I?!). If you have a smart phone or tablet PC, the Kindle version is worth getting. I'm glad your father is improving, my parents both have a lot of health problems and I know how worrying it is. xx

Back