A soboring thought for the day!

Paul_Farnham_uk

Hi all,

Anyone easily offended should probably turn back now as i am gonna say some stuff in this post that people may not like.

So here goes..

I often log into the forums and read posts from people who have been away from sw for a number of months / weeks and are devastated that they have gained XXX amount of weight..

Now we have all done it.. lost a couple of stone, felt a bit better about yourself and drift back into the ways which lead to fatville.

then there are the other posts which are oh i have fallen off the wagon, i dont know if i should go to weigh in this week...

Ok reality check time..

Each time you think about not going to weigh in after a splurge, think to yourself why would i not go? because in real terms that is the beginning of a very slippery slope.

Now heres the truth, if you fall of the wagon, its ok... no really it is, we are human... what is not ok is to complain 4 weeks later you gained a stone back... get a grip, bite the bullet and get your ass to weigh in the same week you fell off the wagon.

Let the people in the group support you through the hard times, thats what they are there for!

So the simple message of this post is this..

If you have a moment or even a weekend of weakness, thats ok but the only person you will upset if you dont face up to the consequences straight away is you and your loved ones.

Face it and move on thats how you will get to your target weight, you most definately wont get to it by hiding from your mistakes.

I hope people are able to take from this what was intended which is a positive message that mistakes dont break diets, the person who cant face those mistakes do!!

thanks

Paul

Completely agree.

I always feel like skipping WI if I've had a bad week or a really bad day, but when I do force myself to go its often not as bad as I thought. I'm of the mindset now that if I go get weighed I can draw a line under it and can start using my syns properly again, if I don't weigh and don't know what damage has been done then I still try to avoid them, which does my weight loss no good!

I always try to remember when I have had bad weeks as well, I went to a wedding and went completely off plan, didn't save my syns the rest of the week for the wedding either, at the wedding I had countless glasses of champaigne and archers, wine ect. chocolate, nibbles, whatever they put in front of me and I gained 1.5 lbs that week... normally when I go off plan its no where near on that scale, so I try and think right, surely it can't be anymore then 1.5 lbs (I'll ignore the weeks I've gained a lb when I've been good lol)

The other one is christmas, I gained 7lbs in one week, but I ate everything in sight for 4 out of the 3 days... so completely expected.

I have broad shoulders and the knowledge that im right will carry me through lol

You will no doubt get some flack for this post Paul, but regardless of that you are right!

Here here! Last week after bank holiday group was so quiet and it's frustrating for the consultants too as they can't help you if your not in group! If they don't know where your at and where you need to be how can they guide you on your journey and help you change those habits for life! X

I totally agree! I've done the "I don't want to go to weigh in because I've been bad and I know I've put on" ! And it led to me putting what I'd lost back on. It was a very hard lesson learnt. So yes no matter what, get yourself on those scales then you know where you stand, what the damage (if any) is and you can get back on track!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I agree...I didn't want to go to weigh in 2 weeks ago but went and I'd put on 6lbs,I walked out with new determination that lasted a whole day....so really didn't want to go last week,I even text my consultant to say I didn't think I was going to make it-waited till last minute then decided to bite the bullet and I'd lost 1/2 lb.
If I hadn't had gone if have been dreading wi again this week but I'm actually looking forward to it :)

Glad i just read this post :) You are SOOOO right x

Quite right. One bad week leads to another and another and another. I have no idea why missing weigh in can be helpful. If you've eaten it, face up to it - it's often never as bad as you think it's going to be.

Can I say that I agree for some people, but not for me personally. That's not how my motivation works. I've missed one wi since I joined SW, it was the week after Easter and I knew that I had put on weight. A recorded gain on my chart completely demotivates me, I know this from experience. I knew exactly what I needed to do without any help from my consultant and I went back the following week with a 2lb loss (which in reality was about 4lb loss had I weighed in). I have steadily lost since then.

I know this isn't the right approach for everyone, but it works for me.

Completely agree. I've tried SW in the past, fell off an now trying again. I have about a stone to lose

Only this lunch time I was talking with dh and I said it just feels different this time. If only 1lb comes off a week then happy days. I don't want huge results in minimum time, I want slow long lasting results. Before it was a diet, now its a healthy lifestyle change for me and my family and I'm totally comfortable with myself...... Finally :)

Here, here, totally agree, I put 1/2lb on last week, couldn't stay (wanted to/needed to) this week probably worse still, get weighed tonight. But I will go, even a few weeks of blips is better than totally putting the weight back on. At least I can stay tonight.

I agree almost entirely! But I *do* think it's fine to come back to Minis with a big gain, hang your head, and have a moan about having fallen off the wagon and gaining weight. This is a support forum, after all, and the majority of us will fall off the wagon for a few weeks at least once! :D

In agree with you I joined sw 2 years ago had a bad week thought il start again next week it never happened 2 years later I am2 stone heavyer and starting back 2moz

But we are all weak when it comes to food, otherwise we probably wouldnt be here. Nobody likes failure and the scales dont lie. Sometimes the truth can hurt, i know some people who could deal with a bad week better by resolving themselves to do better following, not by the humiliation of gaining. I use humiliation in a lighter sense, not that others are judging, but you are judging yourself.

Personally i am of the same persuasion as Paul in this sense. But if you have lower self esteem and body image issues, failure could throw you off course.

It can be nerve racking facing the scales but you weigh what you weigh whether you go weigh in or not. If you can turn the negative stress of the weigh in to a positive way of spurring you on to sticking to plan and avoiding the gains the majority of time then it can help you get to target.
In the big picture it doesn't matter what you weigh on one particular weigh in but if you don't weigh in and eat badly in the long term the weight is likely to keep increasing.
All that said I am not attending groups at present and struggling to stick to plan....now theres a chicken and egg situation :p

But we are all weak when it comes to food, otherwise we probably wouldnt be here. Nobody likes failure and the scales dont lie. Sometimes the truth can hurt, i know some people who could deal with a bad week better by resolving themselves to do better following, not by the humiliation of gaining. I use humiliation in a lighter sense, not that others are judging, but you are judging yourself.

Personally i am of the same persuasion as Paul in this sense. But if you have lower self esteem and body image issues, failure could throw you off course.

Actually sometimes the scales do lie....in fact quite often. People often have unexpected gains due to water retention ect. which will come off the following week, in this case, the scales are ''lying'' as you will have actually lost fat, but the scales aren't showing it.

I find those gains a lot harder to deal with then gains when I know I've over eaten as well, as at least when you've over eaten your expecting it!

I totally agree with the OP. I am one of those rejoiners who gained back some weight. I tried for ages to lose what I had gained back believing I didn't need group anymore but I found myself skipping my own at home weigh ins and lying to myself that I would get it all off the following week. The truth is I've only actually managed to start losing weight again after I re-joined group and faced up to what I had done. The scales did not lie, I had gained weight and if I wanted to get it off I would have to keep going.

Blips are fine and having a few naughty days is fine but the real strength is facing up to the consequences of your actions and then taking the necessary steps to right them. I wish I had re-joined group 4 months ago when I first realised I was gaining back instead of staying in denial. Had I re-joined then I would be back at target now. But nevermind lesson learned, I'm there now and that's what really counts!

Great post OP!

Absolutely 100% agree with you, Paul! Awesome post!
I spent 15 years in that cycle and the only thing I lost was 15 years. I am loving life right now because there is no doubt in my mind that this time, THIS TIME, I will get to my goal. I have never been so determined in my life. Day 29 of 100% and 1st 8lbs lost.. Why the hell WOULDN'T I stick to it?!

Amen! :D

Back