A Typical Indians Indian Recipe Book

Which poppadoms are 2 syns? Nom!

Syn free prawn curry and rice! Altered it a bit to suit my tastes and I love it :D

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Attachments

• image-3779272540.jpg
    image-3779272540.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 258
YUM! Oh my gosh, best curry I've ever made! Mum agrees to - she loves it :) Doubled the recipe and added frozen coriander (it's basically fresh, chopped then flash frozen) during the cooking process, but it was amazing! Made a raita of cucumber, FF yoghurt, pepper, salt and sweetener and had 2 poppadoms :D

Poppadoms.jpgPrawn Curry with Yellow Rice and Raita.jpg

Oh and Joanne, these are the poppadoms I have! Says 46 calories per poppadom so technically 2.5 syns, but I'm a rebel so counting them as 2 for 4.5 syns haha!

you go girls! The curries look AMAZING! And yeh i would double the recipe if you want, because you can always freeze it if theres any left over!

Craig - tbh to make a vindaloo is just a super spicy curry, so you can vindaloofy any of the ones ive posted, just add some fresh green chillies during the process and add some extra spices if your feeling really brave! When adding the chillies slice them in half and then throw them in whilst you add the onions so they can cook off a bit.. dont get rid of the seeds, and use the smallest thinnnest chillies you can find! There the hottest ;)

Miss peri it might be a good idea to create a index page like Pete done with his thread that way way people could find what they looking for easier x have I missed the chicken tikka masala recipe you were going to get off your mum??? X

Miss peri it might be a good idea to create a index page like Pete done with his thread that way way people could find what they looking for easier x have I missed the chicken tikka masala recipe you were going to get off your mum??? X

An Index would be great please

I love currys but not good at cooking - thank you for inspiring me to give it a go! first try is simmering now and it smells amazing :p

Re: A Typical Indians Indian Recipe BookA Typical Indians Indian Recipe Book

Keema rice please as this is my fav takeaway :D

There are a lot of ingredients for this recipe, but most of it just masala stuff to be honest! Remember you can tweek this recipe by using different types of meat (you could use lamb, beef or prawns, fish etc etc) or you could leave the meat out all together and make a veggie dish and maybe add some peas, cauliflower and so on.

Serves approx 4-6 people

Ingredients

4 large chicken breasts cut into cubes
2 medium onions, chopped
2 teaspoons of garlic and ginger paste
200g butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 aubergine, cut into small cubes
175g potatoes, peeled and small cubes
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
15g fresh dill (Large handful)
600ml water
5 or 6 sprigs of fresh mint leaves, chopped
Large handful of fresh coriander, chopped (save some for the garnish)
1 tin of cooked green lentils
Can of chopped tomatoes or 5 large tomatoes skinned and chopped
600ml OXO chicken stock made with boiling water
1 tablespoon of soft brown sugar
Juice of 1 small lime
1 tablespoon of tamarind paste

Spice mix for chicken
Frylight
2 teaspoons of corriander and cumin powder
2 teaspoons of red chilli powder
6 small green chillies finely chopped - or you can use 1 1/2 teaspoons of the blended green chillies.
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1 teaspoon of ground fenugreek

Before you start, spray your chicken generously with frylight, and add all of the spice mix in a bowl with the chicken and leave it to marinate for a few hours in the fridge.

1.Place onions, butternut squash, aubergine, potato, green lentils, dill and 600ml water into a large pan.
2. Stir in the turmeric, the garlic and ginger paste, coriander and mint leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, place a lid on the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. In the meantime, heat a pan gently, spray liberally with frylight and add the chicken. Seal off the chicken for about 5 mins. Use some chicken stock if needed to stop it from sticking.
4. When the veggies are cooked, mash up with a masher, or if you want a smoother consistancy use a blender.
5. Add the chicken to the veggie mix, and then add the chopped tomatoes, sugar and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for another 15 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
6. Just before it is finished cooking, add the tamarind paste and garnish with the rest of the corriander.
7. Serve with some freshly boiled basmati rice and a side salad.

mmmm.. yummy!!

This is my interpretation of this recipe. Experiment and tweet it if need be to suit your taste! Indian food is all about experimenting :)

Don't have a picture for this i'm afraid, but when I make it or mom makes it I will be sure to edit this post and add a picture ;)

Hi Peri
Thanks so much for passing these recipes to us all. I made the dhansak tonight and it was fantastic. I have the tomato, coriander & chilli dip in the fridge. Made it a bit too spicy so added some total 2% for only 1 syn. Yummy !

image-1856445813.jpg

Hey folks, just HAD 2 let u all kno that I made Perri's Prawn curry last nite (altho I used chicken instead of prawns n added lots of green peppers) n it was totally fabulous!!! I can whole-heartedly recommend it n urge u all 2 try it asap! :)

Back