Alcohol and SW

synstar

Hi folks,

I know there are some 'Slimming World Lushes' out there (all power to you!!), but was just wondering if anyone has cut out, or seriously cut down on the booze since starting SW? I love a glass (ok - bottle) of vino of an evening, and while I certainly don't drink every night I'm definitiely having more than the recommended 14 units a week :eek:!! I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with my weight problems and I'm thinking about cutting it out completely. I could easily fit a glass in the evening into my syns, but I rarely have just one glass (I actually find stopping at one harder than not having any at all). Anybody else find this, and how have you got round it - abstinence or moderation?

thanks!!

I am an all or nothing girl too! I re-started slimming world after a 2 year break (and putting all the weight I lost back on)... The first time round if I went out I just wouldnt drink (on the odd occassion I did)

I only restarted last week and I went out on saturday and lost 2.5lbs at my first weigh in on monday... I have been saying to myself I need to cut down for sometime so I think the optimizing and cutting out the alcohol will go hand in hand....

With me 1 turns in to 10 and I find it too tempting to be sat in a pub.... Its not so bad if I go for a meal because I am only sat there for a couple of hours (at most) while I eat :)

I limit it now to one bottle of prosecco a week or if willpower allows, per fortnight. Although this is tough as I love my alcohol, I am now realising more and more on this journey that the days proceeding a lot of alcohol are usually full of junk and I end up bingeing on pizza! Another tip I use now is I make sure I drink on a Saturday night, instead of Friday which usually leads to Saturday being a write-off too. Something has to give I'm afraid....yin and yang :) xx

Before SW I would regularly drink on friday night and saturday night and sometimes a few on sunday lunch too.

Now I try to totally cut out any friday/sunday drinks and just have saturdays. With a varying amount of success I must admit - depending on my plans for the weekend!

The thing that's helped most is swapping beer and wine for vodka/gin and slimline tonic which helps my syns go much further. I actually have bought a measure as well, so I'm not pouring 'home measures' when I have a drink

I could have written that post myself. I will easily drink a bottle, and sometimes I'm ashamed to say it 2. I would drink most evenings. I have now tried to cut it out completely, mainly cos I'm likely to kill my liver the way I'm going, but I might allow myself a drink on a Friday or Saturday night. However, I can't stop at one glass, once I start thats it. Plus then the loss of control of what food goes in my mouth afterwards!

It is hard, but this is my first week back on plan, I had a bottle 2 nights ago and I've lost 5lb. I lost 3 stone before on this plan, without the drink and I know it works. I want to be slim more than I want to drink and as Stefanie said, something has to give....

Hi ladies,

Thanks for your replies! I've tried swapping to Vodka, but I just don't get the same pleasure out of it as I do the wine. I guess perhaps the best thing is to try limit it to one bottle on a Friday or Saturday night (saving the syns for it throughout the week), although when I have tried this in the past I have found that by the time Friday finally comes around I'm so looking forward to my 'treat' that I can have inhaled said bottle and started on another in about an hour flat :eek:!!

Oh if only I was one of those people who can put their hand over their glass and say 'no, no top up for me - I've had enough' (I hate those people ;))

But as other have said, something has got to give and I think this may be the key, as I actually don't find the food part too hard once I get into the swing of it.

:)

I do like a drink and will have a 'good drink' at the weekend. Don't tend to drink during the week. I have found that so long as I stick to the food side of things that I can have a drink without worring about the syns. Its the hangover pizza that gets me! So long as I follow the plan 100% with the food I have always lost no matter what I have to drink. Although I do tend to drink vodka / diet coke rather than lager / wine so maybe that's why?!

I drank far too much before starting SW. Have cut it out since starting (only 10 days ago!!) and intend to try and keep it up as long as possible! As much for my appearance (skin) as for my weight.

Oh syns tar that is so me! Inhaling wine that's a perfect description lol. I can easily sink a bottle a night an open bottle is an empty bottle lol. I had 1 bottle over the whole week last week and some vodka and lost 4lbs so this week will be booze on Saturday night only. I need to loose another 60lbs arrrgh

I love my wine far too much and this is definitely why I'm overweight. I'm going to limit it to social occasions while I sort myself out.

Hi folks,

I know there are some 'Slimming World Lushes' out there (all power to you!!), but was just wondering if anyone has cut out, or seriously cut down on the booze since starting SW? I love a glass (ok - bottle) of vino of an evening, and while I certainly don't drink every night I'm definitiely having more than the recommended 14 units a week :eek:!! I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with my weight problems and I'm thinking about cutting it out completely. I could easily fit a glass in the evening into my syns, but I rarely have just one glass (I actually find stopping at one harder than not having any at all). Anybody else find this, and how have you got round it - abstinence or moderation?

thanks!!

*raises lush hand*

Alcohol has SO many dead calories, it is shocking...but I can't claim to be a saint!

I do go through times of abstinance, where I lose more weight than when I use moderation. Occasionally, I still have a night where I don't so much 'fall off the wagon', as hurl myself from it at great speed!

Whichever, I don't feel bad about it, pick myself up and get back on plan. Gotta be able to have some fun, but in the main moderation and ensuring you get back on plan are key....good luck :)

The evils of having a wine-tooth!! I would normally have a couple of bottles of the weekend & a few glasses during the week (we renamed Wednesday 'wine Wednesday' as its always a stressful childcare/work day & a glass or 2 would be a welcomed reward!!!)

I've been on SW for 3 wks & I have cut the wine right back. I now only have a couple of glasses (measured out for Syn value!) at the weekend & even managed a social evening on 1 glass of wine & the rest diet coke - but it's hard!!!! But whilst I am super motivated I am taking strenghth from the fact I'm still eating well & the weight is coming off!

We have another social evening on Saturday & I'm going to do my best to be good. I read on here somewhere that Port is pretty low. So I'm thinking port & diet lemonade with ice & a slice may work! And if it's in a wine glass I could possibly trick myself a bit! It's worth a try!!

Of an evening I sometimes have diet tonic water on ice in a wine glass - I can, sort of feel like I'm drinking a G&T - not as good as the real thing but makes a change from diet coke or water!!

CJxxx

I also LOVE a drink! *hic*
However, i was drinking way to much before SW (didnt need AA lol) and had been saying to myself for a long time i need to cut down alot. SW has done this for me and i feel so much better! I still have a drink, but have learnt to limit it, its being fat and tipsy or being slim and having a drink in moderation, its all about choice and self responsibility :) ...i might add here that it was my best friends birtday at the weekend and i drank to much and gained 1.5lbs at WI!! X

*another lush raising her hand* ;)

I understand where you're coming from with the alcohol and SW...I'm usually an all or nothing girl, there's no such thing as 1 or 2 as far as I'm concerned. I have, however, recently swapped from pints of lager and lime to vodka, lime and soda...I don't like it as much, so I drink it slower, and even if I end up drinking 8 or 10 (did I mention I was a lush?! ;)) that still only a maximum of 40, and I can easily work that into the plan as I tend to make food that's syn free other than the condiments I choose to have with it :)

I will say though that I only drink on Saturdays (and maybe a sneaky drink on Sunday night at the pub quiz), which helps me to limit the alcohol intake. I think if I was going out more often I'd never lose any weight, lol! What I do have to watch out for though is hangover munchies...when I'm hungover I crave the cheese and spring onion/onion sarnies form the supermarket which are laden with mayonnaise, cheese and syns. Not good for the diet! I practically feel them welding themselves to my backside with every bite, haha!

*another lush raising her hand* ;)

I understand where you're coming from with the alcohol and SW...I'm usually an all or nothing girl, there's no such thing as 1 or 2 as far as I'm concerned. I have, however, recently swapped from pints of lager and lime to vodka, lime and soda...I don't like it as much, so I drink it slower, and even if I end up drinking 8 or 10 (did I mention I was a lush?! ;)) that still only a maximum of 40, and I can easily work that into the plan as I tend to make food that's syn free other than the condiments I choose to have with it :)

I will say though that I only drink on Saturdays (and maybe a sneaky drink on Sunday night at the pub quiz), which helps me to limit the alcohol intake. I think if I was going out more often I'd never lose any weight, lol! What I do have to watch out for though is hangover munchies...when I'm hungover I crave the cheese and spring onion/onion sarnies form the supermarket which are laden with mayonnaise, cheese and syns. Not good for the diet! I practically feel them welding themselves to my backside with every bite, haha!

Great point with hangover munchies - that's a killer! My hangovers usually start with Bacon Sarnies and deteriorate significantly during the day. Vodka/Gin/White Rum based drinks are better for SW, with diet coke (other cola beverages are available), tonic, sugar free fizzy pop..... all good drinks to have, rather than beers or wine.

My 1.5lbs was allllllll vodka! Lol. Many maaaany vodkas! X

Have had a bet with a mate - 2 weeks with NO alcohol, starting tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.

Am enjoying my last night, though! 4 bottles of cider....mmmmm......

Have had a bet with a mate - 2 weeks with NO alcohol, starting tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.

Am enjoying my last night, though! 4 bottles of cider....mmmmm......

I am now on Day 10 alcohol free - not that I'm counting or anything :D Good Luck with getting to 14. Hoping I will.
Worked as a bar manager for years, so anytime after 3pm could be wine o'clock and I can down pints of lager faster than many guys & keep going. Since I had the kids it was more wine treat time but one glass was never enough - hell, one bottle wasn't most times. Since I started SW have cut back to one night a week but switched to vodka slimline tonic (I swear diet coke is pure poison, the hangover from it is hellish) - the hangover isn't as bad - a SW fry and a good walk sorts me out, rather than losing a whole day waiting for hair of the dog.
Right now I'm happier to be losing weight than drinking - after all it isn't forever (I hope).

Back