A Weigh of Life

I mainly drink caffeine free as being a shift worker and an insomniac I find I'm a much better sleeper without it. I alternate between normal and free tea.

I've tried cutting back but I really miss the fizz. And I can't stand fizzy water.

I should try and drink more normal water though. There's lots of things need to do more of: veg, water, exercise, housework, booty calls.

Sent from my iPhone

I drink a LOT of diet coke. And not the caffeine free stuff, either. I'm down to about 3 cans a day now! X

Yesterday was awful. Up for work at 5am. Well planned on the food although I did allow myself some granary toast mid-morning because I was starving. But at nightfall: OMG!! I toddled off to bed with a packet of monster munch and mini eggs, which would just take me over my syns by 1 for the day. All very good and honourable. But oh no. Something undescribable clicked in my brain and after I had 2 mini eggs I had 2 more, then 2 more and on and on. When I reached 12 I took the packet upstairs and told my Mum to hide them from me.

I can't explain it at all. Every time I reached for the next two my head was even saying "you don't want to, but, heck go on". I even imagined little fatty mini egg sized lumps appearing on my thighs. So I was about 7.5 syns over. Probably. I'm telling myself I only had 12 but I'm in denial and it could easily have been 20. I completely slipped back into old diet Me who sneaks food into the bedroom because I deserve it.

I blame tiredness and the very odd after eight based dream I had during my early evening nap.

Hopefully the Gods of Slimming will actually reprimand me with tiny mini egg lumps somewhere about my person. If they do I can count them up and learn how bad I was.

I can completely understand what happened. Please don't think that you're alone here. I almost always eat my syns (particularly if I have any more syn stuff left over for another day) in a different room and preferably different floor of the house from anything else remaining. When I start and have the taste in my mouth, I just want more. However if I'm away, it is very unusual for me to go back for more. Once the taste has gone I'm usually fine. So that's a lesson learnt for you. Take what you're having and leave the rest of the packet somewhere else. You have nothing to be ashamed of. That is normal.

I am hoping that the SW god does not give you mini egg shaped lumps on your body. You will look a bit strange. But I had a good giggle over this one :giggle:

While I'm here: does anyone else look at the dramatic weight losses from people on here following other more drastic plans and contemplate going for the quick fix? When I see people losing 7/8/9/10 lbs in one week and think I've been on this a month and am not ever there yet I get serious weight loss envy. I know SW is great for the long term and maintaining afterwards but, really, I'd love to lose over a stone by the time of my do at the end of May.

I have thought about it but never really got anywhere close to trying it. I love eating and I eat out a lot so it would restrict my life to a ridiculous extent that I wouldn't be happy. Food is both a good and a 'bad' part of my life but I wouldn't want it any other way. I would rather lose the weight in a sustainable way than lose it and put it straight back on. But equally everyone is different so you have to do what's best for you.

I just keep telling myself "Failing to plan is planning to fail".

That's what happened Saturday - I only took fruit with me (summer fruits and half a melon, big tubs of each) and I was out from 10am to 9pm. I usually take a pasta dish too but hadn't had time to make one. I just need to squeeze some more preparation time into my week.

I may do the food diary too as I also don't think I'm eating enough. It's just hit 1pm and I've only now had breakfast. As I'm on nights for next 3 days I didn't wake up until 11am but that's still 2 hours before I ate. I got up at 11am and had my hot lemon and a cup of tea so I could have made breakfast too. Allowing myself to get hungry means I go into the kitchen and panic eat whatever I can prepare in a hurry.

I could probably do with a bit of variety too, I have a different meal every night but my daytime food is very similar every day. Ready brek (hex b + milk hex a) and banana, pasta for lunch or baked potato n beans, and snacks of summer fruits, melon and grapefruit. Then either more ready brek or ryvita as my 2nd hex b.

I really enjoy what I'm having though and so far it's working so I'm slightly loathe to change it. I may review after weigh in though.

Everything you have said there is good. Planning is so important. I do a really busy job and it is difficult to find the time to cook/plan but I have been doing it for so long now that it is just a part of life. I also freeze stuff so that if I don't have time to cook (often) I have stuff that I like to eat. However I was eating mostly the same stuff over and over so now I have a shortlist of things that I plan to try next which will shake thing up a little. No need to stop eating the stuff that you like, just add a few things in. Food diaries will also help. I had a couple of slow weeks recently so I kept a food diary last week and lost 2.5lb. I was very pleased.

Diary looks good! I try and squeeze as much superfree as poss in to all meals. That way I know I am having at least 1/3. And I don't think that rice is excessive, especially as you're not doing that every day! In the orient people eat way more. And they're tiny. Xx

I agree. I love rice and eat plenty. Don't worry about it.

I drink a LOT of diet coke. And not the caffeine free stuff, either. I'm down to about 3 cans a day now! X

I used to drink pretty much only diet coke however because I've been trying to drink more in general I drink very little now - not deliberately, it just happened. Some of the things related to SW you have to make a conscious effort to change (when you start) but some of it will come naturally in time without any effort so don't worry too much about it for now.

Well done Zoe, you are doing great. Fingers crossed that the funeral is a good send off, not too distressing and that you can avoid some of the fried food. Big hugs.

Gail x

Hear! Hear! You're doing do well. You just have to stick with it! Xx

I got a STS. Not at all surprised though. Secretly pleased it's not a + as well.

Sticking to plan today and then intend to completely forget diet tomorrow. Finish work at 2am: flight to Dublin at 7am. Have to be there for 6am and it's an hour away. At a rough guess I shall manage roughly half hour sleep tonight. I'll try and be healthy but I don't want to have to analyse everything I'm eating when I'm going to be knackered until we get back home at midnight tomorrow.

Just cranking up the laptop and I shall post yesterday's diary.

Zxx

Sent from my iPhone

Yay! Glad you're pleased with your sts. Hope the trip goes as well as it can do xx

Food diary Tuesday

Hot water and Lemon

Breakfast (11.30): Ready brek and banana (hex b - half hex a milk)

Snack for drive to work 3pm - melon pieces

Lunch 5pm: Pasta in tomato sauce with quorn pieces and quorn hot dogs. Massive salad. (2 syns for hot dogs)

Snack 7pm: summer fruits

Dinner 11pmish: Qourn lasagne and bread roll. (1.5 syns for cheese on lasagne, ??? syns for bread roll)

More melon in car on way home

Bedtime snack 3am: 3x ryvita (hex b), packet of monster munch 5.5 syns

Used remainder of hex a milk in tea and drank 4 x cans of diet coke

Total syns = 9+ bread roll

Week 5 - Woolly Bully

I referred in an earlier diary to spending a year following a knitting pattern and at the end of it finding out all you've knitted is a ball of wool. That's where I'm at this week with my STS.

Fortunately I'm quite aware that I've strayed a little off plan and had a bit of a binge so the original pattern was probably for a skinny Kate Moss doll and I've just embellished it for my own means, lost focus and so here I am.

You all now have the exciting opportunity to review my daily food diary. Now, calm down, I know this is more excitement than you can probably handle but I'm hoping you can all take this opportunity to be constructively critical and point out where I can try harder and improve. I excpect you all to be as harsh as Mrs Aitken my 6th form tutor who took me for English, French literature, History and Drama studies. She hated me and showed it. So that's the level of harshness you need to aim for.

I'm not actually that dissappointed with a STS. I really did expect a little plus sign to creep into my weight tracker this week and George is due very soon (God, my boobs hurt so much so it's either that or there's a child somewhere in the world I should be feeding).

So moving on and looking forward I have already written tomorrow off due to visit to Dublin. I'm trying to plan ahead for the day but my family probably won't appreciate my turning up at the Wake with my little tub of melon and a handful of Alpen lights.

In better news I just tried on my funeral outfit and I look great. It's okay, I do feel a bit wrong for thinking that. I'd look better if I could wear my 6 inch high heels but there's no way I'll last all day in them so I've gone for something lower that make me look less vampish. Great Auntie Eva would definitely have approved of less vamp/more carmelite nun.

AND and and, the dress I'm wearing says 14 on the label. I'm not sure where it's from as I got in in a charity shop and I suspect it may be American i.e. actually an 18. But bugger it - I'm wearing a 14. Whoop Whoop.

Hopefully it won't be long to I'm celebrating looking like Top Booty in any outfit.

So, if we completely ignore the fact that this week contains a Thursday I'm going for it. Back in the zone. Mentally strong. Planning planning planning. Superspeeding to the max :)

Zxx

Well done you! I can only dream of the day I fit in to anything that's a size 14!

As for your bread roll, Syns Online says the following:

Bread rolls, White bap, 28g 3½ 3½ 3½ Bread rolls, White bap, 113g average 14½ 14½ 14½
So... if it was a small roll, I'd say 3.5 syns. For a proper bap (barm for any North-Easterners) I'd count 14.5. Seems like a HUGE amount!

x

It was a small tesco in store bakery crusty roll, but with olives and stuff in. Their online store doesn't say how much carbs are in it or protein so I can't work it out properly. I'm guessing 3.5 plus a bit more probably. Which is a very rubbish attempt at guessing.

This is just another example of how lax I've started getting btw. Weeks 1-4 I wouldn't have bought the bread roll at all if I knew I'd have trouble synning it but I've slipped back into my "you deserve one" mentality.

I am currently slapping myself really hard round the face with a kipper.

Ha ha! Yes, I know, it's really quite a tough one... I'd probably syn it at about 5-6 to be safe? x

May I hazard a guess at 6? Prob would have olive oil in??? Move away from the bread lady ;-) hope your visit to Ireland goes ok xx

Hi Zoe - I've only just met your diary, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello. It seems a bit more polite than just rudely stalking it.

You've made me laugh, which is always A Good Thing, so I'll definitely be back.
I also thought you could maybe take some more encouragement from someone who still thinks the same way about all the different "Me"s - just a bit further down the SW line. I'm just coming up to my 1st SW anniversary, and am so close to target I can feel my nostril hairs twitching, but I still battle with how I feel about myself.
Feel free to have a nose at my diary if it might help!

Day 38 - I am a fat bloater.

If you want to lose weight never meet my family in Dublin. They are feeders and they love a buxom woman.

I have slept 2 hours out of the last 37.

That is all

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoe

Hope your trip was ok? Now you're back you can get on plan. And, just think, it's nearly the frickin' weekend, yo! Hope you snoozed well! xx

Slept okay. Not nearly enough yet but I do have the day off to fit in lots of mini naps.

Can't decide whether to do a mini restart today i.e. weigh in and do a full week and then continue to weigh in on Fridays from now on.

I don't think I did too badly yesterday. I had a couple of cocktail sausages and potato wedges. The sandwiches would have been fine if Irish catering didn't include a visible layer of butter. And we had the most amazing Irish stew for dinner. All fine under EE.

Sent from my iPhone

If I were you I'd just flexi-syn yesterday and carry on as normal! On day is not bad.

I wouldn't do a weigh in so soon after a heavy eating day. Cos you'll have food weight, and it would give you a false impression of how badly you've done.
I'd go for getting straight back on the wagon, and weigh in on your normal day.

You're right, Girlies. I'll stay as I am and just be super good rest of this week.

Today's WI would be totally warped anyway as my George just arrived.

And I just had a flashback to my mums cousin (who I call uncle Sean. Don't ask!!) buying me Baileys after Baileys. Saying: Eva told me to spoil you next time I saw you. Eva = his mum/my great aunt/lady we buried. Guilt in a glass. He bought me about 6 large guilt trips. Erk.

Sent from my iPhone

Back