Advice needed from all you runners!

large_lump

My friend who is also doing slimming world has just signed up to the brighton marathon for next year and is trying to get me to sign up too! now, I enjoy running but have never really stuck to it (silly I know) but like the thought of doing this. However, I weigh 18st 6.5lb as of weigh in yesterday and dont know if this will hinder how quickly i can get fit. I have a whole year till the run but I dont want to sign up and have to defer just because i couldnt get there in time!

so how quickly do you get into the swing of things with training etc? any advice on this is greatly received! x

Go for it! In a year, you could have lost at least 4 stone (a pound a week) or nearly 8 stone (averaging 2 pounds a week) and more or less depending on how well you stick to plan! I think a year to train and do a marathon is a great timescale! You can start off on 5km training plans and move up as you progress! Runners come in all shapes and sizes, you don't have to have the physique of Paula Radcliffe to finish! I say 'go for it', really what have you got to lose, other than excess pounds, and what have you got to gain - a sense of achievement, inch loss, get fit and healthy, oh and don't forget black toenails!!! :D

I started running last year and loved it and have vowed to start it up again tomorrow night - I let the long cold nights give me the excuse not to carry on and that was silly! xxx

OK so Brighton is in February 2012.
How far can you run at the moment? One is advised to leave 16 weeks to train properly, and you have plenty of time, plenty of time to run a 10km, 10 miler, half marathon, kilomathon and a 20mile race before completely the 26.2miles on the big day.

Size isn't too much of a concern, the weight will start dropping off if you train hard enough and eat well. It is about whether you have the time, strength and determination to train and keep it up - a very personal decision only you know in your heart.

Also... I'm thinking perhaps you watched the marathon today? Tell your friend you need to wait at least 3 weeks, when you've forgotten about all the smiling faces you saw cross the finish line and realise how hard it is at 18miles to keep going.

Good luck whatever you decide. Brighton half is a good race too....

Thank you! I really want to do it but needed someone to tell me I wasnt aiming too high! Like you say It gives me something to aim for! x

Back