A query

tenney73

Hi everyone, I am thinking of doing the G I diet to maintain my weigth loss but I am a little confused. I understand what G i means, but do you have to watch everything ie kcals, carbs and fat and doesn't that get a lttle complicated. Any help?

Hiya if you are going to follow GI then Tesco do a magic little book RRP £3.97 that is normally 99p that truelly is the bible of GI!! It explains it all in very basic detail and has a guide of what is high, what is low etc and how they all hang together.

I do think the principles of GI work in terms of making the body work to break down the food but I also believe strongly that calories and GI must be worked on together otherwise maintaining weight is hard.

Mike

I want to do GI after all the maintainance stages, so i will also look out for the book (thankl icemoose:)). I would also keep an eye on cals too as icemoose mentioned, just to make sure that i'm not overdoing it.

Good luck with maintaining tenny :)

I want to do GI after all the maintainance stages, so i will also look out for the book (thankl icemoose:)). I would also keep an eye on cals too as icemoose mentioned, just to make sure that i'm not overdoing it.

Good luck with maintaining tenny :)

Thanks maybe baby, good luck to you aswell.

Hi Tenney

I'm relatively new to maintenance too:):) I am following a low GI diet to help me maintain.

I am an Tesco shopper and most of their packaging have the GI symbols on them. I agree with Mike that you still have to watch the calorie count too.

I didn't know about the little GI book though, so will be scouring the shelves for that, however the yellow CD booklet does show some of the low GI foods etc.

I am happy to say that so far I have managed to maintain, but it's tricky getting the balance right.

Please let us know how you get on, it's nice to speak to someone who has just started maintenance too:D:D

Well done on your weight loss:):):)

Tracey
x

Have you just come off lighterlife? Would be great to have someone to chat to about managment. So far I think I am doing ok, but am well dosed up on sugar free jellies. I have just been to the library today and borrowed a gi recipe book but I did notice that alot of the recipes seemed quite calorific even though they were low gi so will def try tesco's book. How are you finding things? Are you hungry alot?

Have you just come off lighterlife? Would be great to have someone to chat to about managment. So far I think I am doing ok, but am well dosed up on sugar free jellies. I have just been to the library today and borrowed a gi recipe book but I did notice that alot of the recipes seemed quite calorific even though they were low gi so will def try tesco's book. How are you finding things? Are you hungry alot?

I did CD to lose my weight. I don't know anything about the LL management system. I wonder if the maintenance is similar:confused:

I have found since I can eat 'normally' again I am seeming to get more times when I could quite easily pick at the wrong foods. Actually I think management is harder than losing the weight in the first place. At least when we weren't eating the lbs were coming off, now it's just to maintain goal weight, the incentive of weigh in day isn't quite the same.

Like you I am going to stick to a low GI diet though and calorie count. I've found I like a lot of foods which are good for you, that I thought I didn't like pre-diet! Cottage cheese and alpen to name a couple.

Do you find it hard planning your meals? I have a big family and find most of the time I'm cooking something different for myself. This makes me lazy and so I am tending to stick to the same sort of meals, that are quick and easy. My worry is I'll get bored of the food I'm eating!

All moaning aside, I am so pleased to have lost the weight and am determined to keep it off, even if I have to live on baked pots and cottage cheese forever:rolleyes::D

Have you started a maintenance/management diary?

Take care and have a great weekend

Tracey
x

hi minilady sorry it took so long to get back to you but I have been away for the weekend. Talk about major temptatipn! We went to a nice hotel for my dad's 60th and met up with all the family. It was lovely, I did loads of swimming and jacuzziing but I nearly caved when it came to the evening meal. Everyone was ordering mouthwatering dishes and I so badly wanted steak and chips followed by chocolate fudge cake but I was a good girl and went for a cottage cheese and pineapple starter and a roast beef meal ( plenty of veg) as a main and felt pleased with myself. I guess now I am maintaining I could have had what I wanted really but then I was frightened I wouldn't have known when to stop and it is still only early days of maintenace.
From what you've mentioned I am finding it a tad tricky too to juggle the meals as my little girl is abit fussy and wouldn't eat half the stuff I eat and I don't think my husband would either. But I am enjoying trying things again and discovering I actually like them now. I have had a chicken korma tonight and it was divine followed by a heavenly toffee muller light. Let me know how you are getting on. Have been to weigh in tonight and have lost 2lb surprisingly enough ( must have been all the swimming).

You've put me to shame:eek::eek::eek::eek: Well done for being so good:):) Sounds like you had a lovely weekend:D

I on the other hand, had a BBQ for my ex workmates, I drank far too much and ate too much, then Sunday had a chinese:eek::eek::eek:

I got on the scales this morning and have gone up 4lbs:mad: I can't believe it's so easy to put on so much weight in a couple of days:cry:

Back on it today though, as the scales scared the living daylights out of me! I've had sensible low fat and low GI foods, plus this evening went to keep fit class:character00115: Tomorrow I plan to go swimming. My official weigh in is Thursday and am hoping to have lost a bit of it by then!

Well done on 2lb loss this week:clap: Do you want to lose anymore? I set my goal weight at 9 1/2 stone and managed to get to 9.03, just so I had some leeway. Obviously back to 9 1/2 after the weekends debauchery, but would like to get down to about 9 now. I'm only 5' 3" so 9 1/2 although healthy is still at the top end of the healthy scale.

Glad you had a great time.

Tracey
x

Hey don't worry about that 4lb you will easily shift it again and at least you had a good time with your friends, it's not like you are going to suddenly start eating like that every night. I do plan to have a chinese or something quite calorific soon so that I can feel that I am in control of my weight and not vice versa and to challenge myself to get back on track straight after unlike before when I'd binge for days after( hope this makes sense!). It's good to let our hair down every so often.
I think weight wise I want to maintain now where I am. I am 10 stone 1lb and 5ft 6 so I feel happy with this weight. I can't believe I am actually typing this, I have never felt happy with my weight in my whole life. You seem to be intune with what weight is right for you. Don't listen to other people go on your own instincts cos the amount of people who have said to me this week "Don't lose anymore or you will be too thin" and although i know they mean well I just think " hardly" and sometimes wonder if it's a tad bet of jealousy on their part.
My only slight worry I have now is that within the next couple of years we are wanting to try for another baby and I am frightened I might end up back at square one. Although, to be honest I have learnt so much from this diet I know deep down I will never go back to eating a whole deep pan pizza to myself for tea everynight ( as I did when I was pregnant first time around) and i will also try to exercise loads aswell. Sorry for moaning on. Do tell me about yourself. Speak soon x
Vicky

Hey don't worry about that 4lb you will easily shift it again and at least you had a good time with your friends, it's not like you are going to suddenly start eating like that every night. I do plan to have a chinese or something quite calorific soon so that I can feel that I am in control of my weight and not vice versa and to challenge myself to get back on track straight after unlike before when I'd binge for days after( hope this makes sense!). It's good to let our hair down every so often.

Yes you're right! I've been out a couple of times since reaching goal, but have to say it's been easy to get back into healthy eating again straight away, so no damage is really done. Plus now I've lost weight I exercise a lot more (I didn't exercise at all pre diet:eek:) I usually go to an aerobics class twice a week, plus I go swimming a couple of times a week.

I think weight wise I want to maintain now where I am. I am 10 stone 1lb and 5ft 6 so I feel happy with this weight. I can't believe I am actually typing this, I have never felt happy with my weight in my whole life. You seem to be intune with what weight is right for you. Don't listen to other people go on your own instincts cos the amount of people who have said to me this week "Don't lose anymore or you will be too thin" and although i know they mean well I just think " hardly" and sometimes wonder if it's a tad bet of jealousy on their part.

Exactly, we know when we feel comfortable. I told a friend on Monday about the 4lb gain and she replied that it probably wasn't a bad thing as I was getting a bit too thin:eek: I have to be honest I went into panic mode a bit, worrying that maybe I had a really bad self image/annorexic problem starting, as I feel I look ok and if anything could still lose a few lb quite easily without being too thin. I asked a couple of other friends and my H who all said no you look great, definately not like you've wasted away! So again harmony returned. It made me realise, how powerful other peoples opinions are though!

My only slight worry I have now is that within the next couple of years we are wanting to try for another baby and I am frightened I might end up back at square one. Although, to be honest I have learnt so much from this diet I know deep down I will never go back to eating a whole deep pan pizza to myself for tea everynight ( as I did when I was pregnant first time around) and i will also try to exercise loads aswell. Sorry for moaning on. Do tell me about yourself. Speak soon x
Vicky

Vicky you haven't moaned at all!!

I can understand why you would worry about putting weight back on if you have another child, and I do sympathise with you. I have 4 children and obviously they've played a big part in my kangeroo pouch:rolleyes: but I have to be honest, I never really gained extra weight when I was pregnant with any of them, in fact I lost weight whilst pregnant, but it was afterwards when the weight always piled on. I think perhaps because my H worked long hours and also most saturdays, so I would be home with the children with not a lot of support with the taking care of them. Then I would get bored and stressed and comfort myself with food.

I've got to a point in my life now, where I feel life is easier, the children are getting older all at school and one at college, H's working hours are less, therefore the stress factor isn't half as bad as it was. So maybe that's why I've found dieting a lot easier this time and for the first time actually reached goal.

From what you've said, I don't think pregnancy will be a problem for you regarding weight. You're training yourself to eat sensibly and what's more you're enjoying eating sensibly, so I think you'll continue that through pregnancy, and even if a couple of pounds are put on it won't be as much as you've just lost, so getting back into diet mode won't be too big a problem. Swimming is a great exercise whilst your pregnant and something you can continue til your due date.

I don't think you should worry about the future, enjoy being you at this moment, and if you have a slight weight gain in a couple of years with a new baby, well the baby will be worth it and you'll soon lose any extra weight.

By the way weighed myself this morning and 3 of the 4 lb gain have gone, so I'm sighing with relief. I wonder if the chinese was the cause and dehyrdration from alcohol, as the body would have stored extra water, what with all the salt etc.

Tracey
x

Hi Tracy, thanks for that good advice. I think you are right my mindset has definately changed and I know I won't allow myself to go back to the 'old' me. That's a good tip about swimming aswell, I never did anything like that when I was pregnant with lotte.
Congrats on getting that 4 lb off bet you feel really pleased with yourself especially as you are in control now. It goes to show that when our weight does dip slightly it is far easier to correct it now rather than ignoring it and letting the excess pounds build up.
Tell you what I am finding tricky though, on an evening telling myself that I don't need to snack. I will feel full after a good meal and then sitting down to watch corrie or something I feel the need to eat something sweet. So I bought a box of sugar free ice pops and when I get that sweet urge now I have one or one of my sugar free jellies.
I had a really sweet tooth before an I was sort of hoping it would go away but I guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it.
Anyway you take care and speak soon.
Vicky x

I'll tell

Hi Tracy, thanks for that good advice. I think you are right my mindset has definately changed and I know I won't allow myself to go back to the 'old' me. That's a good tip about swimming aswell, I never did anything like that when I was pregnant with lotte.
Congrats on getting that 4 lb off bet you feel really pleased with yourself especially as you are in control now. It goes to show that when our weight does dip slightly it is far easier to correct it now rather than ignoring it and letting the excess pounds build up.
Tell you what I am finding tricky though, on an evening telling myself that I don't need to snack. I will feel full after a good meal and then sitting down to watch corrie or something I feel the need to eat something sweet. So I bought a box of sugar free ice pops and when I get that sweet urge now I have one or one of my sugar free jellies.
I had a really sweet tooth before an I was sort of hoping it would go away but I guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it.
Anyway you take care and speak soon.
Vicky x

I'll tell

I'm exactly the same, I never seem to feel full in the evening and the cupboards are constantly calling:(

During the day I'm the opposite and have to make myself sit down and eat, but in the evening I couldn graze all night. I wander if it's because we are running around all day after the children etc. and in the evening when they're all in bed we then sit and relax and thoughts of food can start to creep in:confused:

Great idea with the jelly and ice poles:D I'm going to make up some jelly tomorrow!

Hope you have a great weekend

Tracey
x

Just bought a fab book from the cheap' book store' in town. It is an anthony worrall thompson low GL book with great recipes and it gives nutritional info aswell. It tells you roughly how many cals you should be eating a day and the bonus was that it was only £4. Was looking at the Rik Gallop ones in waterstones and they have great recipes in but don't tell you about the nutritional content.
Anyway have a great weekend.
Vicky x

Back