Alcohol and SW

Well, I can't say I did brilliantly on the alcohol front this weekend, as had vino all three nights, but did manage to avoid serious hangover munchies and stick to the plan food-wise. Have decided to institute 'guilt free Friday' where I can have a Chinese Takeaway with hubby (as long as I choose sensibly) and a bottle of wine without worrying about syns. Going to Stick to under 10 syns a day for the rest of the week to make up for this and AM NOT going to touch alcohol any other night!!

Hmmm...well this week is not looking good. About 92 syns on alcohol (damn alcopops and Apple Sourz!) make Sia a very bad girl, and the diet a complete mess for the week! :eek:

I did say I was a lush, but I'm never usually that bad, oops! :eek::eek:

I don't dri k at all even at weddings I ve had 1 glass of wine and sips of the toast... I used to drink but a bottle of diet come with crips on sat wont lead to over indulgence like wine wod .. The pleasure from.bOoze is short lived compared to 2 or 3lb off on the scales .. Alchohol is a waste of syns zx all shoot me now Loki know I'm lucky that going without don't bother me

This is a very useful thread. I used to drink a lot between the age of 18 & 22 and Im pretty sure thats why i've put on a lot of weight. Now i very rarely go out but when I do now, instead of having beer and wine (which i do love) Im now having vodka and diet coke. Annoying as they dont last as long but I know i can have a lot more than i could if i was still drinking pints of lager.

So, Day 1 went well, despite being a stress-fest at work. Stuck absolutely to plan with absolutely no alcohol. Weighed myself this morning yes, I know I shouldn't, but was curious - put on 2lb.

Hey ho. Will stick at it and the weight will start to fall off, I'm sure...

So, Day 1 went well, despite being a stress-fest at work. Stuck absolutely to plan with absolutely no alcohol. Weighed myself this morning yes, I know I shouldn't, but was curious - put on 2lb.

Hey ho. Will stick at it and the weight will start to fall off, I'm sure...

It's not only the calories in the alcohol but while your liver and body processes the alcohol your metabolism can drop by over 60% as well. So there should be a double benefit.
Well done on getting through Day 1.
I've given up daily weighing as I can't figure why I am up and down like a yo yo & it has led to the odd what the hell I'll have a bottle wine days when I've felt the scales weren't showing anything for my effort. Breaking my alcohol ban Friday though. Hope to stick to vodka but I do miss lager.

Hi Im not officially starting SW until Thurs and i can so relate to this thread. I just love wine! I have put on so much weight since summer '11 and im sure its down to wine and as much as i dont want to admit this i do feel i am slightly dependent on wine as it helps me unwind at the end of the day and i have been drinking most nights.But im thinking in order for SW to work i am going to have to really really really cut down possibly even have a break from the booze, even if its just for a few weeks. Ive not had any wine since fri night which is v good for me.

It's not only the calories in the alcohol but while your liver and body processes the alcohol your metabolism can drop by over 60% as well. So there should be a double benefit.

I had no idea that it also made the metabolism drop...well, well...every day is a school day!!!

Hi Im not officially starting SW until Thurs and i can so relate to this thread. I just love wine! I have put on so much weight since summer '11 and im sure its down to wine and as much as i dont want to admit this i do feel i am slightly dependent on wine as it helps me unwind at the end of the day and i have been drinking most nights.But im thinking in order for SW to work i am going to have to really really really cut down possibly even have a break from the booze, even if its just for a few weeks. Ive not had any wine since fri night which is v good for me.

Good on you Jess - When I get through this 2 weeks (which will probably feel like 12!) I am going to go back to what I did before I hit interim target...Wednesday was weigh-in night, so I would treat myself (afterwards, of course) to beer, wine and a take-out. Then back on plan Thursday morning for the rest of the week, with any alcohol being counted in my Syns.

Worked a treat. Okay, I probably would have lost more had I not done the Wednesday treat, but it made the whole thing so much more bearable. I even looked forward to my weigh-in!

Talking of which, I start back with them tomorrow to get down to my full target...

Good luck on Thursday :)

I just came across this thread, and as a serious lush find it nice that other people find cutting out the booze hard. Before I started the diet I had 2-3 bottles of wine per week, more if I was going out, never was a person who could leave one glass in the bottle, thought it looked lonely!! I think now, I am much more sensible, have been on plan for 10 weeks and the weeks I did not drink I have lost a pound or sts. normally I average about 2.5lbs per week. I think that as I know that wine is 30 syns per bottle I know where I stand with the count. If I am not drinking, (which has happened only twice... I am not crazy) I think i am less careful about the little things you eat, cutting more cheese, having a slice of cake, ect. so actually, I think alcohol helps - thats my story and I am sticking to it!!

Day 2 - piece of cake! No, I didn't have a piece of cake, 'cos that would be off plan...did watch Great British Bake Off, but I digress...

As I was driving home I did think "Ooh, I just fancy a glass of wine", but the thought soon passed and I had some sugar free lemonade instead.

Had another sneaky weigh and have lost the 2lb I put on yesterday....

I just came across this thread, and as a serious lush find it nice that other people find cutting out the booze hard. Before I started the diet I had 2-3 bottles of wine per week, more if I was going out, never was a person who could leave one glass in the bottle, thought it looked lonely!! I think now, I am much more sensible, have been on plan for 10 weeks and the weeks I did not drink I have lost a pound or sts. normally I average about 2.5lbs per week. I think that as I know that wine is 30 syns per bottle I know where I stand with the count. If I am not drinking, (which has happened only twice... I am not crazy) I think i am less careful about the little things you eat, cutting more cheese, having a slice of cake, ect. so actually, I think alcohol helps - thats my story and I am sticking to it!!

I kind of get where you're coming from with the alcohol helping you to stay on track. Provided I don't binge terribly (like last Saturday, oops! :eek:) I tend to feel the same...I account fo rthe booze properly, whereas if I don't drink then I'm more complacent about food.

dudette2001uk said:
I kind of get where you're coming from with the alcohol helping you to stay on track. Provided I don't binge terribly (like last Saturday, oops! :eek:) I tend to feel the same...I account fo rthe booze properly, whereas if I don't drink then I'm more complacent about food.

I'm the opposite. If I drink I'll Hoover up any food within a 10 mile radius cos I get pi**ed so easily and don't give a monkeys -till the following day. Then I get hangover munchies. Me and alcohol are best kept apart cos I get drunk so quickly and have the most horrendous hangovers no matter what I drink! Always been the same.

parker said:
A friend of mine used to put pennies in her pocket. Each time she ordered a vodka she'd leave a penny on the bar. Then at the end of the night when things may not be so clear, she'd count how many pennies were left and she knew how many drinks she'd had.

Such a good idea because it all gets a little hazy after a while

Well the weekend was a wipeout a box of wine over 3 nights grrrrrr. So no wine this week. I had gin and tonic last night measured out properly. Go me lol

Was sorely tempted last night - had a funeral during the day, which wasn't a leasant experience - but MissusQ kept me on track. Well done her! So, 3 days, 100% no alcohol. Thought I would feel better each morning, but I'm actually feeling more tired than ever!

I agree with some of the comments on here - alcohol and snacking go hand in hand for me. Get pi**ed and anything gets eaten!!!

Well, my friends go out every saturday so its been really hard on slimming world nights. Especially as they usually go for a meal before. I don't meet them for the meal now and meet them after, though i did go to the meal once and had tea before, but the torture was horrific and thought if i can remove myself from that i'd rather. My hugest problem is the day after drinking munchies. Sometimes it would be a maccies and a dominos in the same day. yes, that bad. However i have not done that for about a year and since starting slimming world last month, if i go out, i always ensure i save my bread allowance for when i get back so i can make myself a pizza toastie haha. This weekend though my friends leaving for york so we're going out. Decided that to help myself on sunday with the drink eats i'll buy the food saturday day so i know what im eating and don't feel the need to pick up the phone to the takeaway haha. I also give up red wine (unless it's a meal and i'm not going out that weekend) and have single gin and soda water with fresh lime and mint if they have any. Helps loads and goes along way. And i don't feel like death the next day.

Ok - I've been thinking about this long and hard this week, and I think I'm going to have to cut out the booze entirely and see how it goes. I'm just not very good at this 'moderation' thing. So, teetotal for 2 weeks, starting now, see what losses I get, then reassess. Wish me luck!!

Back