Aaaaargh! At breaking point!

Steve S

Help! :cry:

This is my 6th week on Atkins and I've lost, on aggregate, nowt, zero, zilch, nada. :sigh:

I'm following the '72 version of the book, I'm really strict on carbs, I've cut alcohol completely and caffeine too, recently.

As some of you know I'm doing the Power 90 program, a 90-day alternating sequence of high-intensity weights work and cardio and abs routines.

This may or may not be having a negating effect as I'm putting muscle on, but it really can't be that much. I initially lost an inch or so on my waist and hips, but it's come back a little and I've lost no more inches.

The frustrating part is I'm definitely in ketosis, or at least I have an excess of ketones being expelled in my urine 'cos the ketostix are always purple.

I'm at the end of my tether as I really, really, desperately want to see movement at either the scales or with the tape measure. I don't want to give up either Atkins or the exercise but I feel one of them will have to go very shortly.

Any suggestions please, anyone? :confused:

Addendum: I've successfully used Atkins before to shift a couple of stones, but I did practically no exercise back then. :eek:

I used/using the New Atkins much more varied foods. only do 3 hrs cardio work/week ie cross trainer/treadmill worked well for me, no booze for 3 weeks then vodka or white wine after, 2ltr water a day.

That's what my instinct is screaming at me, Steve. My training buddy's not going to be happy, but I need to find the cause of this stick and the hi-intensity exercise is #1 culprit at the mo. :(

I'll take a break from it for a week or two. The weight literally fell off me without exercise last time.

I'm pretty certain you're be building muscle mass. You've got nothing to lose by cutting it out for a while.

Hi steve sorry can't give you any advice on the exercise,but am sure as said above you are probably gaining muscle.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do,I am sure those scales will eventually start moving in the right direction.
lorna x

Steve, I made a similar post to this a few weeks back and it was you that suggested i should cut down my running. I really didn't want to give up my running but i tried everything else. well i cut back on the running and i started losing again.

I'm now doing 3 runs a week and i've added a couple of protien shakes when i run. My energy has grown and i think my body has now got efficient and burning fat for fuel.

I suggest you cut down (not out) your excerise cause like me you're very active, it might just help you get kick started.

Last edited:
I know Zim, what am I like? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your support, guys! I've decided to cut the P90 for a week or two to see if anything changes.

I'll be replacing it with long walks with my dog to keep the cardio ticking along.

My training buddy Drew was very supportive too. :)

You must be gaining muscle, it might be worth investing in a set of scales that work out percentages in body weight. You have been so inspirational in your posts and seem so focused. It's not the end of the world to just reduce the exercise a bit for a week or two and see if it does make a difference?

Don't be too down on yourself .... You are almost certainly a great deal fitter than 6 weeks ago x

Thanks Chell, I use the US Navy method for calculating fat % based on various body measurements and age.

I'm certainly much fitter, but just as rotund. :cry:

As mentioned, I'm easing back on the exercise intensity and we'll see where we'll be, as my gran would have said. :D

Will do Steve, ta!

Back