Already feeling guilty for something I haven't even done yet!

Faybe88

I've been doing slimming world for almost 3 weeks and I am doing well but sooo scared that i'll fall of the wagon, though I really want to do it. There has been so many times I have tried, and failed miserably to lose weight.

I have a night out planned for tomorrow night with all my friends, this is the first night out I have had since September! I will be drinking vodka diet coke and I'll probably get a chicken shish on the way home.. That's not that bad is it? (especially with all the body magic from dancing hehe)

I read all these blogs and posts on here where people are amazingly good at dieting, have like 5 syns each day and i envy them.. Because I know I'll never be that person. I know that there'll be weekends when I think sod it, lets have a bottle of wine and a chinese... Or, sod it lets have a bag of minstrels in front of the telly.. (not every weekend obviously)

I'm one of those people who can think about eating a doughnut and put 3lbs on.. That's just what I am like..So slimming world for me isn't a short term thing whilst i lose weight, this is forever! I just think if i deny myself of everything that I like every single day for the rest of my life.. I just don't think i'll stick to this diet and I'll just be fat forever :(

Basically I want someone to tell me that I can have a night out every once in a while at the ripe old age of 24 and have a good night and a boogie and a bag of chips on the way home without beating myself up about it for weeks afterward :confused:

I have off plan meals most weeks. If it is just one or two meals and I am on plan the rest of the week, I can still lose a good amount. Sometimes going off plan for one evening leads to a few days of eating rubbish and obviously this affects my weight losses. I wouldn't be happy thinking that I would never again have pizza or Chocolate brownies for example and sometime I can factor treats into the plan and sometimes I cheat. I do think that knowing I can do this sometimes motivates me at other times to resist temptation.

As you can see from my stats my losses have been fairly slow but I am getting close to target now. I hope to maintain and continue into te long term. A quick loss by being perfect for a short time followed by giving up and regaining would not be any good.

The main thing is to be on plan most of the time and to keep coming back to group and back to the sw way of eating.

My weigh in day is on Monday, which is a good thing for me! Especially this weekend!! I've made sure i've got plenty of superfree food in the house for my hangover sunday and drink plenty of water! I'm not even that fussed about a massive loss on Monday, as long as I don't put on really then thats great! I have been really good all week because I knew I would be going out tomorrow night!
I just don't want to panic and stress myself out about having a night out! Just as much as I don't want to think, well I went out.. So i've already forgot the diet, then it's the slippery slope and I'm back to where I started!! Thanks for your post! x

hmm you keep saying diet and can't and want. It's a bit like Diet = can't => WANT. My weekness is chocolate and I enjoy some nearly every day. I don't think what I can't have but what I can have and most of all what I want to have. I plan all my meals so I can just do one big shop, and it is always things I want to eat and I enjoy. "Diet" doesn't enter my head, even now, 45 weeks on and 4 stone 8 lbs lighter. I've had pizza, birthdays, Easter, eating out. Nothing is off limits so there is no deprevation or feeling hard done by, or guilty. I never feel guilty for eating. nom nom nom. hopefully given time and image therapy the idea of diet and denial and guilt will fade. Enjoy your night out :)

Oh, and during my time I have had gains, but that doesn't mean I've failed. Don't write yourself off just yet :)

hmm you keep saying diet and can't and want. It's a bit like Diet = can't => WANT. My weekness is chocolate and I enjoy some nearly every day. I don't think what I can't have but what I can have and most of all what I want to have. I plan all my meals so I can just do one big shop, and it is always things I want to eat and I enjoy. "Diet" doesn't enter my head, even now, 45 weeks on and 4 stone 8 lbs lighter. I've had pizza, birthdays, Easter, eating out. Nothing is off limits so there is no deprevation or feeling hard done by, or guilty. I never feel guilty for eating. nom nom nom. hopefully given time and image therapy the idea of diet and denial and guilt will fade. Enjoy your night out :)

Oh, and during my time I have had gains, but that doesn't mean I've failed. Don't write yourself off just yet :)

Hi Faybee. I totally agree with what Fran says above in that this is the time when you start to think about what you want rather than feeling deprived. I think planning is the biggest key to sticking to this way of eating so having a "sod it" mentality will definitely derail you. If you are having a night out, count up how many syns you are likely to have and either have a flexi syn night where you stop once you reach your limit then get back on plan next meal, or factor it into your syns for the week. Play about with your syns for a bit to see if you are someone who can save them and use them providing you don't feel deprived if you haven't got as many left for other days of the week. (This is why flexi days may be better but I'm not sure you could do this every week and lose weight, I know I couldn't though I have used it a couple of times and had a maintain or modest loss).

It may be that you factor these nights in to your plan and accept that losses may be a bit slower but that you are managing a lifestyle that suits you. There are some great threads on here where people discuss flexi synning and even one where people in their 20's talk about doing the plan (sadly I'm way too old for that being 44 ;-)).

You can do this and still enjoy life if you plan your food well so that you can fill up on lots of super free and free food and make sure you incorporate lots of super speed foods into your plan. Good luck :)

As long as you stick to the plan the majority of the time then you can have off plan treats every so often. Your plan for your night out sounds good anyway, vodka and diet coke is low and a chicken shish the only syns are whatever oil they use (as long as you don't eat a pitta)

I started slimming world in April 2011 and got to target just before Christmas, I gained 7lbs over Christmas but I got back there again. Since then I've had plenty of off plan things ect. I think I'm like you, slimming world is for life, but because its for life I'm not going to deny myself ''naughty treats'' every so often.

If I came off plan properly I would pile weight on and wouldn't worry about pizza, chocolate ect. (although I could never imagine stopping slimming world to be honest, I think I'd always be secretly counting syns) but because of that I'm not going to feel guilty if I have a night out and a few drinks, or if I eat a big pizza and some cake for someones Birthday

I so agree with all these posts. We are out tonight at sons for a meal and a few drinks. I am at target, husband at the start of his journey but he has saved his syns up for tonight, like I have. For me this is a way of life now, its not a diet per say but a life style change. I no longer crave naughty things, but if I want something I have it. You have only just started, in a little while you will start to crave the really good superfree foods and other cravings will diminish, trust me! I have been doing S W since Jan 2011 and it really is sustainable for life. Just keep bobbing on here for support and help if you need it. We have all had bad times, but the reward is so worth it, and you will do this! Sending friendly waves :)

Weigh in today... 3.5lbs on!
I’m absolutely gutted as I didn’t think I had been THAT bad. Didn’t even take any food home with me, just shows that I am one of those unfortunate people who just can’t have a splurge. I had been really good all week, so I really didn’t think I would gain THAT much.
Oh well, start of a new week! Hope for a good loss next Monday! Thanks for all of your comments!

:( :( :( :( :(

Could be a bit of fluid retention? I get that if I overdo the booze.

Stay on plan and aim for a fab wi next Monday :)

Thats what the leader said.. I know I don't drink enough water, I'm really naughty. But I'm a staff nurse in a very very busy psychiatric hospital! I always forget to drink, and when I do drink I drink coffee to keep me going! I deffo need to have something I fancy now and then.. This plan is going to be for life! I'm doing a food diary this week to give myself an extra boost. Hoping for a good loss on Monday. I am focussed and determined to at the very least get that 3.5 off I put on this week! Thanks guys! This site is the best invention ever!! xx

Back