Advice please

oasis6918

Gold Member
Is it possible to follow this plan without buying books? I'm on maternity leave and can't afford to buy the books x

Yes, absolutely, low GI is a way of eating rather than one set plan. That said, if you have access to a local library it would be worth checking out a book so you can get the general gist of things.

One of the simplest ways to follow low GI is a traffic light system. This is where you try to focus on eating mostly 'green light' foods, fewer 'yellow light' foods, and avoid 'red light' foods. You still need to keep to sensible portions as although you won't be counting calories, calories still count. :)

A sample traffic light foods list is here:

The GI Diet - Glycemic Index Traffic Light Food Chart

Also have a look through the stickies in this forum, there's a lot of good information there. :)

The South Beach Diet is also low GI and you may find the guidelines for that useful as you start, to give you a framework to follow. There's a lot of info available online. It's a phased diet, most people start in phase 1 for two weeks but if you prefer you can start with phase 2.

South Beach Diet Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3

:)

Thank you that's really helpful. I will have to have a look at the library. I'm currently calorie counting but thought if I combine it with eating low gi foods it might help me. Whether it will help or not but I will have a look into it further thanks for your help x

I eat low GI but also calorie count and it works really well for me. I don't usually feel hungry and I feel a lot healthier. :) So I can totally recommend this approach if that's what you're considering. :)

That's great thanks. Will give it a go next few days to get my head round it, them commit to it 100% from Friday. I have an awful lot to lose x

That's great I'm goin to have a look at these. I've also ordered a book through the library about the south beach diet x

Back