A surgery question

Maximus

Gold Member
Has anyone undertaken surgery to rid themselves of loose skin, or have a tuck or similar (sorry, unsure of the terminology).

Does anyone know anything about it? - is it available on the NHS for example? can your GP refer you? - is it best to wait until you are happy with your weight and not planning on losing any more?

I was always against such surgery, but would at least consider it - or discuss it with medical staff. I still consider my unsightly bits could do with a tightening up. Others tell me I don't need to lose any more weight, but said bits are gone, I'm not sure I'll ever be happy:(

Not asking about the pros and cons - or even the ethics of surgery - for whatever reason, just wondering about the opinion for those who have had it done successfully, or even those who know people who have had it done.

Any input appreciated, but can we keep it civil as I appreciate it may be a controversial topic;)

I know someone who's had a tummy tuck and she loved the results. She was very unhappy about her tummy before an it effected her daily but she paid for treatment. I know someone else who's getting one on the Nhs but they have to go to a weigh in every week to prove they can lose weight and then maintain when at a healthy weight. I think it can only make you happier surely but that's my opinion which I know you didn't ask for lol.

Hi Maximus

I've got no experience of this but will be interested to follow this thread as it is something I have been wondering about for when I get to target (and manage to maintain) as my tummy will never be the same again after three pregnancies & goodness knows how many ups & downs on the scales. I hope somebody out there has some experiences they are able to share.

Rebecca

I am all for anything that helps makes you look and feel better,but after the Tummy Tuck the footballers wife had and the poor woman died all I would say is plenty of research on the subject and any surgeons and clinics is a BIG priority

Maximus - i think it depends on your NHS trust. Some will do it for you, but only if you had weight loss surgery on the NHS as well. Other will do it if you have demonstrated losing weight & keeping it off. If you are considering it then best to chat to your GP & see what the score is with your NHS trust. I thinks its obviously quicker privately, but not sure on the cost - a boob lift is about £5k and i think a tummy tuck is a less complicated op.

Oh thanks all.

I just wanted to get some ideas. Obviously if I can reduce or improve it naturally, by exercise, dieting, cycling walking, swimming, running etc. I will.

There is no hurry, it is just something that whilst not a great problem in the general scheme of things, it niggles or irks me.

Perhaps, aiming to the lower end of my BMI range might help. Perhaps I am being over critical - that is always a possibility, but no harm in thinking and planning ahead. As with all of these things, I'd value the opinion of my GP and medical staff.

Thanks for all the input.

Hi Steve,

Although it is the kind of thing that has been done on the NHS in the past, I think it is very unlikely that it will be in the future unless there are significant medical reasons (eg repeated skin infections requiring antibiotics in excess folds etc). There is a list of things going round that the NHS won't be funding (although I haven't seen it myself) and anything considered cosmetic I think will probably be out. That may even include things like surgery for bat ears and varicose veins ??

However, it may still be worth seeing your GP to see what's available, what his/her opinion is on it and whether they have any recommendations if you wanted to have a consultation privately. You don't have to commit to anything, you can just talk and get some ideas. I agree with you that you will want to see that you can maintain your weight before making any decisions and may wish to go a bit lower as well. Your body magic will definitely help though :)

No harm in thinking about it though.

Gail x

There used to be a surgeon at my local hospital that when you had a c section he used to offer a tummy tuck at the same time (i really dont know if this is true, but it was what i was told). I am worried as i have quite a bad problem in this area, having had 3 c sections and i am constantly having infections in that area. I am hoping that in the future i will be able to have a tummy tuck. i think it is cheaper abroad too.

Im like Tara, 3 c-sections has left me with a very stretched and flopsy gut. If ever I am in a position to get a tuck, I would love to. Doesnt look likely in the foreseeable. :( My bikini modelling career over before it got started.

Lots of god advice Steve.

My sister lost 9 stones and had surgery. She had a tummy tuck and various other bits doe. It was on the NHS but it was years ago.
Interestingly they would not do it until she stopped smoking !!

I'll give it at least a yar of exercise and stuff as it may go away naturally, or at least improve sufficiently.

I keep forgetting i'm no longer a kid - just the maturity and outlook/attitude of someone 20 years younger than my two score years and six;)

I guess the nearest I'll get to a six-pack now is the local off-licence! as a non-drinker, it's looking dubious lol

Back