Alternative christmas day food

*Emsie*

Gold Member
This year we are staying at home for christmas day for the first time in years (me hubby and 3 kids). I do love a christmas dinner but am wondering whether we should bother with all the prepping/cooking/clearing up etc
Had wondered about going out for a curry but think that would work out expensive and also thought about takeaways but wonder if I/we'd regret it :confused: and miss the xmas food. We usually have a roast on New year so could maybe just do that and we are probably going to mums for the cold meats etc so will still get that boxing day.
I do love the dinner but feel like having really lazy xmas day!

Anyone ever done it?

I plan to meticulously research this prior to the big day and, actually, I think slimming world is liekly to make it not too difficult of a task.

I cook my turkey Christmas Eve and carve it all, then it's just the roasties on Christmas Day!

Now you could do this freeze the meat, cook and freeze the swede (2.5 mins in mic from frozen), Parsnips par boiled and frozen, ready to pop into the oven.
BGTY sausages skin removed into four wrapped in bacon and frozen.
Sprouts, carrots etc can be prepped days on advance.

So on the day.... Cook your spuds, 25 mins before they're done pop the turkey in its foil pkt in the bottom of the oven (you can add a quartered onion to create steam and keep it moist), the parsnips on high from frozen and steam the uncooked veg.

Simples!!!!!

A few years ago, my brother really couldn't be bothered with it all, so did.....wait for it.....

A BBQ - 4 adults, 5 kids, and they loved it - it was also a huge topic of conversation at school

Really, what I'm saying is, anything you fancy goes.....my OH said if it fitted into my plan better, or didn't want to cook, he'll happily have beans on toast lol

I had a thought last night that if you cooked your turkey early, you could also make your Boxing Day curry/stew whatever and have that day off cooking too! Just pop it in the freezer.

I have a buffet on Christmas day, all sw friendly (apart fro the christmas pudding amd trifle, lol) We have a PJ day and all love it. Little stress, Kids big and small can play with their presents. Great fun.:xmassign:

I agree with Shirleen's plan, prep as much as you can in advance and reheat on the day, it tastes just as nice and is very little stress,

I prefer to be able to escape to the kitchen to cook though as I find it relaxing, only want somebody else to do the washing up! paper plates? !

My husband does not like roast dinners though so he has steak and chips, fussy so and so grrrrr.

Back