Adele

*Emsie* said:
Oh right I assumed it was household income :confused:
I'm not sure that wealthy is the correct definition either particularly with the cost of living etc nowadays!

Nope they were going to do that originally but then changed it.

I am intriged to know peoples opinions. After watching Newsnight's discussion tonight should Adele be entitled to child benefit even though she makes millions????

My thoughts are it's not a case of being entitled to child benefit, as said earlier she has paid her taxes etc so yes she is entitled, but I think she (& others in a simliar situations) should be able to 'opt out'.

Child benefit was originally brought in just after the war & was specifically 'an income' for mums so they would stay at home & look after the children, thus the men, could go out to work. However, it no longer serves that purpose, IMO child benefit should be stopped altogether & the money given to people to enhance benefits, so those who need the money get it.

Personally I think that if someone is wealthy, they probably have a decent job and have done for a while and have probably paid far more into the tax pot than they'll take out of it. Its people who've lived a life off benefits having never put anything in who I have beef with

The well off/wealthy/whatever you want to call them do get hit.... they pay 40% income tax!

Again, it's all down to individual perception of wealthy isn't it?

CB for one child is £82 per month. I don't think it goes up the same per child, I think it's less for the second one and I'm not certain if there is a cap.

jaylou said:
CB for one child is £82 per month. I don't think it goes up the same per child, I think it's less for the second one and I'm not certain if there is a cap.

I get £188 per month for 3 kids X

I think thats what I used to get for 3 too.
I wonder what the income level is that would mean that you wouldn't notice £180 a month coming in? I think the problem is they are taking money away and if you have been having money coming in you will have been using it for something even if not necessarily something you can't live without.
I wish they could change things with the benefit system where people didnt end up staying on benefits because they are better off than earning. I crossed that bridge and it was very disheartening and felt like 1 step forward 2 steps back and I was someone who wanted to work!

I didn't think it went up the same per child.

I think it is much needed, whatever you earn. £82 pays for bus fares and school lunches - just!!!!

I think the problem is they are taking money away and if you have been having money coming in you will have been using it for something even if not necessarily something you can't live without.

Quite agree! See my post about bus fares and lunches!!!

gettingfit said:
OH pays 40%.

I didn't realise child benefit was so much now.Pity my child bearing days are over.

This family will lose £180 approx a month,Surly if there earning £100k a year they won't miss it.Just think what that could do for those not so well off who are living on the bread line or below or helping out the elderly.Ok they have worked hard to get where they are and what they have but I still think those with money wouldn't miss the child benefit.

Angela Epstein's furious attack on the Government: 'My family is losing child benefit just for earning £100k' | Mail Online

You would be surprised at how far £100k a year goes, or not as the case may be.

If you earn £100k a year you pay about £50k in tax & National Insurance - leaving £50k a year

If you live in the South east, the average 3 bed house is £300k - mortgage ( interest only) is about £1500 a month/ £17k a year on a house that price. Council tax, £150 per mont/£1700 a year. Gas & electric, £200 per month/ £2400 a year. If you travel into London for work (which is likely) that's £10k a year. That £31k gone before you've bought food (approx £500 a month if you have kids) - £6k gone. Plus your workplace lunches - in London £5 a day/£25 a week/£100 a month/ £1200 a year!. Pension contributions - 10% of your gross salary - £10k.

So, you're left with less than £2k disposable income for the year.

Now ask yourself if you think not seeing your kids because you work all the hours god sends in your £100k a year job is worth that!

Are they better off than most? Yup, most definitely. Are they wealthy! Nope!

kingleds said:
You would be surprised at how far £100k a year goes, or not as the case may be.

If you earn £100k a year you pay about £50k in tax & National Insurance - leaving £50k a year

If you live in the South east, the average 3 bed house is £300k - mortgage ( interest only) is about £1500 a month/ £17k a year on a house that price. Council tax, £150 per mont/£1700 a year. Gas & electric, £200 per month/ £2400 a year. If you travel into London for work (which is likely) that's £10k a year. That £31k gone before you've bought food (approx £500 a month if you have kids) - £6k gone. Plus your workplace lunches - in London £5 a day/£25 a week/£100 a month/ £1200 a year!. Pension contributions - 10% of your gross salary - £10k.

So, you're left with less than £2k disposable income for the year.

Now ask yourself if you think not seeing your kids because you work all the hours god sends in your £100k a year job is worth that!

Are they better off than most? Yup, most definitely. Are they wealthy! Nope!

Well put!!!

Back