Afro Caribbean section

You can buy cassava crisps, so I presume it is usually deep fried. My friend brought me over some from the Caymans a few years back, but I wasn't keen on them.

The other things are Asian eggplants :)

Thanks BritMum! :) Better get scouting for something to stick them in as they are rapidly going soft. Then again next to the kettle for admiration is probably not the best place to keep them... :rolleyes: *Tootles off to fridge*...

LOL ermintrude!!!

Don't feel like a moron for being adventurous; it's inspiring!

When is saturday soup day? Is it actually gonna be on Saturday?? Lol

heh, Ive got it on the list for Wednesday... Wednesday soup anyone? :rolleyes: :D But Im not sure yet, I might make it tonight. Ive already got the chicken out as we were gonna have chicken kebab tonight as I had a sudden urge cos I havent had it in ages...

I usually keep procrastinating like this until I actually find a totally random vegetable in my hand and start chopping, then think, oh right, so THAT's what we're having for tea then... :rolleyes:

I got this off the SW website. I've tried it and it was lovely, although I used mutton instead of lamb and served with rice instead of potatoes.

My husband is Jamaican and he enjoyed it. Definitely one we've continued.

Caribbean Lamb
Serves 4
0.5 syns on EE and Red

Ingredients

2 level tsp turmeric
2 level tsp cumin
227g/8oz fat-free natural fromage frais
681g/1½ lb lean lamb, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
852ml/1½pt stock made with Bovril
1 level tsp ginger
1 level tsp paprika
1 level tsp all spice
salt & pepper
1 level tsp cinnamon
1 level tsp coriander
1 level tsp nutmeg
1 level tsp dry mustard
198g/7oz tomatoes, chopped
1 level tsp cornflour

1. Mix the turmeric and cumin into the fromage frais. Pour over the lamb and leave to marinate over night.

2. Dry fry the onion in 284ml/½ pint of the stock and gradually add the remaining spices. Gently cook for 4 minutes.

3. Add the lamb mixture, the rest of the stock and the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for approximately 2 hours until the lamb is soft and tender.

4. Mix the cornflour with a little water and add to the rest of the mixture. Mix well.

5. Serve with new potatoes (chosen as a Healthy Extra on Original) and Free vegetables of your choice.

Scorpiolady2710 said:
I got this off the SW website. I've tried it and it was lovely, although I used mutton instead of lamb and served with rice instead of potatoes.

My husband is Jamaican and he enjoyed it. Definitely one we've continued.

Caribbean Lamb
Serves 4
0.5 syns on EE and Red

Ingredients

2 level tsp turmeric
2 level tsp cumin
227g/8oz fat-free natural fromage frais
681g/1½ lb lean lamb, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
852ml/1½pt stock made with Bovril
1 level tsp ginger
1 level tsp paprika
1 level tsp all spice
salt & pepper
1 level tsp cinnamon
1 level tsp coriander
1 level tsp nutmeg
1 level tsp dry mustard
198g/7oz tomatoes, chopped
1 level tsp cornflour

1. Mix the turmeric and cumin into the fromage frais. Pour over the lamb and leave to marinate over night.

2. Dry fry the onion in 284ml/½ pint of the stock and gradually add the remaining spices. Gently cook for 4 minutes.

3. Add the lamb mixture, the rest of the stock and the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for approximately 2 hours until the lamb is soft and tender.

4. Mix the cornflour with a little water and add to the rest of the mixture. Mix well.

5. Serve with new potatoes (chosen as a Healthy Extra on Original) and Free vegetables of your choice.

Hey Scorpiolady,
Welcome. This recipe sounds nice. I'll give it a go when I next buy some mutton.
Mama x

Would really appreciate some more Caribbean recipes to help with the weight loss...if it's at all possible.

Anybody?

Scorpiolady2710 said:
Would really appreciate some more Caribbean recipes to help with the weight loss...if it's at all possible.

Anybody?

Check out my blog. Mama's meals.

Let me know if ur interested in anything .Will be putting up recipes over the next few days

Ok...that's great thanks! :thankyou:

I cooked a whole Jamaican meal last night for 14 people. Sw friendly brown stew chicken (free), rice & peas (3 syns a portion), jerk chicken & pork (nearly syn free), goat curry (3 syns a portion) beef patties & chicken patties( no at all Sw friendly :)) and festivals, again, not Sw friendly!

I checked with my C & she confirmed that the Dunns river seasonings are free ( except the jerk one which has sugar in it),i also used the kallo coconut milm in the rice & peas which is a hea so ypu could even have a completely syn free meal!

kingleds said:
I cooked a whole Jamaican meal last night for 14 people. Sw friendly brown stew chicken (free), rice & peas (3 syns a portion), jerk chicken & pork (nearly syn free), goat curry (3 syns a portion) beef patties & chicken patties( no at all Sw friendly :)) and festivals, again, not Sw friendly!

I checked with my C & she confirmed that the Dunns river seasonings are free ( except the jerk one which has sugar in it),i also used the kallo coconut milm in the rice & peas which is a hea so ypu could even have a completely syn free meal!

OMG, where's mine???

Sounds flippin amazing. Please share the recipes in the recipe section, especially the brown stew chicken and the jerk pork as I always like to have new ways of doing things.

kingleds said:
Oh yeah - ackee is 2.5 syns per 28g btw

Cheers honey. I made some today so will be enjoying s nice breakfast for the next few days.

Do you known if saltfish or salt mackrel are free???

mama_mia said:
OMG, where's mine???

Sounds flippin amazing. Please share the recipes in the recipe section, especially the brown stew chicken and the jerk pork as I always like to have new ways of doing things.

I've just been browsing your blog mama - i am stealing the jamaican curry recipe & your rice & peas as well :)

The brown stew chicken is an adapted levi roots recipe, i just don't use butter or 400mls oil., plus i put in a bit more scotch bonnet.

A pack Chicken thighs & legs, skins removed
2 tablespoons all purpose seasoning (dunns river is best i think)
1 tablespoon chicken seaaoning
Lemon juice
1 onion
1 garlic clove
3 scallions
1 scotch bonnet
1 green pepprr
1 red pepper

Marinade the chicken overnight in the lemon juice, all purpose & chicken seaaoning
Spray pan with frylight & brown the chicken pieces for about 5 mins on each side.
Add all the other ingredients, and enough water to cover everything & cook until the gravy has thicken.

The jerk marinade is a bit synful, but you barely use any of it so i don't allocate loads of syns for that. This amount made enough for 12 pork loins & 20 chicken drumsticks, and is freezable

8 garlic cloves
6 scotch bonnets
1 onion
6 scallions
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoon ground all spice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground ginger
8 sprigs thyme

1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup white wine vinegar

Blitz in a blender, pour on meat, marinade overnight then cook for 30mins in the oven, or on the bbq if weather permits

Saltfish isn't free but not sure on the syns can't even find it on the SW site. I know that smoked makerel isn't free so would guess that salted makerel is similar.

Okay, just figured out the syns in the jerk marinade.
40 syns for olive oil
5 syns for orange juice
6 syns for the sugar

Split between 30 pieces of meat thats just under 2 syns a portion. Not so bad

Not even going to do the patties - dread to think how many syns are in the pastry alone!

kingleds said:
I've just been browsing your blog mama - i am stealing the jamaican curry recipe & your rice & peas as well :)

The brown stew chicken is an adapted levi roots recipe, i just don't use butter or 400mls oil., plus i put in a bit more scotch bonnet.

A pack Chicken thighs & legs, skins removed
2 tablespoons all purpose seasoning (dunns river is best i think)
1 tablespoon chicken seaaoning
Lemon juice
1 onion
1 garlic clove
3 scallions
1 scotch bonnet
1 green pepprr
1 red pepper

Marinade the chicken overnight in the lemon juice, all purpose & chicken seaaoning
Spray pan with frylight & brown the chicken pieces for about 5 mins on each side.
Add all the other ingredients, and enough water to cover everything & cook until the gravy has thicken.

The jerk marinade is a bit synful, but you barely use any of it so i don't allocate loads of syns for that. This amount made enough for 12 pork loins & 20 chicken drumsticks, and is freezable

8 garlic cloves
6 scotch bonnets
1 onion
6 scallions
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoon ground all spice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground ginger
8 sprigs thyme

1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup white wine vinegar

Blitz in a blender, pour on meat, marinade overnight then cook for 30mins in the oven, or on the bbq if weather permits

Thanks hon. I love Levi and have his books. Will defo give this a try and post.

Let's share and share alike... Let me know how you get on with the curry. I'll post a pick of the curry powder I use as it's really nice.

The rice and peas doesn't have coconut cream but I know you like it so add yours in and I'm sure it'll be nicer. I tend to save my syns for oil (can't get on with frylight), or chocolate (ok..or rum!) LOL

kingleds said:
Saltfish isn't free but not sure on the syns can't even find it on the SW site. I know that smoked makerel isn't free so would guess that salted makerel is similar.

:0(

That makes ackee and saltfish (something so clean tasting and yummy) a bit of a 'no-go' area. Poo...

Don't know why smoking and Salting increases fat content

I was told by my ex-consultant that mackeral holds onto it's (already high) oil content during the smoking process which is why it has a syn value when a lot of other smoked fish doesn't.

Don't know how true that is, she was prone to randomly making stuff up to keep us quiet!

JezVonSavage said:
I was told by my ex-consultant that mackeral holds onto it's (already high) oil content during the smoking process which is why it has a syn value when a lot of other smoked fish doesn't.

Don't know how true that is, she was prone to randomly making stuff up to keep us quiet!

LOL... Thanks Jez, it at least gives me some sort of answer... LOL

Back