About to start going to gym, what to wear?

rosieposie

Hi
Hope someone can give me some advice please.
I'm going to start going to the gym next week to do a bit of gentle exercise to start with and hopefully work my way up to more.
I'm 5' 4" and size 20 so any ideas on what would be sensible to wear please?

don't want to look worse than I need to and also of course spend too much money as hopefully all clothes will be too big soon.

thanks if you can help.

Hi I'm about the same size and I wear tracksuit bottoms and a black t shirt. Make sure u have a good sports bra. No one bothers looking as they are busy working out !! Good luck

it really doesn't matter what you wear so long as you can move around and not get too hot. I started going to the gym as a size 26 with a huge pair of jersey bottoms and a massive men's t-shirt. Just make sure you have a decent sports bra as it will really make you feel like you're not wobbling about as much.
All the best with the gym. It can become addicitve (in a good way) so I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks so much for your replies.
Now I will go and get some tracksuit bottoms and try and find a large T shirt.
Shops are limited near us but hopefully will find something to fit.
Encouraged now and aiming to start tuesday when i up my membership to include gym.
I currently do water workouts and aqua gym which i enjoy but need something weight bearing.
Don't like gym but last time when I did LL I had to go to gym to get reasonable weight losses. I have an underactive thyroid and my age both conspire against me getting large weight losses I think.
So gym here I come.

Hey :) that's awesome you have decided to join a gym. It was so hard for me to actually walk into the gym but felt silly afterwards as everyone was wonderful. I was really lucky as where I was living there was a family run gym and everyone was dead friendly etc. I was about a size 20 when I joined as well. The VERY BEST pair of workout trousers I have ever purchased are these:
http://www.marksandspencer.com/Acti...030&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3
Yes, I know they are near £20 but I can not recommend them enough. As a bigger girl I didn't want low cut workout bottoms as most of the Nike/Adidas ones are. These ones sit at your natural waist and I felt that they just seemed to smooth everything out and make me feel a bit better. Also, I started with sweatpants but they were just so heavy and hot. These are much more flattering, cooling and I must have about 5 pairs now :)

On top I would wear just a sports bra and a t-shirt. Even at 20stone I only ever managed a B cup size chest :/ the only skinny thing about me. I didn't get my tops from M&S but they are also really good and come in a really good range of sizes.

Good luck and you should be so proud of yourself :) x x

Thanks so much for website link. Decided to spoil myself (even though, hopefully, they won't fit for too long) so I have ordered them online to pick up in our small M&S which doesn't stock them.
Not looking forward to actually going into gym but sure it will be alright once I'm there. I do know that some older ladies go and hopefully some larger ladies. But I am determined to get this weight off.
Pleased with myself this morning as cooked my husband a fried breakfast (he's skinny) and really didn't feeling any cravings for one at all. Sunday roast, which he will cook for himself bless him, will be more challenging as the smell is in the kitchen for so long, but I managed last week so must do same this week.
You're doing really well with your weight loss. So encouraging to the rest of us starting out.

Hope they fit you well, i absolutely love mine :) and I know it's easier said than done but when you're in the gym just keep reminding yourself why you're there. to be fit and healthy and to feel good about yourself :) there may be loads of other people who are bigger, or you may be one of the few - either way you'll be inspiring to people regardless.
when i first started i couldn't run for 30 seconds. honestly. and last year i ran a 10k and it took me 1hr an 7 minutes. you can do this :) x x

Hi Likeafirework
My OH picked them up for me from store this morning and they are really nice. Do still show off some cellulite but not too bad I guess. I do look like the back of a bus but doing something about that now.
Thanks for encouragement, just have to bite the bullet and o what you say about thinking.
Aiming to go tomorrow morning to have a go, so will let you know how it goes.

Awesome :)
Do you have an induction in the gym? If you do there will be a lot to take in. Once you get comfortable and you want to know how to use a machine or do an exercise or just ask for some help, please do ask them. I've worked out in gyms where they are super not friendly (like the one I am in now) but I just ask them and think "It's their job - they can sit behind the counter after they help me :)"
Start strong, start sturdy, and it's ok if you fall. It's completely ok. Just make sure you get your behind back up :) Cause the quicker you get it up the quicker you'll love it.
Keep me posted :) x x

Well done it :):):). I went today, just for 45 minutes but I went!!! Burnt an enormous 27 calories.
I took the advice and just ignored how I looked and I didn't notice anyone looking at me. I had made my mind up that it doesn't matter what anyone else there thinks. I'm doing this for me.

I had the induction over a year ago and then just never went again.
I found it really too much to take in then but just asked today how to use 2 pieces of equipment, treadmill and what used to be called the cross trainer but has some fancy name now.
Unfortunately the latter really hurt my knees so only did 5 minutes on it. Hoping that with more weight loss i might be able to do a bit more in time.
I have booked a one to one session for Monday so hopefully can get a programme tailored to my health limitations. Wear and tear on knees, ankles, elbows and back.
So now I just have to make time to go and keep it up.
Weigh in tonight, was hoping for 3lbs but don't think I've done that. Oh to lose weight quickly like some others but again I have to accept how my body works now. The answer of course is don't get old but it is better than the alternative.

AWESOME!! I'm made up for you :D
You've taken a huge step! I know you want to see the weight come off quicker but even if it doesn't please still stick with the gym. It can take about 4 weeks for things to start changing - most importantly it will definitely help with insulin response. I always say that the health and social benefits are usually worth the monthly cost :)
Congrats :) x x x

Back