A question for counsellors

scooterchick

She's me in a few months
Hey!!

I'm desperado to get back on CD, I feel horrible and fat, hardly any energy and I keep thinking about CD, how sad am I! However I'm still breastfeeding so it's out of the question atm. My question is this. Once my baby is a year old and getting most of his nourishment from solid food, would it be ok to go back onto CD then?

I really want to breastfeed as long as I can but I'm seriously overweight, hurtling towards 40 at a scary pace and my weight is seriously affecting my quality of life. I guess I need to do some serious thinking about the breastfeeding versus my own health but the thought of stopping nursing fills me with panic. Decisions, decisions!!! Of course if I could nurse and do CD, even a higher cal plan, that would be perfect!

This is covered on the CWP website under Medical FAQs - you may not use any CWP if:

• You are pregnant or breastfeeding, or have given birth within the past three months

Should point out I'm totally not a CWPC!

For what it's worth, I think you could still lose weight really well doing something like SW or WW. Both have plans for nursing mothers, I believe - SW does, I'm certain.

Yes, weight comes off quickly on Cambridge (if you can stick to it) - but it'll come off on any good diet, just at a slower rate. Why not try SW and take the slower route to weight loss for now - at least until you're ready to stop breast feeding. You can always swap to Cambridge at that point - and you might even find you don't need to, seven to eight months from now!

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies and sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you.

I know that CD is contraindicated while breastfeeding and I wouldn't consider it atm while breastmilk is still a large part of my baby's diet. However when he's over a year, eating a wide variety of food and milk is just a healthy extra would it be ok then? Does anyoe know anyone who's ever done that?

I presumed it was more down to you and the 'energy' it took you to breastfeed. As not doing CD until baby is three months, is because it wouldn't be healthy for you physically. I assumed it was the same with breastfeeding, and not the baby's sake if that makes sense!!

I'll FB my CDC now and ask her!

Hi. I bf my son and did ww until he was 10months old and I felt that I'd given him a good start and wanted my body back for me, that and I caught a glimpse of myself in the gym mirrors :(. Started cd and stopped feeding the following week. Your nutrients will be taken from your packs and given to your baby if were to bf and do cd leaving your body with nothing. Slowly your body wouldnt be able to function properly as your vit and min would reach poorly stocked levels. Your iron could dip dangerously low, etc your body will feed your baby first through the milk and if you don't eat enough then there'll also be no deposits of fat in your milk and you could risk your baby loosing weight too. I lost 21lb on ww whilst I was waiting to start back at cd! It's not perfect but it's one positive step towards loosing weight that you can do right now!

Back