A Question for those who go to class

Funky_Munky

Put the kettle on
Do those of you who go to class go alone or with a friend/relative? For those of you who go with someone else do you find this overall helps or hinders your weight loss?

My reasons for asking is that i currently go to sw with my mother in law who is currently having a number of issues sticking to plan/losing. While i want to do as much as i can to help her im begining to feel like my time at class is very much focused on her and i dont enjoy class as much as i should as a result. Im not sure what the best option is. Id appreciate your thoughts.

I used to go with 3 of my friends, at the start it seemed better as we'd all help each other stick to the plan, share ideas etc. But once one friend fell off the plan the rest of us seemed to follow. Next week I'm starting again but on my own this time, I'm hoping that this will help me stay on plan and help me focus on losing the weight rather than my friends weight.

I go by myself because i have no one to go with. If i did have someone to go with i wouldn't mind as i need someone for support in person sometimes beyond the class but i can also understand where your coming from too because we go to class for the purpose of support and if someone gets a lot more than thats not very supportive for me. Nowadays i'm finding i'm not getting a lot of support at class either as i am pregnant and i think my c doesnt want to encourage me to lose weight x

I go to class with a friend, though she only really goes when she feels like it. Tbh she is rubbish at sticking to plan, I actually find I get the most pressure from her to "cheat" than anyone else. Needless to say I'm at my target weight, whilst she has been going nearly 2 years now and is only a few lbs under what she started. She introduced me to slimming world and I actually feel bad about losing weight when she hasn't! :s

I go on my own, was a bit intimidating going the first few times but now I know the faces there and the routine I actually quite like it - its an hour or so a week I can spend on me, no distractions from other people and I can spend that time thinking about why I'm doing it, what I want to achieve and my next mini goal. Also I don't have the worry of a friend trying to sabotage my losses. xx

I go on my own. I once did SW with my sister but the minute she fell off the wagon so did I.
I wouldn't join with someone for two reasons:
1. If they stopped doing the plan so would I, or it'd be harder to stick to it.
2. If they were losing faster than me i'd get jealous and give up!

But thats just me :D

xx

Im glad others have experienced similar and its not just me! I just feel that cos of the issues she is having its all a bit one way with the support between us atm. I have considered going to another class but i would feel bad if i did :(

I go on my own, its a bit of 'me time'. Ive only been going for 3 weeks and already i feel like one of the group. so, your not really on your own...do i make sence..lol xx

I Go myself
I took a couple of weeks to speak out and get to know folk
The consultant is amazing and includes everyone and makes sure no one gets left out
The class is a real mixed bunch but everyone gets on and everyone has their own wee part to play in making class so enjoyable
We have good cooks disastrous cooks people who stick to plan people who cheat!
People who get stuck and need encouragement and people who are really supportive
I don't need anyone with me I've got all I need there x

I went because my parent started at the same time.
I don't think I would have walked through the door on my own.
I don't go with them technically, but they do go to the same group as me.
I still go whether they are there or not.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

I joined with my hubby. As ColJack said, I'm not sure I would have walked in on my own however I would now!

I love the face we both go as we are competing with each other so that stops me wanting to cheat!!! Also it kind of makes sense as we eat the same foods and he does all the cooking!

If he didn't want to go I think I would carry on alone as once you go a few times you feel part of the group anyway :)

Anyway, to answer the original question, if you don't want to go to the same group anymore, find an excuse and go elsewhere - perhaps one she can't go to? I know you have the confidence to walk in to a new group now that you know the set up :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I go with a two of my friends as well as one of them's mother and sister. My one friend, her mother and sister don't affect me at all other than there being someone to talk to and such. However, my other friend affects me loads. If we have bad weeks or good weeks its always together because we either support eachother 100% or enable eachother 100% :S

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

The situation is that my mil has been advised she has to lose a significant amount of weight due to health reasons. I offered to go to sw with her to try and encourage her to lose this, as well as for myself. I go to a class which suits her in terms of travelling and access, which means i am going out of my way each week when there are other classes in the village where i live. To put it as impartially as i can, she doesnt appear to be sticking to plan. This is based on what she has told me about what shes eating and also from what i have seen her eating and drinking when ive been with her.

At the risk of sounding horrid, i feel like all the effort im going to to help is being ignored and i am starting to resent spending my time and energy going to class trying to help someone who wont accept it. I dont enjoy going to class anymore because of it as i always end up coming away feeling resentful towards her. I would like to go to class with someone who has a similar attitude as me and can encourage me too.

I would feel bad if i left and she gave up as a result but im not sure what else i can do?!

Last edited:
Why don't you suggest she tries a group near you to see if she enjoys it ..... Gets more motivation?
You could always do week and week about if they are on the same night?

I go by myself.....got no one to go with :(

How about telling her you feel you're not getting enough support/motivation at that class and you've decided to try another class nearer to you on alternate weeks? You never know, it may even push her to do the plan properly. If she has been using you as a 'crutch' then she may realise that facing the scales alone will require her to try harder.

That way, you are not totally withdrawing your backing and you'll be benefitting from going on your own every other week.

Good luck!

I go on my own,my hubby does do sw with me,but he hasnt signed up for meetings or anything,as he works strange shifts.

Glasgow girl62 said:
Why don't you suggest she tries a group near you to see if she enjoys it ..... Gets more motivation?
You could always do week and week about if they are on the same night?

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately she isnt able to travel due to her medical problems which is why i go to her. If i suggested another group i think she would either stay where she is or give up completely, which i dont want her to do :-C

NiaX said:
How about telling her you feel you're not getting enough support/motivation at that class and you've decided to try another class nearer to you on alternate weeks? You never know, it may even push her to do the plan properly. If she has been using you as a 'crutch' then she may realise that facing the scales alone will require her to try harder.

That way, you are not totally withdrawing your backing and you'll be benefitting from going on your own every other week.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I probably sound terrible saying this but i doubt if she went on her own she would be any different tbh. Im afraid of if i dont go with her she wont go at all if that makes sense. She has already started suggesting we dont stay to group every week - i think she is picking up i dont enjoy it!!

I think i am just gonner have to bite the bullet and change groups or stop going. I know that i cannot be responsible for her, but i do still want to help her and would feel terrible if she stopped going cos of me!! My oh seems to think that i am using this as an excuse not to go and give up, but he really cannot see how frustrating it is to spend an entire evening with someone who gives me no motivation, and complains they havent lost more weight then talks about everything off plan they have eaten :-((

Back