A way of eating forever

Joanne24

Restarting!
I've noticed more and more posts about people that are expecting losses every week and I just think that alot of people are wanting quick fixes for their weight. Instead of being paitent and wanting the weight to fall off no matter how long it takes.

Since I begin my SW journey, I have always thought of it as a way of eating and maintaining a healthy attitude towards food for the rest of my life. Just wondered how many people think the same or how many think, I can't wait to get off this diet!

Or is it just me thats been thinking this?? :p

Last edited:
I agree. It's a way of life and a healthy way of eating that I can live with forever. However having said that, I'm still impatient to get to my target! I think that's because in the back of my mind I think I can then 'relax' a little bit and maybe not have to work so hard at it - although I know that's a fallacy!

Thats different tho Stacey, you have been on the plan for a while. Compared to some who have been on it for 2/3 weeks and want to give up :p

Your one of the lovely members that can show how determination and hard work will pay off by following SW!

Awww thanks for that hun! Yes, you have to be determined and focus and realise that EVERY half pound or pound adds up and be grateful on the weeks that you STS that it's not a gain! Easier said than done though.

The biggest thing is just to stick at it and take each week at a time. I certainly didn't envisage 21 months ago that I would be sat here having lost 6st!

Thanks Joanne. Very well said.
For me, I think that this is the way I will eat forever, so if my weight loss is slow, as it is, that is ok as I have the rest of my life to do it!
I can't believe that I now turn down offerings of cakes, sweets and chocolates.
I don't think of it as being restricted in any way but something that I no longer need, like bread, which I have given up completely.
It feels great not to be even tempted any longer. If I do want some, I'll have it and count but at the moment I am not at all interested!

For me SW is certainly a way of life. I was in a meeting today and a pile of lovely danish pastries came out. I just calmly sat there and ate my apple. Before SW I would never have been able to do that.

I am enjoying my food so much now that I don't see the point in ruining everything by having some quick fixes of cake, chocolate etc. If I'm hungry I've got plenty of satisfying foods that I can eat. I don't feel deprived so I don't seem to crave bad things I used to eat loads of. Occasionally I will use my syns and treat myself to some chocolate and afterwards wonder why I thought it was so great. Now I'd rather have a bowl full of fruit with a muller light than a bar of chocolate. If I need comfort food, there's always SW chips.

I can now visualise myself still sticking to this plan once I've reached my target. With Extra Easy and a few Healthy Extras I'll be able to eat fabulous food and never go hungry. I'm going to throw away all my clothes that are too big for me because I'm NOT going to need them again.

I think a lot of it depends on how much you have to loose and how close to target you are.

To be honest Im still a LONG way away from my goal weight and I really cant afford to have weeks and weeks where I dont lose anything. Im not expecting big losses, but if Im sticking to it then I must admit I DO expect the 1 or 2lbs a week that should be attainable on a diet like SW. Im not ready for maintance yet - I need steady losses

To me weeks where I don't lose anything are usually where i have fannied about, but it's only another week to my target, and lets face it, I may live for another 30 years so what's a week? As long as I get back on the plan, what's the worry?

I love the SW plan and can imagine eating this way for the rest of my life however I was feeling de-motivated as despite sticking to the plan 100% (I can put my hands on heart and say this honestly) I've gained the last two weeks. I dn't expect big losses and will be more than happy with half pounds but it knocks the stuffing out of you when you gain for no reason. Those of us that are going to class are paying a fiver each week so each of those pounds I've gained for no reason are costing me.

I love this eating plan. I haven't eat so much healthy food. Crisps used to be a habit. Now I can go without. I am diabetic and my sugars have never been so low. I need to lose weight quickly. My kidneys are not working very well, so when dialisis come, it will be easier on my body. But I don't expect it to come off too quickly and don't want it to. The saggy skin is my nightmare. But I do expect a couple of pounds a week if I stick to it.

Just wondered how many people think the same or how many think, I can't wait to get off this diet!

Great post Joanne, If people do think that though, the weight will go back on - if you want it to stay off then you can't get off the diet! Not ever! :D

I've been at target for 14 months now and I am still on the diet, always will be! I've seen so many people get to target, leave and then come back some months later having put some or all of the weight back on. I've been there and done that as have others on here!

I'm so pleased you posted this as we are all guilty of wanting more off than "only a pound"!!

I dn't expect big losses and will be more than happy with half pounds but it knocks the stuffing out of you when you gain for no reason. Those of us that are going to class are paying a fiver each week so each of those pounds I've gained for no reason are costing me.

I must admit, this is awful but we've all been there. When this happens to me, I blame my hormones. Our bodies are wierd and wonderful things and these are the bodies natural fluctuations. It is so frustrating but I always try to think that If I have been good then the loss will come at some point and it will be a good one!!

To be honest Im still a LONG way away from my goal weight and I really cant afford to have weeks and weeks where I dont lose anything. Im not expecting big losses, but if Im sticking to it then I must admit I DO expect the 1 or 2lbs a week that should be attainable on a diet like SW. Im not ready for maintance yet - I need steady losses

I do agree with Starlight here, if you're doing it 100% there's no reason you shouldn't lose atleast 1lb a week, which is a steady loss.

I worked out last night that of the 25 weeks Ive been on SW Ive lost 13 & either sts or gained the other 12 weeks, that pretty gutting knowing Im doing it 100% but thats just the way it is, as annoying as that is!!

When my friends talk about SW being a diet I correct them saying its not a diet its a lifestyle. I do believe that when you reach target or even if you stop going to meetings SW can fit in with your life so that you can carry it on, thats why I believe its a lifestyle.

It's still very early days for me. However, I think I am somewhere in the middle. I'm hoping that SW will leave me eating a more balanced and healthier diet. When I reach target, I hope to continue with the general ethos - eating lots of fruit and veg and healthy stuff and only a limited amount of 'junk'. However, I don't plan on counting syns forever, especially when it comes to things that I think are pretty healthy (if you're not trying to lose weight) anyway such as olive oil, soups and sauces (which obviously some are SW friendly and some aren't).

But hopefully I won't be going back to having multiple chocolate bars and cakes every single day and that it will get me out of the habit of eating so much bread as well!

Well ive been doing the plan for 10 weeks and 2 of those weeks i gained one was * week and the other was the week of my mums birthday where i can honestly say i went crazy food wise. When ive been 100% ive always lost even if its just a pound and to me every pound counts and a sts isnt as bad as a gain. I dont really look at it as a diet more a healthy way to eat and at the moment i can say that i could eat like this forever because it doesnt feel like a diet. Like last night i had soup for tea and i was full all evening didnt even have bread with it. Id never have been able to say that before and it can only be because during the day i was snacking on free foods when i felt peckish as opposed to chocolate or crisps like i would normally have had.

The only problem I see about this being a plan forever is that society is still geared up to fast food and unhealthy snacks. Everywhere you go it's very easy to buy cakes, chocolate, burgers, chips etc. However, it's much more difficult to find healthy things. Even salads are generally covered in fatty dressings. I go to many meetings and it's always biscuits and cakes that come out. Buffet lunches are a nightmare and I usually only have a tiny bit and wait until I get home to eat. I spend a lot of time watching friends eating things that I don't want to eat.

I will always be able to follow this diet very easily at home but out and about will be challenging. While I'm losing weight I'm very focused and find it easy to resist bad things. Once I'm at target it will be harder to resist purely because bad food is so much more accessible than good food when you're away from home.

I dream of Slimming World restaurants, or at least just healthy eating ones.

Completely agree Teresa. I've got used to remembering to ask for salad without dressing (or on the side), veg and jacket pots without butter in restaurants or pubs. As for the cakes, well, I either give in and have one or resist and tell myself that I will have one next time I go to Starbucks!
Buffets are a nightmare, the meetings I go to, the buffet lunches are lethal! I take myself a pot of cottage cheese and some ryvita and munch on those, the others have got used to it now. I never want to put my weight on again so suffering a few funny looks or being "awkward" in restaurants is something I'm happy to do!

I've been at SW for nearly 18 months now and apart from the odd 'blip' along the way (Christmas/Holidays etc)I've found it pretty easy to fit into everyday life. I'm not quite at target yet ( although it's so close I could scream!)That said I can see it would be oh so easy to slip back into old habits and it's important to stay focussed in order to do this 'forever'. The odd treat now and again is fine but treats several times a day are a no go!!

i have to say that for me too its a way of life now, it is keeping my crohns under control and if i have a 'bad' week and manage not to put on then for me it shows that although i dont lose every week i dont gain when i have fun and enjoy myself

Back